Author Topic: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)  (Read 45872 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)
« Reply #475 on: March 11, 2022, 01:02:33 AM »
Yes, Yangmei on its own rootstock has been growing really well for me. We still need to test out all the other varieties and one rootstock may do better than another.

We are not really thinking about it now but Yangmei on its own roots can get huge so in order to control size, grafting it onto Pennsylvanica or Californica May keep the tree smaller, or not.

Simon

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 11, 2022, 01:09:09 AM »
There has been a bunch of recent research and trials on using "ol" oils extracted from common herbs as they exhibit powerful nematicidal activity. In particular Carvacrol from Oregano and Geraniol from Geranium (and other plants). If you do some searching on the internet, you can see the scientific research and results on it.. I will link one article. They basically inhibit hatching of the eggs and also kill the nematode itself. Up to 90% effective depending on the oil.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8309233/

There are some commercially available nematicides based on these and other "ol" type oils but I find it is a lot cheaper to just buy the actual essential oils from a reputable fragrance/flavor store online, mix with an emulsifier and just soak.

My wife grows lots of succulents and we use it on them to get control. I've also used on my plants with no ill effects other than the greenhouse smelling like a herb shop for a day.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 11, 2022, 01:19:03 AM »
Please see my Yangmei thread for what I did to treat my trees. Yes, RKN can spread to other plants and  can cause severe damage if environmental conditions are favorable to RKN. Even potted plants that are overwatered that are set on the ground can transfer RKN to the soil.

After you treat your trees, you can graft onto M Californica, Cerifera, Pennsylvanica or Rubra to ensure you don’t contaminate your soil.

In some parts of North America, specifically areas of Florida and California with warm weather and sandy soils, there are probably already large numbers of RKN in the soil.

Simon

Have you found local source for rootstock? I tried most local nurseries as I was planning to graft mine on native plants all along, but I could only find few small plants online.

I found a few m californica at my super expensive local nursery but, good size. Spent I think $45 on a 5g that was rooted deeply into the ground :/ They are around, but sort of rare. Call around.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 11, 2022, 12:09:53 PM »
Just in case East Coasters are planning on trying to graft. Myrica Cerifera seems to be readily available in the Va and NC nursery trade. My local nursery has 3 gals for $25.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 11, 2022, 12:16:35 PM »
Just in case East Coasters are planning on trying to graft. Myrica Cerifera seems to be readily available in the Va and NC nursery trade. My local nursery has 3 gals for $25.
Nice…
Been wanting to buy some, but haven’t found any local sources. Seems like I’ll have to wait until scions are available anyway.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 11, 2022, 12:34:33 PM »
I might be able to source some. I'm going to try to grow some cuttings/seeds of local genetics, but I should also be able to get 1gs if people want em.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 11, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I received my trees in the mail yesterday and most of the trees have the root knot nematode galls, but I’m still staying optimistic.  One of my trees from the first shipment was covered in them and I suspected the nematodes, so took a picture before I planted and kept this tree on a separate tray from the others.  It is one of the two that are doing the best for me so far.  You can see on the tag, I noted the root nodules.  Root knot nematodes are already in my home garden, so I have been dealing with them for years, I will share more in detail when I have time, how I garden with them.  If you have not potted them already, I would recommend Fox Farm ocean forest for its high chitin content, it contains both crab and shrimp meal.  Otherwise, you can use it as a mulch.  Organic solutions worm castings is also a good option for mulching.  The high chitin encourages chitin-eating microbes in the soil.  The exoskeleton of the root knot nematodes contain chitin. 

From now on, I will be posting my Yamgmei growing experiences on Simon’s thread.

Good luck everyone,
Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 11, 2022, 12:58:57 PM »
Your plant looks very nice.

Jeramyl So CA

• USA, Southern CA, San Diego, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 11, 2022, 01:24:30 PM »
My trees arrived today. I will be going with a combo of peat, Coast of Maine mix and Pearlite. All of this presoaked in rainwater. No Humidity tent until tomorrow. Mine don't look green at all to be honest so I assume they are dormant. My question is how is dormancy initiated since all I have read is that yangmei is supposed to be evergreen?

In the shuffle with nematode conversation, I think Carolina's question was missed.  Any feedback from prior orders?  Thoughts on this one?
Thanks!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 11, 2022, 01:29:02 PM »
Beautiful plant!

This guy sent me a bunch of myrica cerifeira seedlings a while back:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Carloplantfarm

Think he is a forum member now.

Was a custom order. Not sure if he has any listed, but worth checking.

Mine were too small to graft upon arrival in May of 2021 (at least for me), but perfect now. They grow pretty fast.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 11, 2022, 02:31:08 PM »
Just received my plants. Thanks so much Bill.
Don’t want to jinx it, but there are green buds on my black crystal plant :-*
Potted them up and will wrap in parafilm. Was having a really really bad day today, but after the yangmei arrived it’s only a really bad day ::)
Wish everyone the best in reviving these plants!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 11, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »
My nursery in SB can get 5 gallon myrica californica for $40, if anyone is interested. I just ordered 2. They also have 15 gallons monsters for $120

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 11, 2022, 03:24:52 PM »
Trees arrived, looking good. Thank you very much Bill! Have them soaking in rainwater/tapwater mix (only had so much) and low dose of Superthrive, then will plant in Ocean Forest with some biochar and perhaps extra perlite.

No immediate signs of RKN, but did not look too close. Will treat nonetheless. Plan on using these plants for graft material and will leave in pots anyway. Eventually, may sell these trees after obtaining needed genetics.

Good luck everyone, and hope your days get better and better Jabo!!!

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 11, 2022, 08:26:17 PM »
I'm on a mission to find online rootstock now. Anybody ever buy plants off Bonanza?

Cerakat

• Guam
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 12, 2022, 06:37:12 AM »
Just got my trees, THANK YOU Bill and everyone that helped him!!!  I've never had a bare root tree so I appreciate all the advice and experience some of you are sharing!  I have them soaking right now with some seaweed emulsion and will pot them up in a few hours.  I have never seen root knots and am worried about spreading it here so will keep these in pots and start looking for rootstock.  Unfortunately I do have one tree(the An Hai) that has the knots in the roots, the other 5 I don't see any knots.  It's very intimidating having this as my first experience with bare root, reviving a plant, receiving a tree with no leaves and looking like dead twigs(but I know they are alive cause there is green when I scratched it and the medium Bill sent it in was still moist!) & fruit tree I've never heard of until this forum lol plus being a new fruit tree grower, I hope at least one lives haha!  Happy growing all and I wish the best to all that are trying to grow these tasty sounding fruit trees!!!

Thanks,
Claire

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 12, 2022, 02:40:23 PM »
Even those that don't have the knots, they're now infected as they came into contact with each other.
Thera

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 12, 2022, 03:04:41 PM »
Plants arrived yesterday. Besides possible nematodes, plants look pretty good after making that trip.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 14, 2022, 10:29:25 AM »
Email sent

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 14, 2022, 02:34:16 PM »
In the last order, I saw the roots have like a "bulb" along some of the root stems but not the white stuff. 
Hi everyone, I received my trees in the mail yesterday and most of the trees have the root knot nematode galls, but I’m still staying optimistic.  One of my trees from the first shipment was covered in them and I suspected the nematodes, so took a picture before I planted and kept this tree on a separate tray from the others.  It is one of the two that are doing the best for me so far.  You can see on the tag, I noted the root nodules.  Root knot nematodes are already in my home garden, so I have been dealing with them for years, I will share more in detail when I have time, how I garden with them.  If you have not potted them already, I would recommend Fox Farm ocean forest for its high chitin content, it contains both crab and shrimp meal.  Otherwise, you can use it as a mulch.  Organic solutions worm castings is also a good option for mulching.  The high chitin encourages chitin-eating microbes in the soil.  The exoskeleton of the root knot nematodes contain chitin. 

From now on, I will be posting my Yamgmei growing experiences on Simon’s thread.

Good luck everyone,
Janet

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 14, 2022, 03:22:53 PM »
Jtnguyen333,

The “white stuff” is perlite.  I covered the roots with damp vermiculite and perlite until I had time to pot them up.  In my garden, I have found that plants that have the root knot nematodes do better in the shade and with foliar feeding.  These nematodes limit the water and nutrients available to the plant.  The plants in the sun need more water which with the infected roots leads to rot, especially with my alkaline city water high in salts.  I also make it a priority to encourage a diversity of soil microorganisms in the rhizosphere and use shrimp meal liberally in my soil mixes and compost to feed the chitin-eating organisms. 

Janet

Cerakat

• Guam
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 15, 2022, 03:31:04 AM »
Do you think these are leaf buds popping out or am I just hoping they are lol?  If they are, do you think they are from residual energy and then they might die or it might indicate that the roots are establishing themselves?  3 of them (An Hai, Dongkui Male, & Wusu) have these little green bumps

but the other 3( the 2 biggest ones the Dongkui & Biqi and the smallest one the Black Carbon) don't have any bumps on them that I can see.  One of the Black Carbons tips look like it is dying back :'(  I trimmed it to where it was green still, took off like 4 inches.  I thought the other 2 was also dying but when I trimmed one branch tip from each it was still green.

I couldn't find any clear plastic bags big enough to cover these, most stores have been plastic free bags since beginning of the year.  I finally found clear trash bags from my friend, should I cover them now or it won't matter anymore since they've gone without it for a few days?

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 15, 2022, 10:12:56 AM »
Cerakat,

Leaf buds can start to grow before roots are established.  I have found it’s important to maintain high humidity for the plants while they are recovering.  If you cover with the large trash bags, make sure to check on them often so too much moisture doesn’t build up and cause mold issues.  I was advised to cover any cut ends with parafilm or buddy tape to prevent further moisture loss in the branches.  Your trees look nice, good luck.

Janet

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 15, 2022, 12:21:26 PM »

So far so good for me. Holding back my urges to water, I know that’s what killed them last time. The grow tent is certainly helpful to keep everything well managed - not going below 60f at night and sitting around 67-73 during lights on time. Heat mat is set to 74f.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 15, 2022, 12:41:34 PM »
Had 4 of mine out in the misty rain. Couldn't help myself.

Cerakat

• Guam
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 15, 2022, 09:34:05 PM »
Cerakat,

Leaf buds can start to grow before roots are established.  I have found it’s important to maintain high humidity for the plants while they are recovering.  If you cover with the large trash bags, make sure to check on them often so too much moisture doesn’t build up and cause mold issues.  I was advised to cover any cut ends with parafilm or buddy tape to prevent further moisture loss in the branches.  Your trees look nice, good luck.

Janet

Thanks Janet!  I will make sure to check on them daily to make sure no mold develops.  I will tape up the ends that I had cut so no more moisture is lost to them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk