Author Topic: sad luck with twist-n-plant pineapples  (Read 1252 times)

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
sad luck with twist-n-plant pineapples
« on: May 06, 2020, 07:55:22 PM »
Hi there:

I've read a number of threads over the last few weeks on pineapples, trying to see what kind of success others have had and to learn from them, because frankly speaking, I have almost none in the last three years trying to get them to root.  I've tried well over two dozen, changing my methods, water, dirt, orchid bark, lava rock, twist, cust, dry, organic, inorganic, etc, and have had only four taking root last year.  The only correlation I've found with the successes: none were sold with tags through the core.

The costco pineapple I got today was surprisingly sweet, and has said tag.  Curious, I peeled a bit more of the fronds away, and eventually the core just fell apart. 

This confuses me a little.. it shouldn't die because of this?  Someone here posted an interesting PDF that concluded it is possible to grow many pineapples by cutting the core into pieces, although, this does cause a longer time to maturity.  That said, with the removed core, I'm letting this dry a bit to "heal" and maybe it'll sprout new growth.  Bah. 

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: sad luck with twist-n-plant pineapples
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 08:19:56 PM »
That hole isn't going to kill them, but it can allow contaminates in which could promote crown rot.

I suggest the following:

Get a small tray, and lay in that tray a few paper towels.  Add water enough to keep the towels saturated.

Set the core on it where only the base touches the water.  Then wait for roots to form.

Can also wrap the base in a moistened paper towel and place in a bag as well.

Some even place in a jar, but you end up having to keep up with the water level since you don't want it submerged.

Once those roots are out, I highly doubt it will die.  You can even go as far as to seal off the hole, but don't think it'd be necessary.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:00:51 PM »
Cool.  I haven't tried the paper towel method, thanks.  :)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:38:58 PM »
If the center leaves pull out easily from the crown then its been drilled and wont grow.

You need to get offsets or slips.  They grow fine.

Brad Spaugh

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:00:22 AM »
I just put the crown in a jar with water and in a few weeks there are roots forming.

Swampsquash

• SARASOTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 12:22:57 AM »
I had really bad luck with them.  But I know my grandmother rooted then for years with no issues.   So I started potting them in native sandy soil and most of them rooted with no issues. Before I'd been using potting mix and they'd rot. So now I peel them until I see a few small roots and then plant them in sand. Definitely don't overwater them

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 10:13:08 AM »
Hello!  Original poster here.  I believe I've discovered the err in my attempts!  Way way way over watering.  I had been watering the soil and occasionally a dribble down the core every 4-7 days.  This would lead to rot in 3-4 weeks.

Early October an exchange with Millet spurred a memory from the prior year with the first successful top that was growing, I simply misted it with water once or twice a week.  I have resumed this, and the last three tops I tried in October have yet to fail.  They all appear healthy so far :)