Author Topic: Jamaican tangelo/Ugli fruit/Uniq fruit (Citrus reticulata × paradisi)  (Read 1291 times)

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
I recently purchased some ugli fruit from the grocery store and am amazed how delicious these are. Possibly my new favorite citrus! The inside is simialr to a pomelo with differentiating membranes. The ones I bought contained 10 or less seeds in each. I plan on growing them until I lose interest or need more space in the greenhouse.

Is anyone growing these outdide of their native range? If so, how are the overall characteristics of shape, size, taste, and overall hardiness?

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaican tangelo/Ugli fruit/Uniq fruit (Citrus reticulata × paradisi)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 08:26:54 AM »
I have 7 seedlings all from one ugli fruit putting on their second batch of leaves.

Anyone have any info on these?

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 06:34:09 PM »
I was finally able to find a grafted tree online last month. The seller's description said when this fruit is grown outside the tropics, the fruits tend to be more acidic in flavor?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 11:19:02 PM »
All the citrus I found on various caribbean vacations were pretty poor.  Are these known to be superior in some way?  Compared to the best mandarins I mean

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 12:32:13 AM »
since last year I have grafted one in pot, but still no fruits, but also heared that fruit should be excellent. Hope so in my climate with greenhouse overwintering too   ???.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 04:23:03 AM »
I have one that is an Ugli fruit, it gets fruits, much smaller than the ones I see on internet. Taste is average, hoping one year it will start tasting good but so far, no improvement here in SoCal. Maybe my tree is a seedling variety, and it is nothing special so far. It seems to be a dwarf type tree here.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 11:41:11 AM »
About a decade ago my grocery store carried Ugli fruit. I think Coast Tropicals or one of the other big specialty fruit companies was pushing it at the time. I loved it; it is still on my list of favorite citrus. Unfortunately, I was not growing citrus back then. I did not save the seeds and have never found an online nursery with the tree in stock. I have also never seen the fruit again. It was a fad fruit that never caught on enough with the general public, at least where I live.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk