Author Topic: Denzler white sapote  (Read 860 times)

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
Denzler white sapote
« on: January 20, 2022, 08:15:36 AM »
I managed to get my hands on one recently. I cant find much info about it besides it's supposedly a decent variety. One of the forum members said it's not self fertile. Can anyone confirm this?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Denzler white sapote
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 01:33:12 PM »
I think my Denzler is self fertile but there is other Casimiroa flowers in the vicinity.
I was not aware the possibility of Casimiroa not being self fertile. Only seedlings that make small fruit or very little fruit.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 03:33:59 PM »
I think my Denzler is self fertile but there is other Casimiroa flowers in the vicinity.
I was not aware the possibility of Casimiroa not being self fertile. Only seedlings that make small fruit or very little fruit.

Here is some information from a study that breaks varieties into three groups based on their flowers.

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 06:32:44 PM »
Denzler is the most commonly grown white sapote in Hawaii. It was selected by bee keeper Sebastian Denzler above Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. I made a pilgrimage to his place and saw the lone tree back in the 90s. It seems self fertile in my experience. It’s the only cultivar to succeed for us in wet, low-elevation Hawaii.

David H

• Australia Qld. Ravenshoe 4888 .zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 08:47:25 PM »
We have a Denzler tree about 100 metres from other cultivars,and it fruits heavily.  I don't eat the fruit.  Half a fruit makes me nauseous.  The worst cultivar by far flavour-wise, IMO.

Reedo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 09:20:21 PM »
Denzler is the most commonly grown white sapote in Hawaii. It was selected by bee keeper Sebastian Denzler above Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. I made a pilgrimage to his place and saw the lone tree back in the 90s. It seems self fertile in my experience. It’s the only cultivar to succeed for us in wet, low-elevation Hawaii.

Thanks for the info Steph.

Reedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 09:21:32 PM »
We have a Denzler tree about 100 metres from other cultivars,and it fruits heavily.  I don't eat the fruit.  Half a fruit makes me nauseous.  The worst cultivar by far flavour-wise, IMO.

Wow, interesting. I wonder if climate plays a part? A friend who grows it in Santa Cruz likes it. What are some of your favorite cultivars, and what is your climate like?

David H

• Australia Qld. Ravenshoe 4888 .zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 09:55:57 PM »
Reedo, I remember giving some info. on our climate in a comment a while back. I've just had a look.  it was my comment number four,so you can read that
if you want.  We imported a lot of Casimiroa cultivars from California, Florida, and N.Z.   back in the 1980 s.   If you or your friend find Denzler does well in your region, and you like the fruit,that's all you need to know.  The cultivar that does the best for us here is a local selection, so it's not much help to you.
All the best.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk