Author Topic: avocado question  (Read 762 times)

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
avocado question
« on: February 12, 2022, 10:07:46 PM »
Hi
We are lucky to have 3 mature avocado trees.  One of them is budding like crazy right now but all the leaves are turning brown,  many falling off.  I don't really water or fertilize but we did have 10 inches of rain in December
Does anyone have any idea if this is a problem or have a solution?
Thanks

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: avocado question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 10:16:41 PM »
its normal, they shed their leaves during bloom and will regrow new leaves in a month or 2. 
Brad Spaugh

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 08:46:33 AM »
Just wait until July, all will be well.  Mine look terrible this time of year, but those leaves will fall and be replaced.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 04:29:23 AM »
Normal for California trees especially. Don't worry too much about it. They will flush strongly. In the meantime, take a good luck at the exposed branches and paint the wood to protect it from sunburn. The new leaves should shade most of the exposed wood, but in the event that there's a gap, severe sunburn can seriously stunt your tree. My kahaluu is still recovering from the great burn of 2018.

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 11:03:45 AM »
thank you al

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 12:20:38 PM »
Normal for California trees especially. Don't worry too much about it. They will flush strongly. In the meantime, take a good luck at the exposed branches and paint the wood to protect it from sunburn. The new leaves should shade most of the exposed wood, but in the event that there's a gap, severe sunburn can seriously stunt your tree. My kahaluu is still recovering from the great burn of 2018.
Pay close attention to the horizontal and west/south facing branches that get the most direct sun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk