Author Topic: Fujikawa avocado  (Read 1848 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Fujikawa avocado
« on: March 25, 2022, 10:57:00 AM »
This tree grows great in CA and fruits nicely.  Its also pretty tasty.  The whole family approved of this one.  This one is the standout of the hawaii avocados Im growing.  The tree performs awesome. 

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
Re: Fujikawa avocado
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 10:58:28 AM »
Oops, wrong section   :P

Its a good one.  Ill sell some scionwood of it again next winter. 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 02:18:31 PM »
A few members were growing it in Florida, which I found from a forum search, but they never followed up with results.
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »
Last year they had an off flavor but they may have been picked past the prime window and started to spoil on the tree.  The one we tried today had no off flavors just plain guatemalan oily flavor.  Pretty dense and oily.
Brad Spaugh

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »
Good flavor, but dont perform well in my farm. On the other hand malama perform excelent. Small size but smaller seed. Nutty flavor

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 07:51:20 PM »
Malama grows poorly here.  The tree looks nice and healthy but its tall and lanky and growing slowly for some reason.  The rootstock part under the graft is about 2X the size of the trunk of the grafted part like its choked at the graft.  Really strange, never seen another avocado tree do it. 

Have seen weak growers on fast growing clonal rootstock do it in articles online but never on my own stuff.  Just this one stupid malama doing it.  I will graft a 2nd malama tree on a new rootstock and see what it does.  The one its on was just whatever I had at that time. 

How about Murashige?  That tree looks really solid and is flowering now.  It grew quite a bit before flowering, its 10-12ft tall and looks to be setting up to be a big tree.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 07:54:26 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 07:17:33 PM »
My Murashige killed by Maria hurricane. Try to use a West Indian rootstock

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 11:53:20 PM »
Brad, about the skinny top variety on a fat rootstock:  I've seen this once in person.  It wasn't avocado; don't remember what fruit, much less the varieties of rootstock & scion.  But the thing ended up dying.

I've also seen the opposite: swelling scion on top of normal-size rootstock.  That one I have in a pot myself: Persian black mulberry on top of Pakistan black.  That combination consistently behaves this way.  I've seen it in a friend's full-grown mulberry tree also, with the same arrangement: Persian on top swelling, Pakistan on bottom normal.  I'd guess that there's some kind of "incompatibility" (for lack of a better word) when grafting certain combinations -- even though both parts of the graft are the same kind of fruit (apple on apple).  In some cases it looks like the sap flows up better than it flows down; in other cases, vice-versa.  I've never heard any biological specifics of why or how.  I'm not sure anyone has studied it enough to know.  If they have, I'd like to know.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 01:03:43 AM »
Ive seen some avocado technical paper say certain avocado type grafted on certain clonal rootstocks also behave that way under certain conditions.

Next year Ill try and top work a couple more trees on new rootstocks.  I think we pretty much need to stick to mexican rootstocks here though.
Brad Spaugh

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »
Interstock then Malama.I have Malama I like it small seed good quality,short season down side.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 09:13:59 PM »
This fujikawa is super good.  Grows awesome and makes super dense guacamole.  You guys in CA should grow this one.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:15:53 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

theoctopus

• South Pasadena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 10:36:01 PM »
This fujikawa is super good.  Grows awesome and makes super dense guacamole.  You guys in CA should grow this one

Let me know when you're selling scions and I will! Looks great.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 10:57:58 PM »
Ill try and cut some more when it hardens off from this flush.  Or if not, for sure in January.  I didnt mean to put this in the for sale section, was an accident. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk