Author Topic: My Yard in Tampa  (Read 1991 times)

Alan_Tampa

• USA, FLORIDA, TAMPA, CITRUS PARK, ZONE IS DENIAL
    • View Profile
My Yard in Tampa
« on: May 06, 2021, 02:31:25 PM »

Alan_Tampa

• View Profile
Re: My Yard in Tampa
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
New to forum, sorry for crumby pics. The first one is a shot of my Bombax ceiba I planted in 2000.  It does make a few pods. Not really a fruit tree, but shows how long I have been at this location. Was planted the day I closed on this house.

Second is a shot from the roof. Inga grumichama and jackfruit on the left. And an inga in the middle.

Trunk of jacfruit, deformed by the winter of 2010.

Alan_Tampa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 02:43:43 PM »

Garcinia xanthochymus

jackfruit trunk, 2010 damage
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:45:31 PM by Alan_Tampa »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:35:15 PM »
Excuse me, but aren't your trees in the third photo planted too close to the house? If they start actively growing, they could damage the foundation, which could lead to cracks. Mold can appear in those cracks.
Ah yes.  So what product do you recommend?  You forgot to provide a link.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 09:32:55 AM »
Excuse me, but aren't your trees in the third photo planted too close to the house? If they start actively growing, they could damage the foundation, which could lead to cracks. Mold can appear in those cracks.

lol. Perhaps you can link us to some voluminous moustache mousse products as well.

Cool garcinia Al!

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
If only I had the power....Vigo would be vi-gone.

Alan_Tampa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 11:23:44 AM »

The trees are fairly close, however in 20 years anything burrowing under the foundation has not been an issue. I also have trees planted too closely to the septic system, but as of yet, nothing a shovel hasn't been able to correct.  Most of my plants are borderline climate-wise for my area.  The close planting to both the house and other trees has a notable advantage when real winter comes.  And, the trees have been actively growing for 20 years.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
It's coming in and modifying its posts with the links. I'm following its profile now and deleting its links. It should give up and move along.

Alan_Tampa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 02:32:54 PM »
i didn't realize that was a bot. He seemed so concerned.

Alan_Tampa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »

Decent crop this year.  First year it made fruit was 2009, in the winter for some dumb reason, then it froze to waist high or so in January 2010.

2016 it started to fruit again, and since then has fruited every year. Uneven pollination in many fruit, lots of rag, but still decent amount of the good stuff in some fruit.  There have been a good number of perfect fruit too, 15lbs has been the largest.  This tree was grown from seed, parent was the good old NS-1.

Tree has to be 35ft tall. Not too bad for Tampa. Was told I would never get fruit, that ticked me off, so I grew it out of spite.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 10:04:42 AM »
That is close to the house for a seedling jack. Have you ever seen a seedling jackfruit that is 60+ years old? It will grow into a massive tree and could end up messing with the foundation of your house.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 10:08:11 AM »
Nice healthy jackfruit tree Alan!  That's a nice amount of fruit for the tree to hold.  Glad to see you pulling that off up in Tampa!

Brad
Brad

Alan_Tampa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 10:20:11 AM »
Brad, thanks. 

Ben, here in Tampa, 20 years of growth can be gone in one night.  Close to the house, south side is about the only place to be able to get size on something like jackfruit here.  Unless one is close to the water somewhere. I tried several other jackfruit in various spots of the yard.  Either not enough sun, or when small the more frequent cold winters took them out.  Since 2010, have only had damage once (2018), so starting one after that may have been a lot more successful.  But in my experience, plants grow better the more inconvenient the growing site is.

Alan_Tampa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »
Garcinia aristata

Got this in May of 2010 as a rescue from a house that was getting sinkhole repair.  No time to pre-dig, no time to prep. House was about 1 mile from mine, long time collector, who also sold the house and was moving west.  Tree had the top frozen off in January 2010, it was tucked under the eaves and between a mango tree. Was loaded with fruit.  It was about 8 ft tall after the weather had pruned it. It is about 12ft tall or so now, suffered no dieback from the move and is in a cozy spot between the Bombax and a mango. It does fruit.

All my plants are packed in, winner takes all approach, so photography is tough!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 11:42:37 AM »
Nice g. aristata.

How do you find the flavor of the fruits, and at about what size did it start fruiting?