Author Topic: Store bought cherimoya equivalent to a store-bought mango?  (Read 1230 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Store bought cherimoya equivalent to a store-bought mango?
« on: November 21, 2021, 06:42:32 AM »
Going to be in Palm Springs California area during the December holiday. I've never had cherimoya. Can I go to the grocery store and buy one and expect it to be at Peak flavor. Or would I have to go to a farmers market and hope for the best.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Store bought cherimoya equivalent to a store-bought mango?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 09:53:58 AM »
In my "yout" in SoCal (like 40+ years ago), the cherimoyas you found in stores--primarily health/natural food stores--were often very good.  So seek out Whole Foods.  Dude, you get around!  I hope you like dates.  Coachella Valley is famous for dates.  There used to be some really great grapefruit, too, grown in those parts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:15:17 AM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 12:55:40 PM »
Palm springs isnt that close to the growing areas near the beach.  I doubt you will get good quality cherimoyas if thry have them at all in a store in palm springs.  Even the farmers markets its pretty slim pickins here.  Cherimoya is mostly a backyard fruit.  Very few commercial groves. 
Brad Spaugh

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 03:27:20 PM »
Sprouts had USA grown cherimoya for $6.99 last week.
USA grown cherimoya is probably from the Santa Barbara area, & not hot-water treated.
Chilean grown cherimoya are still good, but since they're hot-water treated, not the best representation.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 11:17:39 PM »
USA grown cherimoya is probably from the Santa Barbara area, & not hot-water treated.
Chilean grown cherimoya are still good, but since they're hot-water treated, not the best representation.
So I'd still give Sprouts in La Quinta and Whole Foods in Palm Desert a shot.  Whatta ya got to lose?  Wealthy folks in that area who I'm sure appreciate exotic gourmet items.  Call in advance.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:27:15 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 05:46:17 AM »
So I'd still give Sprouts in La Quinta and Whole Foods in Palm Desert a shot.  Whatta ya got to lose?  Wealthy folks in that area who I'm sure appreciate exotic gourmet items.  Call in advance.
John51 to answer your question I have family members in Nevada Arizona and California. And they've pretty much love me hate me because I'm always sending videos of afternoon downpours. And ask the question of them. Do you know what this is when's the last time you saw this. If that wasn't enough I flood them with photos of my overabundance of tropical fruit. I will be in that area to visit the grandbaby. I will probably visit a palm date farm as you suggested.

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 11:33:16 AM »
if I have extra cherimoyas in december Ill send some to palm springs if you cordinate with me. 
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »
I have had decent cherimoyas from the store, shipped over from Spain, but it is frequent that they go rock hard instead of ripening. I think this is due to being picked ludicrously early/rock hard.

When they do ripen normally, their flavor is pretty good, nothing spectacular though.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
if I have extra cherimoyas in december Ill send some to palm springs if you cordinate with me.
Now there's an offer you can't refuse!  How awesome of Brad!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 03:43:43 PM »
Now there's an offer you can't refuse!  How awesome of Brad!
Yes! That is a very generous offer and much appreciated.  I am actually staying in Vegas where my daughter lives and want making a day trip by going through the Joshua Tree Forest to visit Palm Springs. My itinerary is very much in flux so logistically that probably would not work out. My brother wants me to come to Corona which might not happen. But thanks anyway for the very generous offer. :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »
Bovine, Brad has a cherimoya tasting on December 4, if you do end up visiting Corona or Palm Springs, maybe you can stop by.

Simon

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 05:55:06 PM »
Bovine, Brad has a cherimoya tasting on December 4, if you do end up visiting Corona or Palm Springs, maybe you can stop by.

Simon
I would really enjoy that but my reservations are for Christmas holiday week
Vacation Summary
Reservation
Bluegreen Club 36™
372 East Tropicana Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89169
(702) 856-2900

Check-In
Date: December 19, 2021
Time: 4:00 p.m.

Check-Out
Date: December 26, 2021
Time: 10:00 a.m.

Tonight's Sunset Panama City Beach Florida