Author Topic: Frankia Bacteria  (Read 951 times)

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Frankia Bacteria
« on: February 02, 2022, 12:38:08 AM »
Is there anyway to add Frankia Bacteria to your soil? If there is, how do you go about getting some?
Nate

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Frankia Bacteria
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 07:30:09 AM »
This reference lists several regional plants known to host Frankia. If you take soil samples from well established roots of these plants and introduce that to a suitable host you might succeed. Red Alder and Ceanothus are known west coast species, but there may be others. Be aware that artificially fertilized plants may not generally host the bacteria, and probably other practices detrimental to natural soil life will prevent their successful establishment.

http://www.arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1995-55-4-a-nitrogen-fixation-the-story-of-the-frankia-symbiosis.pdf

This link shows the nodulation you would be looking for:
https://www.laspilitas.com/classes/Frankia.html

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 10:28:26 AM »
THANK YOU very much Pineislander  :)
Nate

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 01:15:38 PM »
Native Myrica such as Myrica Califronia should be a good host that has it in soil; if well established.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 04:33:07 PM »
I did some research and I believe we don’t even need it unless you plan on not fertilizing your tree.

Simon

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 02:45:27 PM »
Simon,

Can you share any links or resources to fertilizing Yang Mei instead of utilizing natural Frankia Bacteria?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 03:13:19 PM »
I just did a bunch of google searches but it’ll take me too long to re find all the articles. The articles basically said that Frankia helps with specific nutrient uptake in poor soils. In soils that are non deficient, It is more difficult to establish Frankia.

In essence, if you do get some Frankia which is actually an actinomycetes, you may want to deprive your tree of specific nutrients.

Two members here have nice large trees with no signs of Frankia in the rhizosphere.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 03:39:38 PM »
Just for clarification, if you can easily find Frankia, you might as well add it to your plants roots but it may not be worth the hassle. There may be other benefits that Frankia may offer and there may be other beneficial organisms as well.

Simon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 08:31:18 PM »
When a tree already has all that it needs, adding a symbiotic micro-organism is slightly worse than nothing, as the tree now has to feed glucose to the micro-organism.
Har

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 12:12:40 AM »
Thanks for the additional details Har!

To expand on this a little further, in general, during the night time when photosynthesis is not occurring, plants with symbiotic relationships with mycorrhiza or other beneficial microbes send photosynthates to the roots to help feed the mycorrhiza. The mycorrhiza in turn may help supply specific nutrients back to the host plant.

When the host plant has all the nutrients it needs, the symbiotic relationship becomes more like a parasitic one. I’m not saying this is true for Frankia but definitely something to consider. I wonder if Frankia will pull Iron from Yangmei trees because one of the primary roles of Frankie’s association with Yangmei is to fix nitrogen. To fix Nitrogen, hemoglobin is involved and hemoglobin has Iron as a central molecule.

Simon

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 10:35:31 AM »
THANK YOU Simon, MVF, and Har! All this great information is much appreciated.

I have good soil, so based on the info and further research, I won’t be scouring the hillsides or coastlines looking for Frankia.

Thanks again for the detailed info guys!
Nate

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk