Author Topic: Timing My Harvest of Ponkan Mandarins  (Read 730 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Timing My Harvest of Ponkan Mandarins
« on: February 08, 2022, 11:55:02 PM »
First off, thank you to everyone here who made it possible for me to grow citrus successfully (after previously losing all my citrus to greening) in South Florida, especially Millet (you’re always so generous with sharing your knowledge).
I am harvesting my first Ponkan mandarins and I only had four so I want to make sure that I time the harvest right for the remaining two. I harvested my first one on January 27th. It still had quite a bit of green color and the taste was intensely tart/ tangy. The second I picked today (2/8); it was not as intensely flavored as the first one, it was less tart but not any sweeter, which I had hoped. Should I expect them to sweeten more if left longer on the tree or should I just pick them now (they are orange and slightly give when squeezed)?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Timing My Harvest of Ponkan Mandarins
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 01:28:33 AM »
I'm in SoCal so our ripening times are different. But when my Ponkan fruits ripen I can tell because they get pretty bright orange fully on the outside. Your tree may still be to young so in a few years the fruits may get better (sweeter).
My fruits ripen and tastes very good from December to March, but I usually pick them all by end of February. I still have about 10 ripe fruits left on the tree now and they taste very good.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 12:47:50 PM »
I'm in SoCal so our ripening times are different. But when my Ponkan fruits ripen I can tell because they get pretty bright orange fully on the outside. Your tree may still be to young so in a few years the fruits may get better (sweeter).
My fruits ripen and tastes very good from December to March, but I usually pick them all by end of February. I still have about 10 ripe fruits left on the tree now and they taste very good.

Thank you! I will let them get more Orange. I was also thinking my tree is too young for a good example of what it will be.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 01:17:16 PM »
I have been p1cking fruit from my Ponkans for 10  days.   They are tasting good.  My Ponkan tree is planted in the ground (greenhouse) and is 10 years old.   I believe your less sweet fruit is probably due to your tree's youth.  Each year the quality of the  fruit should improve.  As a side note, Ponkan is a variety that normally becomes alternate bearing with years of high fruit count followed by the off year of few fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk