Author Topic: Maha and other Mangoes dropping due to Heavy Winds...  (Read 705 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Maha and other Mangoes dropping due to Heavy Winds...
« on: April 30, 2023, 11:40:35 AM »

We're VERY windy today...30 plus mph! While taking pictures of my Maha, 3 small Mahas fell to the ground one by one due to the branches hitting each other. I had to come inside I am afraid to look tonight to see how many mangoes are going to be on the ground  :'( :'( >:( >:(

Couldn't bare to throw them away, I might make green mango salad

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Maha and other Mangoes dropping due to Heavy Winds...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 01:12:04 PM »
Somehow, my PPK and Cogshall are still holding on tight. We’ve had quite the gusts today.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 09:37:40 PM »
I picked up and tried my first Maha from the drops a few days ago. It was a little yellow on one side and like yours on the other. I sliced it and cut off the peeling and it was pretty good. It was sour but a little sweetness to offset and I enjoyed eating it.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 10:00:31 PM »
Wind was horrible in Charlotte County. Surprisingly (and gratefully), Sugarloaf and Pickering held on to their crop. Sadly, my seedling Coconut Cream lost two more mangos--I'm now down to only four, and one is small, so probably won't make it. Man, these things smell piney!

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 10:10:10 PM »
What few Maha my little tree had this season fell of or got knocked off from the winds we've had a few weeks ago. Now there just one 5" fruit hanging on and surprisingly the winds last night and today didn't make it fall. Fingers crossed on my first ripe mango in a couple of months.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 10:42:39 AM »

Fingers crossed everyone's mangoes that's left on the trees stay put, let's hope these really gusty days are far and few between  ;)

My mangoes have at least a month or more before they are "mature green" to let ripen inside.

Calusa I hope your single Maha makes it till its ready to pick, good luck!

Palmcity, mine are still pretty small appx 4", so no color whatsoever, totally green. The Thai green mango salad wasn't too bad, better than throwing them away Lol...

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 11:34:12 AM »

Re: What two mango trees would you like to cross and have a Seedling
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 11:07:36 PM »
Quote by Orkine:::
... and here I was, thinking you (Honest Abe) just wanted Dwarf Fruits. :)

That idea of dwarf fruit may actually be desirable as my Large Fruit Punch definitely lost more fruit by falling off the tree during the winds vs. other mango varieties...

Really Large may not be a desirable trait vs. dwarf or average size mangos.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:38:17 AM by palmcity »

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 04:13:09 PM »

Wife has been using yellow cake mix and adding boiled mangos in directions instead of the water in the recipe on back of box.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 04:57:35 PM »

We're VERY windy today...30 plus mph! While taking pictures of my Maha, 3 small Mahas fell to the ground one by one due to the branches hitting each other. I had to come inside I am afraid to look tonight to see how many mangoes are going to be on the ground  :'( :'( >:( >:(

Of my 6 expectant mangoes this year, the wind dropped 1 from my Cat Saigon and it hurt like heck, lol.  the dropped mango was about 4 inches in size and was pretty sour. I did not give up and 1 miracle fruit later, my dropped mango tasted pretty good!
Tom

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 02:23:53 PM »

Had around 25 or so dropped mangoes from that very gusty day  :'( >:( on the ground so far...very heart breaking. I can't or won't be able to use most of them so I will leave those for the critters, a few of them have chew marks or claw marks on them so they are already "tasting" them. Its going to be a battle again this year!

Interesting your wife adding boiled mangoes to yellow cake mix, might give that atry thanks Palmcity!

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 08:59:49 PM »
Interesting your wife adding boiled mangoes to yellow cake mix, might give that atry thanks Palmcity!

Update::: Original cake added 1 and 1/2 cup boiled green mangos but cake was too lemony and not fluffy enough.
2nd cake added only 1 cup boiled green mangos and skipped water and cake was better and fluffier.

The Rectangle cubes of boiled mango were frozen to be used later for many things needing a lemon taste or just add to water, stir, dissolve and add sweetener for lemonade.

I had a heavy limb of Young/Tebow mangos crack last week and was hoping they would ripen but no luck. I pulled down the limb and decided to bite into the wrinkled mangos and they were pretty good. Something between a Glen and Florigon mango (more like a Florigon). I enjoyed eating one outside this morning and took them inside and ate 2 more tonight. Here is a picture of the wrinkled underripe Young/Tebow mangos I ate today.

I'm willing to try most anything especially if I grew it.

Make sure you wash the skin of any drops as snails can carry some bad bad infecting organisms.

Oh, Forgot to mention.... Yes I like eating the skin on the Young/Tebow and also on the Florigon Mango (but I never eat the skin on a Glen as it tastes bad to me).  Very similar to eating a slightly greenish ripe Florigon, which I enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 09:08:01 PM by palmcity »

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 10:38:22 AM »

Thanks for the updates and recipe corrections Palmcity.

Yeah, I definitely wash all my mango drops really well before I eat it even though I do not eat the peel, just got into the habit, we have SO many Critters running around here I don't want to take any chances  :)

We need more rain sooo badly, we did have 6 inches almost 2 weeks ago doled out in 2 different days one week apart but we need more... I think part of the problem with the drops besides the heavy winds is the drought...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk