Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

How do you rate your Gold Series mandarins.

(1/3) > >>

luak:
This year I will rate my Gold Series mandarins again.It will be the third year they fruited. Have to wait till February to find out. Last year they tasted very, very good. Btw, I converted my Page to Lee Nova, a tad better but also much bigger, great tasting and very juicy, another winner for me.

sc4001992:
Which are the gold series you are talking about?
Is it Yoshemite Gold, Shasta Gold, Tahoe Gold  ?

I read that Shasta Gold was the best tasting of the three. I bought a Shasta, my small tree had a few fruits this year (Dec-Jan) that was good but not excellent. A ripe Gold Nugget might be a little sweeter than the Shasta Gold. I also have Ponkan which I think tastes better than the 3 Golds and the Gold Nugget.

luak:
If you like super sweets, Gold Nugget is your choice. I am very happy with all three. Tahoe the least but still good to grow. A huge variety is not my thing, because I grow so many different fruits. My quota for citrus is at max.

brian:
My first crop of Shasta Gold was the best mandarins I've ever had, I think.  I have never really had a Gold Nugget that impressed me, though some people really swear by them. 

I just planted my Shasta Gold in-ground in my greenhouse (replacing Tango), and it has green fruit that are starting to color

sc4001992:
Luak,

I like citrus fruits that are sweet with some acid. Valentine and Cocktail grapefruits are sweet with hardly any acidic taste so it's not on the top of my list. Same thing with Oroblanco and Melogold, both are pretty sweet grapefruits but I like my pomelo which has a little acidic taste better. Yes, I'm trying to reduce my citrus varieties down to a few of my favorites for each mandarin, grapefruit, pomelo.

Can you tell me between the Shasta Gold and Yoshemite Gold, which one you like better or describe the taste comparison of these.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version