Author Topic: Any Recommendations for variable height/width tree rings/protection?  (Read 397 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
I have several trees I've been want to plant all season, but the areas I will be planting in can hold a lot of water when we get our seasonal downpours. Because of that, I'm wanting to plant the trees 1-2' above the ground level, so they'll be able to handle standing water better. I have a huge roll of RootBuilder, what I'm thinking to do is cut 1-2' tall strips of it (with the appropriate ring size) and plant the trees high (something like what member MarkInTexas does in his greenhouse). I'll expand the RootBuilder rings as the trees get taller, eventually I'll try removing the rings and mulching the tree mounds.

So, all that said, my two concerns are the abuse the RootBuilder pots will suffer when the grass around them is cut (riding mowers and weed-eaters will take their toll) AND the aesthetical appearance of the RootBuilder container itself. I've been hoping to stumble upon some durable, flexible-sized plastic/PVC that I can cut to loosely wrap around the RootBuilder to protect it and make the plantings looking more appealing. Anybody have any suggestions? All I can think of (that exists) is finding some of those large food-grade (water-storage) barrels/drums and cutting them to size.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Any Recommendations for variable height/width tree rings/protection?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 10:53:53 AM »
Good idea
Them root builders are really good
Because of Mark, my collection is really booming.
The food grade barrels are a good idea. Once they get fatter though I don’t know.
Maybe make a ring using stakes and chicken wire around the rootmakers so they don’t get beaten up.
Only problem is grass will grow between it and the pot.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Any Recommendations for variable height/width tree rings/protection?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 11:08:31 AM »
Yeah, the weed issue was a concern, but I figure if I bury the plastic/PVC containers down a few inches and they extend to 1-2' above ground, the weeds should be mitigated. I'm thinking I don't want to wrap the RootBuilder too tight, otherwise the air-pruning of the roots might be hindered.

Chicken-wire?!? I don't want to class it up that much, my neighbors might join forces and form an HOA at the sight of them  ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:10:31 AM by JakeFruit »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk