Author Topic: Mango Tree - Gummosis  (Read 4395 times)

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
Mango Tree - Gummosis
« on: March 03, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »
Hi All,

My Potted Mahachanok mango tree is suffering from gummosis. I've stripped the afflicted bark and painted the trunk with an interior latex paint. The paint helps locate the area that persist as it oozes with sap. I just removed that area and paint over it. Is there any thing else I can do to save my tree? Also the leaves are a bit yellow what nutrients are missing?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lTZgXci0S9IwaKZP2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/a6gst5lZ0KnRwrjr2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Gv5w7N9TFMfbgZs1

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tree - Gummosis
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:02:34 AM »
a lot of my young mango trees oozing sap, but because of boring ants or beetles not sure, I will cut out the areas, sure a huge loss to the growth of the tree, but Mangoes aren't a hard enough wood to form a burl to heal these types of wounds in my opinion.  First year of flowering in one tree, but insects bored right into the trunk at the crown... will have to cut out which will remove all flowering as well, sad.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 12:28:52 AM »
 Dear Newbie - my oldest mango tree, a Manila, had gummosis and if indeed your tree has it, I used a product called "Stature"
and  it knocked it out completely.  I used a series of soaks over 3 weeks or so.  Now 3 years later, the Leon Zest I grafted onto it
are 3 feet long and blooming....

Good luck...Gary

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 01:03:06 AM »

Can anyone identify what's causing the leaves to turn yellow?

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 01:14:02 AM »
I can't find this product, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »

If there are not any pests causing the leaves to look like that, then the tree is probably deficient from roots not up taking nutrients.  Pests tend to find unhealthy hosts in decline.  Is your soil too wet or too dry? What is that white paint on the trunk?  With that much bark dieback on such a young tree I would just replace it with a healthy one and move on.  How much sunlight does it get?
- Marley

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »
Based on that link it doesn't appear "stature" is meant for use on edibles.Do they have a specific one for edibles?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 05:56:11 PM »
try this label - its talks about agricultural use then says DO NOT USE on plants for food.

https://www.domyown.com/msds/STATURELABEL1.pdf
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:59:58 PM by behlgarden »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 06:11:13 PM »
For gummosis on my stone fruits I was successful in completely wiping out the disease by spraying Abound and Copper.  Lately I have also started Agrifos too.

I tried same thing on mangoes but not much help. Here in CA we have driest climate that brings lots of diseases like Gummosis and Phomosis. Keeping plants well irrigated and fertilized naturally would be the key.

Has anyone been able to control it completely here in CA?

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
Behl, you folks on the west coast have it better than us east coasters.I wish I didn't think peaches were one of the best fruits on earth because the high maintenance, diseases, and constant spraying make it almost not worth growing but then again I'm growing mangoes in pots too so I'm a glutton for punishment.

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »

If there are not any pests causing the leaves to look like that, then the tree is probably deficient from roots not up taking nutrients.  Pests tend to find unhealthy hosts in decline.  Is your soil too wet or too dry? What is that white paint on the trunk?  With that much bark dieback on such a young tree I would just replace it with a healthy one and move on.  How much sunlight does it get?

I watered deeply once a week when temperature's above 80F.

I painted the scar with a regular interior white paint.

The tree gets 6-8 hrs of sunlight.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
Behl, you folks on the west coast have it better than us east coasters.I wish I didn't think peaches were one of the best fruits on earth because the high maintenance, diseases, and constant spraying make it almost not worth growing but then again I'm growing mangoes in pots too so I'm a glutton for punishment.

Biggest problem I have with stone fruits is birds/squirrels. I net them, poision them but still end up losing a lot of fruit.  I eradicated the disease with one spray (hopefully fingers crossed), last year and I got good production. this year they are starting to bloom, if all goes well, then I am free of that gummosis on my stone fruits. I spray when in dormancy never on flowers or fruits. Mangoes are just very tough here in So Cal, I hope it changes once our trees hit maturity 7-10 yr old.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »

Biggest problem I have with stone fruits is birds/squirrels. I net them, poision them but still end up losing a lot of fruit.  I eradicated the disease with one spray (hopefully fingers crossed), last year and I got good production. this year they are starting to bloom, if all goes well, then I am free of that gummosis on my stone fruits. I spray when in dormancy never on flowers or fruits. Mangoes are just very tough here in So Cal, I hope it changes once our trees hit maturity 7-10 yr old.

I understand your frustration. If I have to poison something to get fruit IMO its simply not worth growing. Damaging the environment for a couple of peaches is just not wise.  Some folks I hear just grow so much that even the losses via squirrels and birds leaves them plenty of fruit. Here on the east coast its every fungus and insect on earth that ruins peaches.  Spraying fungicides and pesticides 3x during dormancy alone! I know its necessary sometimes with all trees but I hate doing it.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 11:34:01 PM »
Sorry fresh one - I didn't even look at the "Do Not Use on Edibles part of the directions.
But it's 3 years later so i assume the bad stuff has left the tree by now.  Anyway....
was just trying to help...and the stuff did work.....

G

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »
Sorry fresh one - I didn't even look at the "Do Not Use on Edibles part of the directions.
But it's 3 years later so i assume the bad stuff has left the tree by now.  Anyway....

G

Systemic will be the last resort. I have some Bayer advanced that works really well for my hibiscu. I'll use it on the Mahachanok if it continues to decline or if I detect borers.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »

G

Gary you are alive and kicking tells its done its job and no more hard for now. Have you observed any changed behavior lately since eating LZ?  ;) ;) ;) ??? ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk