Author Topic: which jaboticaba to grow  (Read 468 times)

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
which jaboticaba to grow
« on: February 09, 2021, 07:45:17 PM »
Hi:

I have a spot in my garden that after some research in November and December I think a jaboticaba might grow decently.  Goal is quick growth and tasty. 

Zone 10a, coastal so cal (<1 mile from beach).  Relative humidity averages around 65%, temps rarely fall below 40F in the winter, and rarely get over 85F in the summer.  The particular garden spot is near full shade for six months from late fall through early spring, and full sun rest of the six months.  Soil drains well but for is moist most of the year because of over-watering from the HOA.  pH is 7.8, I've begun amending with acidic soil mix and spreading the soil acidifier like sulfur.  Tree needs to stay below 8ft in height.

There's quite a lot of information here (especially the jaboticaba's anonymous thread), I'm confused which one I should try to grow and how to go about it.    Escarlate?  Red hybrid?  I read there was a variety that did better in high pH soil and drought conditions, and some were grafting the more vigorous varieties to it.  Should I consider this?  I was sort of hoping to start from seed, given the lower entry cost and not feeling so bad if it doesn't make it. 

Thanks for reading.

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Re: which jaboticaba to grow
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 08:03:50 PM »
Hi:

I have a spot in my garden that after some research in November and December I think a jaboticaba might grow decently.  Goal is quick growth and tasty. 

Zone 10a, coastal so cal (<1 mile from beach).  Relative humidity averages around 65%, temps rarely fall below 40F in the winter, and rarely get over 85F in the summer.  The particular garden spot is near full shade for six months from late fall through early spring, and full sun rest of the six months.  Soil drains well but for is moist most of the year because of over-watering from the HOA.  pH is 7.8, I've begun amending with acidic soil mix and spreading the soil acidifier like sulfur.  Tree needs to stay below 8ft in height.

There's quite a lot of information here (especially the jaboticaba's anonymous thread), I'm confused which one I should try to grow and how to go about it.    Escarlate?  Red hybrid?  I read there was a variety that did better in high pH soil and drought conditions, and some were grafting the more vigorous varieties to it.  Should I consider this?  I was sort of hoping to start from seed, given the lower entry cost and not feeling so bad if it doesn't make it. 

Thanks for reading.

The fastest fruiting option is escarlet. Red is a close second for early fruiting. However, these do not love alkaline soil. This doesnt mean they wont grow, they will just grow slower and look worse. Sabara does better in the soil but takes forever to fruit. A grafted sabara rootstock will do better in your soil.

Best tasting is probably grimal, but there are many good ones, and personal preference will influence this.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: which jaboticaba to grow
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 08:40:39 PM »
If I had to do one I would do red
Thin skin, multiple crops, small seed,
I throw a handful of sulpher around my trees on the first
of every month. I live in Florida though and you should ask locals

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk