Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Sweet pepper (Capsicum) thread

(1/2) > >>

LivingParadise:
What varieties of sweet (not hot) peppers thrive in the tropics?

I recently planted Aji Dulce seeds (an exclusively sweet version of Capsicum chinese), popular in Puerto Rico and around the Caribbean/tropical South America, but they haven't come up yet.

Who knows, and can share cultivation stories (and of course recipes!), of others?

Mike T:
There are a few capsicums that can be grown in the tropics and they tend to be the elongated yellow types and small bells rather than the big fleshy bell capsicums. The terms sweet chilli and long capsicums are also used. During the summer In  the tropics it tend to be the true hot chillis that are grown and they are longer lived. Capsicums tend to be shorter lived annuals and in the tropics at say 10 latitude to 25 latitude, grown only in the colder months.

ericalynne:
Not exactly tropical, but subtropical, I grow feherozon sweet peppers. They are not very productive, but produce 6-7 medium sized sweet peppers reliably and grow only about 12 inches tall. It turns pale yellow and then red. It is supposed to be a hungarian paprika type pepper. The plant will continue to live -  perennially - after it's main crop, but the subsequent peppers are smaller and irregular. They grow and produce their 6-7 peppers well in spring in south/central Florida.
Erica

Tacticalgardener:
This year I've grown the red and yellow Marconi sweet peppers. Mine get to 9 to 12 inches long which surprised me because some other sweet peppers don't do so well down here. I am in South Florida zone 10b.

ericalynne:
Hi Tactical,

What time of year do you grow the maraconis? Do you start from seeds and then plant out?

Tx

Erica

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version