Author Topic: Inground citrus fertilizer  (Read 1195 times)

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Inground citrus fertilizer
« on: January 21, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »
What brand fertilizer do you folks recommend for inground citrus?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Inground citrus fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:02:10 PM »
I used to use Osmocote plus pellets for my in-ground in-greenhouse trees but it got too expensive as they grew up, so now I am using monthly application of Jacks HPF 25-5-15. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:37:44 PM »
I also use Jacks 25--5-15 for in ground trees that are growing inside a greenhouse.  For trees that are growing outdoors, for example in a front or back yard many people use common ones such as 6-6-6; 8-8-8 and for older large trees 10-10-10.  I also use Jacks for container trees.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 09:21:09 AM »
I was listening to a Tom Spellman(Dave Wilson Nursery) video on youtube where he was a guest speaker and recommended a much lower ( by triple) nitrogen over the P,P in the NPP ratio. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 10:33:14 AM »
Vlad, the important thing is to fertilize citrus trees aside of the formula one uses.  The 6-6-6; 8-8-8; and 10-10-10 formulations are the recommendations of the University of Florida.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:36:10 PM »
Once the citrus tree is full size it doesn't need a ton of nitrogen.  Some of you guys are nitrogen freaks.  Using jacks and spraying urea totally overkill here, my trees are green and healthy with just mulch and occasional chicken manure and maybe some citrus fertilizer (8-6-8 with micros) and handful of 0-0-22

This last year it was just mulch and chicken poop and very little if any bag fertilizer, trees were loaded up so much branches are hanging down and bending to the point of almost broken. 
Brad Spaugh

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 08:57:23 PM »
Once the citrus tree is full size it doesn't need a ton of nitrogen.  Some of you guys are nitrogen freaks.  Using jacks and spraying urea totally overkill here, my trees are green and healthy with just mulch and occasional chicken manure and maybe some citrus fertilizer (8-6-8 with micros) and handful of 0-0-22

This last year it was just mulch and chicken poop and very little if any bag fertilizer, trees were loaded up so much branches are hanging down and bending to the point of almost broken.
Thats what I heard from Tom Spellman who works with UC Davis , Riverside and other places and speaks at those venues.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 09:02:56 AM »
I have always used regular 10-10-10, when I'm fertilizing the lawn I'll also add a bunch of Milorganite around the tree's. I also load up on Epsom salt from the dollars store & add that to the lawn & trees a few times a year.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 10:34:44 AM »
I throw some hand fulls of 10-10-10 at them in Spring when fertilizing the lawn and apple trees, throw some osmocote at them when fertilizing flower beds couple times a year, and they get a few hits of Miracle Grow through water hose application several times a year when watering gardens. Mine get home made wood mulch each year too which is organic matter added to soil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk