Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

when to pick Chandler pummelo?

<< < (5/13) > >>

brian:
I guess it is a bit pink, might not be fully developed.  I will buy one of the pummelos I see at the grocery store for comparison.

My tree is from Fourwinds so I highly doubt they would mislabel the variety.

sc4001992:
Brian, good to hear you pummelo taste very good. But yours does not look like a Chandler to me. I have a large tree and the fruits do get about 1-2 lbs and pretty round shape, but your flesh doesn't look like a pummelo. It looks more like a hybrid of a pummelo and grapefrut.

My Chandler pummelo fruits always showed some pink around the outer flesh of the fruit, never fully pink all over. Also when you cut the Chandler you can't easily peel it, and the individual sack segments needs to peeled apart, then the membrane needs to be removed before you can get to the flesh.  See the photo from UCR of what the Chandler normally looks like.

Your fruit looks more like my cocktail_grapefruit or the Oroblanco. The Chandler should have seeds, your has super small seeds.

Seanny:

For here, most years they are ready by new year.

Tastes much better than Sumo at this time.

brian:
I ate a Melogold (pummelo/grapefruit hybrid?) that I bought at a grocery store when I was in Florida, and it was just like the supposed Chandler fruit from my tree.  I wonder if Fourwinds sold me a mislabelled tree?

I am thinking of ordering a new Chandler from MadisonCitrus, and of course I see they have a bunch of other pummelo types I've never tried.  Hirado Buntan, Large Pink, Red Shaddock, Pink Sensation, Siamese Pink.  I will probably just stick to Chandler though as I know I like it.  The only other pink pummelo I've tried was a chinese type from a grocery store that was quite similar to Chandler but not quite as good in my opinion.

Seanny:

Cooler pomelo fruit means more lycopene, deeper red.
The bag above blocked most light to keep fruit cool.

Maybe your Chandler fruits were too hot inside GH?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version