Author Topic: Early mixed blooms pruned with the hope of a second bloom in February?  (Read 611 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Now the majority of my trees are pushing with the exception of Karen Michelle sweet tart and fruit punch. Don't know yet if it is Bloom, Mix bloom or flush growth. I'm just curious as anyone ever pruned a early mixed Bloom and then got a second Bloom later in February
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Early mixed blooms pruned with the hope of a second bloom in February?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 09:24:28 PM »
Bump
I’d love to know that as well…

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 08:13:43 AM »
Last year or maybe year before that a cold front pruned the early bloom for us.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 08:23:28 AM »
Bump
I’d love to know that as well…
There is a cat in Deltona who says every winter his trees bloom a couple of times then frost toasted. In early spring he snaps the panicles off and it reblooms and he has a late season harvest. I think if he had tipped pruned the tree who would probably have a different result. I can understand why folks would be hesitant 2 prune they're November bloom. Having a early crop is more desirable than gambling and having no late-season crop. I'm curious as to what results you would get from pruning half the bloom to not risk a total loss. My bloom is more of a late December bloom. I have a half dozen trees that haven't bloomed yet that I will not let carry fruit this season. I'll play around with tip pruning Pinnacle pruning and half the tree bloom prune. :)

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry