Author Topic: Grafting muscadine grape vine  (Read 494 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Grafting muscadine grape vine
« on: June 02, 2022, 06:34:42 PM »
I have Supreme Ison and delicious muscadine grapes. I would like to plant another one that is female but it will be too far away from the others for them to be pollinators. I have limited space and this variety is a female could I graft a pollinator onto?
https://www.isons.com/shop/muscadines/female-varieties/big-red-muscadine/
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting muscadine grape vine
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 11:45:47 PM »
Muscadines are difficult to graft. It can be done,  though. The best success I have heard people have is with approach grafting. I would just buy 2 vines and plant them in the same hole. Each vine can become an arm. You will get the same effect with a lot less work. The vines ground layer incredibly easily, by the way. If you bury part of the vine in moist sand it will naturally form roots in just a few weeks during the summer.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting muscadine grape vine
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 06:00:02 AM »
That sounds like a plan. I actually ordered another Ison because a turtle dug it up and I didn't notice for several days and it appeared dead but I replanted it just a little deeper then hit it with the water and it is coming back now. I didn't know what I was going to do with the second Ison but now I do I'll plan it in the same hole as the Big Red. While I was focused on muscadines a friend gifted me a interesting new variety called delicious :)

Finding many uses and benefits from these growth tubes I ordered for the grape Vines

And these fellows have been doing a lot of digging looking for turtle eggs

I'm actually having a very good year for Lychee and mangoes with the advice and wisdom of friends
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 06:43:38 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk