Author Topic: Jackfruit at whole foods  (Read 2751 times)

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
Jackfruit at whole foods
« on: February 17, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
So while hitting up our local whole foods found this baby.  31.5lbs or there abouts.

Ive never tried jackfruit so this would be an expensive mistake.

Is the price at 2.49lb good and is this one worth getting or should i take a pass.

Thanks.

dc

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Jackfruit at whole foods
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:24:32 PM »
Mexican garbage. There are many great jackfruit trees and growers in Florida. Don't let that be your first experience.
-Josh

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »
We have a Mexican flea market down here in Miami that I get them from for $1.50/lb. Not a special variety by any means....but they never disappoint. I have a neighbor with 40 pounders annually on her tree in her yard and they are tasteless garbage. So you really never know

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 07:01:11 PM »
So while hitting up our local whole foods found this baby.  31.5lbs or there abouts.

Ive never tried jackfruit so this would be an expensive mistake.

Is the price at 2.49lb good and is this one worth getting or should i take a pass.

Thanks.

dc

save your money for a locally grown one even if you have to drive down to west palm . I think truly tropical has them in the mid summer season and you could pick up a few excellent mangos while your at it.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »
I would recommend not buying the Mexican imported ones or the fruit from Johnny Redland's neighbor.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
People sell fruit in the buy/sell section during peak season as well. Many times it is superior named cultivars.
-Josh

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »
I would recommend not buying the Mexican imported ones or the fruit from Johnny Redland's neighbor.

;) X 2

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
Thanks 4 the feedback folks.  I got a nice soursop and 2 vsry sweer yellow dragon fruit instead.

KelzKhaos

• Central Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 10:59:56 PM »
Try looking at the Asian markets in the Mills 50 area near downtown, I've had really good luck down there when it comes to jackfruit. I know one sells precut sections so you don't have to buy the whole fruit if you're trying it for the first time.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 07:46:29 AM »
Thanks 4 the feedback folks.  I got a nice soursop and 2 vsry sweer yellow dragon fruit instead.

The last soursop I bought from Whole Foods a few weeks back never ripened. The sign said it was grown in the US and I know of some small commercial operations in the Redlands. I wonder if that is where it came from. I mainly bought it for rootstock seeds but at $10/lb I was hoping to at least taste a crappy quality fruit.
-Josh

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »
Unfortunately, Whole Foods has better produce than most other supermarkets (at least where I am). I can find decent produce in specialty markets but nothing beats local or homegrown obviously.

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 10:23:32 PM »
I purchased a soursop about a month ago from whole foods that also didn't ripen, but I bought it way too green.  I also got it to have starter seeds as well but did want to try.  I ended up with a bunch of seeds and only got 1 of them to sprout.

This one was much better than the first one I got and was halfway decent, but truly I've never had a great one so I can't say.  That said, I'm also planning on trying to germinate these seeds as well.  I need to look into how to germinate them (GA maybe?) as the take rate was terrible with that last drop.

The yellow DF were once again fantastic.

The last soursop I bought from Whole Foods a few weeks back never ripened. The sign said it was grown in the US and I know of some small commercial operations in the Redlands. I wonder if that is where it came from. I mainly bought it for rootstock seeds but at $10/lb I was hoping to at least taste a crappy quality fruit.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 11:49:17 PM »
Plant them fresh and treat them like a normal seed. I could be wrong but I don't think they much more recalcitrant than many other Annona seeds that you can store for extended periods. I have had really good germination with soursop. No ga3 required.
-Josh

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »
Unfortunately, Whole Foods has better produce than most other supermarkets (at least where I am). I can find decent produce in specialty markets but nothing beats local or homegrown obviously.

My friends at miamifruit.org ship all over the USA except California. You can get what’s in season in Florida and they also get quality yellow dragonfruit, soursop, and cherimoya. If it’s not quality they won’t ship it.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »
Jackfruit seeds sprout super easy and quick! I've grown many plants from store bought jacks.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
Wow that's very expensive...
Here in the Asian markets, they're around $.49 - $.89#

They're also from Mexico, organic?
I'm not sure but how else would you grow Jackfruit? :blank:

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
So, I was back in Whole Foods yesterday and this time they had jackfruit cut into quarters for around $10 bucks a quarter.

They had both orange ones and yellow ones - and for $10 bucks i decided to try one of the orange ones (and of course, get some seeds :-))

Not bad.  No crunch or crispyness from the fruit what-so-ever, but the tasted was pretty good - combination of juicy fruit gum and cantaloupe.

I ended up with around 20 seeds so time for a trip to HD to pickup a bag of soil to start them with.

Wife is getting ready to kill me with all the seedlings I have going.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk