Author Topic: sign of citrus greening  (Read 2053 times)

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
sign of citrus greening
« on: June 03, 2022, 11:58:18 AM »
Location is san diego out of the quarantine area.  However, I'm seeing signs on my trees that I think could be citrus greening (huang long bin).  These trees were healthy as recent as 2 months ago with full of little fruits.  I fed them with micronutrients in late February so I think it is not a micronutrients deficiency.  But I left town for 9 days 6 weeks ago and when I came back it deteriorated.  Below are some pictures.  I have contacted CDFA and they will have someone calli me next week to check.  I'm dreading this.  Two of the trees in the photos are sumo and one is a multigrafted.  Do they look like citrus greening?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: sign of citrus greening
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 12:25:08 PM »
I have only seen the CCPP website photos and your leaves looks more like a bad case of mold and fungus. I read the HLB infected trees takes a few years before it starts showing the yellow/veins in the leaves and the fruits start to look bad. But your yellow leaf color doesn't look normal. Something is wrong with your tree.

I guess you will know for sure when they come and test your plants. If they are HLB/citrus greening then your area will be in a quarantine zone now.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 12:28:38 PM »
How would you deal with such mold and fungus? 
I have only seen the CCPP website photos and your leaves looks more like a bad case of mold and fungus. I read the HLB infected trees takes a few years before it starts showing the yellow/veins in the leaves and the fruits start to look bad. But your yellow leaf color doesn't look normal. Something is wrong with your tree.

I guess you will know for sure when they come and test your plants. If they are HLB/citrus greening then your area will be in a quarantine zone now.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 01:07:10 PM »
No not citrus greening.  Many of the leaves are just showing that they are old.  A citrus leaf has a life span of 18 months.  How often do you fertilize your tree, and how old is the tree/

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 02:44:00 PM »
The two sumo are 2.5 years and the multi-grafted one is 4 years old.  I topped the multigrafted last year and graft a few different varieties onto it.  I fertilize about every 2 months. 

No not citrus greening.  Many of the leaves are just showing that they are old.  A citrus leaf has a life span of 18 months.  How often do you fertilize your tree, and how old is the tree/

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 03:10:29 PM »
The 2.5 year old tree should b e fertilized 4 times per growing season. and the 4 year old tree 3 times per growing season.  The University recommends fertilizing with a 6-6-6 or a 8-8-8.  The best to you and your trees.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 07:38:24 PM »
Not greening as others have said.

in most places except Florida you at least have a chance to avoid it. In Florida it’s more or less a guarantee you’re tree will get it. Lemons, limes,kumquats and finger limes especially show some resilience to it as do a few newer tangerine varieties.

There are still groves around Florida that won’t give up the ghost and spraying the trees with chemical cocktails weekly...I guess it’s better to poison all of us.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 09:34:00 PM »
I hate to be the odd man out on this one, but I think your trees do have some HLB symptoms. Picture #6 especially looks that way to me. Maybe it is just that my phone does not have that great of resolution, but it appears that the yellow patches are blotchy and asymmetrical. Picture #5 is definitely something else. I am not as familiar with that disease--whatever it is. I would be curious to know what the inspector says when he comes.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 10:00:24 PM »
I hope it is not HLB by the way. I don't want to be a pessimist, but that disease has just been burned into my brain from seeing it everyday. It has been a heart breaking disease to watch here in Central Florida. Kindof like being forced to watch your home burn to the ground without being able to do anything to prevent it. I have several dear friends in the industry among them are one in his 80s and another in his 90s. They remember Florida before AC and Disney. Few people have worked harder or longer to earn what they have and it breaks my heart to see them working to the bone when someone in the corporate world would have been retired for 20 or 30 years by this point. Neither of them would have stayed at it if they thought there was any possibility that they were harming others by all the things they were trying to find a solution. Neither they nor their groves will be around much longer--what can I say. The Lord gives and takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 11:47:43 PM »
It looks to me like you may have sprayed your trees with either a homemade or incorrect application of an insecticidal soap or nutritional spray. Then the leaves burned and the plants went into a state of shock.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 12:08:45 PM »
I hope it's not either.  Glory to Jesus Christ..thank you.
I hope it is not HLB by the way. I don't want to be a pessimist, but that disease has just been burned into my brain from seeing it everyday. It has been a heart breaking disease to watch here in Central Florida. Kindof like being forced to watch your home burn to the ground without being able to do anything to prevent it. I have several dear friends in the industry among them are one in his 80s and another in his 90s. They remember Florida before AC and Disney. Few people have worked harder or longer to earn what they have and it breaks my heart to see them working to the bone when someone in the corporate world would have been retired for 20 or 30 years by this point. Neither of them would have stayed at it if they thought there was any possibility that they were harming others by all the things they were trying to find a solution. Neither they nor their groves will be around much longer--what can I say. The Lord gives and takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 12:11:38 PM »
Maybe..before this, I sprayed with a mixture of insecticidal soap + spinosad to prevent leaf miner but I only sprayed when it's cool.  I also sprayed with a mixture of micronutrients + seaweed extract + fish hydrolysate (all organics). 

It looks to me like you may have sprayed your trees with either a homemade or incorrect application of an insecticidal soap or nutritional spray. Then the leaves burned and the plants went into a state of shock.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 05:13:34 PM »
Do not be shocked if The tree drops most of its leaves. It will rebound. But you will probably lose a year's worth of crop. You will need to stay on top of the soil moisture for those plants in the pots. With a heat that is coming up over the weekend, it might be a good idea to throw a shade cloth over your affected trees.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 05:41:58 PM »
My tree had similar problem like yours.  I sprayed it with copper 3x and it cleared up.  Be sure to spray under the leaves well. Good luck
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 05:44:17 PM by Lovetoplant »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 10:43:56 PM »
I hope it's not either.  Glory to Jesus Christ..thank you.

Amen brother! Good luck with your tree!

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 04:22:23 PM »
I do not see any fruit on the tree, but if it has some, cut it down the middle along its axis (not along the "equator").  If the central column in the fruit is curved, rather than straight, that is a tell-tale sign of HLB.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 02:52:11 AM »
Some of the images look like greasy spot to me.

-Brett

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 01:08:14 PM »
Bret, long time no see.  Welcome back.

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2022, 04:21:10 AM »
Thanks Millet.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 05:12:23 AM »
Looks like every tree in Florida on some photos others look good. A good chance of greening. Trees grown from seed are not really affected by greening not much. But they revert to a wild state larger tree more thorns sour fruit. And some grafted varieties hold on for a really long time with greening. Others are goners.