Author Topic: Santa Teresa lemon taste?  (Read 1517 times)

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Santa Teresa lemon taste?
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:10:49 AM »
My Santa Teresa lemons are rather small, has some mandarin taste, not very lemony ,how does yours taste.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:27:48 AM by luak »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Teresa lemon taste?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »
I have an in ground tree about 10 feet tall.  It produces a lot of lemons.  I find them to be very lemony.  A clean crisp lemon taste.  I don't detect any mandarin taste at all.  How old is your tree?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:09:37 AM by Millet »

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 10:26:03 AM »
Millet, I got sionwood from you a few years back, peel is thin. Going to eat another one today and take a close up.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »
Bob, the peel on my Saint Teresa lemons looks to be standard in thickness.  I remember sending you the bud wood.  I believe you got 3 or 4 tree out of that bud wood.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:53:19 PM by Millet »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
maybe you mixed up tags. St Teresa is a great quality femminello lemon with large fruit.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
You are right, Millet I have 4 Valentines Pom’s, only one lemon tree. Pomelo were from you also

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:43:20 PM by luak »

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 04:08:50 AM »
My Santa Teresa lemons are not much different from common lemons.  They ripen over a long period of time and can hang on the tree for many months without breaking down. 
This is a great trait because lemon trees don't usually fruit year round in Phoenix AZ like they do elsewhere.  They bloom in the spring and ripen in the winter.
My Meyer lemons all ripen within a month and starts to rot or dry up a month after that, so Santa Teresa is more useful here in Phoenix.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 07:09:41 AM »
I better start taking inventory of my citrus collection. Been grafting so much, and not tagging like I should. With all the problems with the southern states, taking its toll with citrus forums, I am glad I started my collection before it all happened. I am at capacity, might do some adjusting, who knows.
After this tagging problem, I notice that I have 2 other tree’s very similar fruits and ripening, same size, rather small.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 11:28:13 AM »
My Santa Teresa lemons are not much different from common lemons.  They ripen over a long period of time and can hang on the tree for many months without breaking down. 
This is a great trait because lemon trees don't usually fruit year round in Phoenix AZ like they do elsewhere.  They bloom in the spring and ripen in the winter.
My Meyer lemons all ripen within a month and starts to rot or dry up a month after that, so Santa Teresa is more useful here in Phoenix.

That is interesting because my meyer lemons hand on the tree for a long time and remain very juicy whereas Eurekas in my experience dry up.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »
I just started picking my first crop of St Teresa lemons, and I don't think I can tell the difference between them and grocery store lemons.  I just compared them side by side, taste and peel smell.

Meyer lemons, for comparison, smell VERY different.  Not better, just noticeably different. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 05:54:12 AM »
Brian, you should leave one ST lemon hanging once it turns color, then date it and keep track of it to see how long it will stay good on the tree. I have a mini-size lemon fruit on my unknown grafted branch that has 3 lemons which has turned light yellow and has been hanging on the tree since July (5 months) and still looks the same. I plan to see how long it will hang on the tree and still be good.