Author Topic: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)  (Read 45092 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)
« Reply #425 on: March 08, 2022, 12:37:05 PM »
What pot size will you be using to put them in?

Major thanks to Amy Bill and Nate for their work on this. Amy was a trooper at 11pm when she arrived. We soaked a roll of paper towel to put in with the plants here for a little more moisture and doused them with some RO water.

I have mine soaking in RO water, 74f bottom heat, around 60-70% RH with the humidifier and running weak LED light on them.

The biggest plants in the bucket are biqi, almost 3’ tall, half to 3/4 inch diameter

I'm going to try to squeeze them all into 1g. The biqi maybe needs 3g.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 08, 2022, 01:28:36 PM »
I got one of each + 1DK male.  Out of all the 8trees, only the DK branches were dried for me. I trimmed the dried stems all the way down to a few inches.

Bill, I'm already thinking let's do it again next year if mine doesn't make it at all. 
Big thanks to Bill for putting in all the efforts. It's a lot of work, especially having to mail it out to people as well.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 08, 2022, 05:51:15 PM »

Rocking 50% shade cloth all around and have a mister system that I'll run a couple times a day for ~15-30 seconds to try and keep humidity up.

Stoked!

Hope this will result in some high success rates on re-establishment.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 05:55:28 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

bill_bayarea

• Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA 95008, plant zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 08, 2022, 06:04:17 PM »
All the shipments were made before 10 am pacific time.
I will send out the receipt for thanking.

Thank you all for the great support, and special thanks to
Amy, Joseph, Jeremy, Jozeph, Nate for all the hard work.

It’s not too  bad about this second group buy. The trees were shipped
on 3/1, and got released on 3/7. It took 6 days. Although there were some
hiccups in the USDA, trees were held there  over  the weekend. It’s totally
understandable. Since the trees were nicely
wrapped, they were still at good condition.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:40:59 AM by bill_bayarea »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 08, 2022, 06:20:02 PM »
All the shipments were made before 10 am pacific time.
I will send out the receipt for thanking.

Thank you all for the great support, and special thanks to
Amy, Joseph, Jeremy, Jozeph, Nate for all the hard work.

It’s not too  bad about this second group buy. The trees were shipped
on 3/1, and got released on 3/7. It took 6 days. Although there were some
hiccups in the USDA, were held there  over  the weekend. It’s totally
understandable. Since the trees were nicely
wrapped, they wee still good condition.
Reciept by email or PM?
Bravo on shipping today BTW. I was expecting the shipping would be tomorrow. I can't wait to see my babies.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 08, 2022, 09:00:20 PM »
PM and email sent.
Thanks

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 08, 2022, 09:00:55 PM »
PM and email sent.
Thanks

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 08, 2022, 11:35:11 PM »
Spent almost 4 hours on grafted the cuttings and potted them.  Even though the trees are very healthy, but the roots of the tree are not as much as last time.

Overall they are good.  Thank Bill, Nate, and Amy make the transaction super smooth.

Last order all 8 of my trees are showing some new grow.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:18:21 AM by pinkturtle »

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 09, 2022, 02:12:55 AM »
Yes, thanks to all involved.

All trees were potted into 3g pots in liner mix.

Some of them look like they're trying to bud out. I assume flowers for on second year wood, so unlikely to get flowers this year. Not sure if the buds will survive or not, but the weather we now have should be excellent for rooting out.

When did people receive the last orders? Sorry - I hadn't been paying attention to previous orders.

snowmm

• WINNIPEG
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 09, 2022, 02:42:01 AM »
😭just missed this group order, when will be the next order?

Svamarlins

• Orange County Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 09, 2022, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks everyone who pitched in and took time out of their lives to make this happen smoothly. I picked up from OC (Jeremy) last night. No hiccups from everyone picking their plants out. Once home put them in RO water with little amounts of liquid seaweed and some Dynomyco granules to help the roots. I put a sprayer pump in the water to aerate and placed a bag over the container to trap some humidity in.
The plan today will be to plant in raiser planter boxes up to 36in so we don’t have to transplant later. This process has worked in the past for our 4 sexed seedlings.
Soil will be Gary’s Best Top pot with some Gary’s Acid mix. Mycorrhizal Inoculant by DYNOMYCO  will be placed in the soil to aid in root growth and decrease stress.
Good luck everyone

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 09, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »
Spent almost 4 hours on grafted the cuttings and potted them.  Even though the trees are very healthy, but the roots of the tree are not as much as last time.

Overall they are good.  Thank Bill, Nate, and Amy make the transaction super smooth.

Last order all 8 of my trees are showing some new grow.

Do you have a photo of what the roots looked like from previous order?

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 09, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »
The roots from last order were very similar to the roots of the Black Crystal and An Hai from this order. Smaller trees with more fibrous roots. Good luck to everyone growing. Hopefully in about a month some lucky grower will post of pic of buds pushing and then we all go get our magnifying glasses out and check for our own bud push. :)

Jeramyl SoCal

• USA, CA/So CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 09, 2022, 12:35:12 PM »
A final thanks to Bill, Amy and team for all the work.  It was a tremendous endeavor and a lot to be thankful for.  Now we watch and wait. 

Agree with Pinkturtle that the roots were a little rough but these trees went through a lot and crossed an ocean to make their way into some soil here.  Planted all 11 of mine last night into FoxFarms soil, watered with rain water and placed in a humidity chamber @ 85% RH for a while. 

There were not any small roots left on the trees I received but there was a lot of old root material.  That makes me think there is enough stored energy to push out some recovery root growth if I don't screw it up. 

I didn't overwater the pots so I am thinking that the humidity chamber, combined with an initial watering is going to be all that needs to be done for 2-3 weeks.  We will see.

Best of luck to everyone.  This should be fantastic. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 09, 2022, 12:45:37 PM »
Thanks Bill for your hard efforts again, and everyone else that help him in the inspection process.

Amy, I would like to thank you for driving up there and back. Did you get enough money donated to cover your Gas Fund?  If not, I suggest to those who have not contributed anything to do so now.

bill_bayarea

• Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA 95008, plant zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 10, 2022, 10:20:46 AM »

Snowmm or other SoCal folks,

We have a make up package sent out to southern California, Fountain City, CA 92708.
it will be arriving today.

There are following varieties.

1 Wusu
2 Late growing
1 Crystal
2 An Hai
5 male trees( 2 DK male, 1 CR male, 1 LG male)

Please let me know the varieties, and qty. You can do local pick up if it is close. Or if you buy more than 6 trees,
we can ship to you, you take care of the shipping cost.

You can send me PM or email to biaozhang@hotmail.com.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 10, 2022, 10:27:22 AM »

Snowmm or other SoCal folks,

We have a make up package sent out to southern California, Fountain City, CA 92708.
it will be arriving today.

There are following varieties.

1 Wusu
2 Late growing
1 Crystal
2 An Hai
5 male trees( 2 DK male, 1 CR male, 1 LG male)

Please let me know the varieties, and qty. You can do local pick up if it is close. Or if you buy more than 6 trees,
we can ship to you, you take care of the shipping cost.

You can send me PM or email to biaozhang@hotmail.com.

Good Morning Folks,

Thank you Bill but I believe these trees are spoken for. If there are any left after today I will post here, but I believe only a couple males will be available. Sorry for the confusion.
Nate

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 10, 2022, 02:51:52 PM »
I assume the radio silence is due to the fact that everyone is busy reviving their new babies.  I want to say a big thank you everyone who was involved in making this group order possible.  It was a tremendous act of altruism and many people will be forever appreciative of all your time and effort. As for my setup, I soaked the roots in filtered water with a tiny bit of seaweed extract from the distribution point back to the house and during potting them up. I have them parafilmed up completely except for 1 inch above soil level. I used even parts of cactus potting mix, perlite, sand, peat moss.  Half are in 1 gallon and the other half in something like 2 gallon pots.  I have a humidifier, a temperature/ humidity monitor, and a small heater all set up in my spare bathroom.  Since I'm leaving for 5 days, I also have a camera set up to view the monitor and have the humifiier and heater set up on wifi surge protectors so that I can turn them on or off remotely. I've been trying to maintain temperature from high 67-77 and humidity from 49-70.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 04:24:08 PM by Tustinfruitnerd »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2022, 03:04:17 PM »
Would a soak in a light Super Thrive solution be worthwhile, before potting? If so, at what concentration?

Trees are arriving tomorrow.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 10, 2022, 03:07:39 PM »
I assume the radio silence is due to the fact that everyone is busy reviving their new babies.  I want to say a big thank you everyone who was involved in making this group order possible.  It was a tremendous act of altruism and many people will be forever appreciative of all your time and effort. As for my setup, I have them parafilmed up completely except for 1 inch above soil level. I used even parts of cactis potting mix, perlite, sand, peat moss.  Half are in 1 gallon and the other half in something like 2 gallon pots.  I have a humidifier, a temperature/ humidity monitor, and a small heater all set up in my spare bathroom.  Since I'm leaving for 5 days, I also have a camera set up to view the monitor and have the humifiier and heater set up on wifi surge protectors so that I can turn them on or off remotely. I've been trying to maintain temperature from high 67-77 and humidity from 49-70.

Ha! I love the set-up. Keep us posted...

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2022, 03:25:11 PM »
Would a soak in a light Super Thrive solution be worthwhile, before potting? If so, at what concentration?

I soaked mine in RO water with about a half dose of Superthrive. I have been using it for the first time this year in my watering cans for the greenhouse and it does seem to have beneficial properties.

Considering last year I had zero luck with my yangmei, I figured may as well throw the book at them. RO water (last time I used my well water), superthrive, pure peat moss for rooting for maximum air flow to roots, barely water (I over watered last time), heat mat (last time just on concrete in greenhouse), LED light in a sealed grow tent.

Obviously with so many things going on, I have no idea if Superthrive is the secret sauce, but having seen it work on my plants in the greenhouse, I think it's worth a shot. It restored many plants from chlorotic or veiny to deep green, and any pot I've up-potted since then is always cherry white roots.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 10, 2022, 03:36:40 PM »

I soaked mine in RO water with about a half dose of Superthrive. I have been using it for the first time this year in my watering cans for the greenhouse and it does seem to have beneficial properties.

Considering last year I had zero luck with my yangmei, I figured may as well throw the book at them. RO water (last time I used my well water), superthrive, pure peat moss for rooting for maximum air flow to roots, barely water (I over watered last time), heat mat (last time just on concrete in greenhouse), LED light in a sealed grow tent.

Obviously with so many things going on, I have no idea if Superthrive is the secret sauce, but having seen it work on my plants in the greenhouse, I think it's worth a shot. It restored many plants from chlorotic or veiny to deep green, and any pot I've up-potted since then is always cherry white roots.

did you end up wrapping with graft tape?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 10, 2022, 03:48:05 PM »

Anybody worried that this is Root Knot Nematode infested????

This is the stuff that gives me anxiety.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 10, 2022, 03:53:49 PM »

I didn't wrap with grafting tape. I am seeing really good RH in the grow tent, so much so I had to turn on my dehumidifier for 80%. My branches are still green all the way to the tip, even on the really small ones. If it starts to die back, I'll clip then wrap. My hope and thought process is that the extra oxygen to the branches and buds may help.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 10, 2022, 04:10:26 PM »

I didn't wrap with grafting tape. I am seeing really good RH in the grow tent, so much so I had to turn on my dehumidifier for 80%. My branches are still green all the way to the tip, even on the really small ones. If it starts to die back, I'll clip then wrap. My hope and thought process is that the extra oxygen to the branches and buds may help.

THX!!!