Author Topic: Multi rootstock grafting  (Read 2289 times)

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Multi rootstock grafting
« on: September 13, 2022, 06:35:24 AM »
Good morning all, I am wondering if anyone has made a multi rootstock tree they could share some of the experience. Observed it growing much quicker? Do the  differing genetics in the rootstock help with nutrient uptake? I have lots of seedlings I've been collecting of mango, longan, sapodilla, garcinias, eugenias, and loquats for some experimenting.
If anyone has a picture of a mature multigrafted rootstock tree I'd really appreciate seeing its splendor. I suppose if nobody does I will keep a log and some pictures when the time comes to share the experience amongst the community. Thank you!

Amy K

• FL zone 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Multi rootstock grafting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 08:27:42 AM »
Hi Tim. Multiple roots stocks is common practice in Thailand. Type in เสริมรากต้นไม้ or เสริมรากมะม่วง in Google or YouTube it you want to see videos. it should show many pictures of how it look. The tree will grow thicker trunk in shorter amount of time and less chance of falling  over especially in durian tree. You can add it younger tree or mature trees.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 10:57:56 AM »
I recently did this to a jaboticaba. Hopefully it speeds up growth by a lot.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 07:39:41 PM »
Amy k that search worked 👍...thank you very much. I had found a couple before but now I see a lot.
How far along is the jaboticaba, jabo45? I hope it speeds things up for you.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 08:32:34 PM »
Amy k that search worked 👍...thank you very much. I had found a couple before but now I see a lot.
I did the graft last July so it's been around 3 months since. Union has healed and the tree looks like it's about to grow more.
I read that after 3 rootstocks, the returns start to slow down. So I think 2-3 rootstocks in total is the limit.

billm

• USA, Zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 08:49:43 PM »
Here's a thread for multi-rootstock mango:

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20852.0

There are some pictures but I don't recall if any of those are of a mature tree.  Here's a thread for lychee:

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6551.0

I've seen some others but not recalling them now.

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 01:56:22 PM »

@simongrow has some threads on multi-rootstock mango and jabo, in the case of jabo he observed better precocity, growth rate etc, and as other posters have mentioned, in some part of the tropics it is common to multi rootstock graft durian, rambutan, mangosteen, etc, 2-3 for best results and then law of diminishing returns kicks in

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 06:31:34 AM »
Good to know only use 2-3 and no more. Thank you everyone  for the help finding some info. I'm gonna try a couple this weekend. Just double rootstocks. I have some loguat, couple caimito, and some achacha are thick enough. I'll take some pics for everyone if I get some time to have fun. Have a great Friday everyone!

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 03:38:01 PM »
I hope reviving this thread is ok. I have been using approach grafts vs inarching to add NS1 seedling rootstocks to jackfruit trees that were planted late last winter. Some of them were chlorotic from being pot bound and made no growth this summer. Most of the grafts have taken and are on there way. The tops of the root graft seedlings are still attached. I have already seen new and healthy growth and greening up on most that were sick. Will try for some pics later. Before and after wold have been more informative so not very scientific.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 08:56:21 PM »
 Very cool, sounds like you got a lot going on over there artocarpus. Hope you get some good strong grafts! I've yet to try jackfruit grafting. There's a black gold and orange crush back there going on 7-8'.
  I think the double rootstock mango I grafted took. Tape is starting to split off and looks promising. Will try grafting a known cultivar to it eventually. Loquat seedlings will be next.

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 09:59:38 PM »
Did you approach graft or inarch it. The seedlings I used would be considered as epicotyl and only a couple of mm thick. I used a tiny finger plane used by violin makers to cut rootstock. Looks like most of them took. I grafted about 20 jf trees mostly double and triple. I don’t know when I will cut tops off but decided to leave them to help them heal faster. That is why the approach graft idea seemed safer than inarching with tops cut off from the beginning.
Have you considered doing any multiple rootstocks to your jf? Hope yours work out well.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 05:45:17 AM »
Wow, that method you used seems very reliable. Those sure are tiny still. Sounds like a real challenge. Great work! I just thought about grafting more onto them now you mention it. They blew right over during the storm and probably could use the extra root systems to strengthen them up a bit.
I just used a side veneer graft and chopped the top off on 1 rootstock before grafting. I'll snap a picture today of the practice plant. I'm pretty much a rookie enjoying the hobby lol.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 07:33:48 AM by Timbogrow »

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 03:18:50 PM »
If the rootstock seedlings were bigger inarching like you did would have been an option. I believe you will get a cleaner graft union your way on bigger stock. Some of the approach grafts callus uneven and pretty ugly with larger material. Learning to graft for me was a necessity in the mid 80s. You could not buy citrus because of the citrus canker quarantine statewide. Many groves were burned by DOA. So budding citrus trees was kindly taught to me from an older farmer. So before buddy tape and Tina grafting knife stripping plastic shopping bags and anything sharp worked just fine. Vegetative state and time of year a requisite are so important.
I learned things from Matt Tari,, Vivian and Bob Murray and others. So before YouTube and this media there was working in real time and being there with some awesome folks long gone.

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 03:28:14 PM »

Sorry for such bad pics. These are in the ground, the plastic pots are strips to protect from rabbits.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 06:37:04 PM by Artocarpus »

shilohtech

• USA, Hawaii/Oahu, Mililani, 12a
    • View Profile
    • Grow Tropical Fruits Youtube Page
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 04:49:17 PM »
I have done a few multi rootstock grafts on jaboticaba.

Here is an example of how drastic it can be.

Both were grafted PDM Peluda do Mucuri onto sabara rootstock at the same time from the same source.

I double rootstock grafted one of them 1 year ago. This is what the 2 trees look like today.

Double rootstock on the left. Single rootstock on the right (still in a community pot since I intended to multi rootstock graft this one as well, but never got around to it yet)

Closeup on the double rootstock trunk.

Single rootstock tree

I am aware that the double rootstock has a bigger pot, but that was because of how fast it out grew the 1 gal pot. I am also aware that the community pot of the single rootstock tree could be slowing it down since it has competing root space.

Across the board all of the double rootstocks are leaps and bounds ahead of single grafted trees.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 05:14:00 PM »
I have done this with citrus trees for testibg cold hardiness of different varieties. Up to now it works good, but I guess in future pruning of the fast growers will be necessary.

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2022, 06:41:59 PM »
I have done a few multi rootstock grafts on jaboticaba.
That is impressive. Nothing none scientific about having to bump up pot for the multi graft. The fact is you had t bump up pot because of accelerated growth.
Here is an example of how drastic it can be.

Both were grafted PDM Peluda do Mucuri onto sabara rootstock at the same time from the same source.

I double rootstock grafted one of them 1 year ago. This is what the 2 trees look like today.

Double rootstock on the left. Single rootstock on the right (still in a community pot since I intended to multi rootstock graft this one as well, but never got around to it yet)

Closeup on the double rootstock trunk.

Single rootstock tree

I am aware that the double rootstock has a bigger pot, but that was because of how fast it out grew the 1 gal pot. I am also aware that the community pot of the single rootstock tree could be slowing it down since it has competing root space.

Across the board all of the double rootstocks are leaps and bounds ahead of single grafted “

That is impressive. Nothing none scientific about having to bump up pot for the multi graft. The fact is you had t bump up pot because of accelerated growth.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 04:13:33 AM by Artocarpus »

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2022, 07:21:32 PM »
That's promising looking results Artocarpus! I should dig up some more mango seedlings from under the tree as a control and plant in same size pot with same soil mix.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 06:24:35 PM »
Biew Kiew longan added 2 rootstocks definitely helped with fruit production.

Kohala airlayer longan was a weak tree until added 1 rootstock.

Mallika mango on turpentine rootstock added a Manila rootstock. Manila rootstock got as fat as original tree

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 08:15:19 PM »
Wow those are rad! Nice work fruit4me. Do you remember what type of seedling rootstock you added to your longans?

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2022, 08:38:15 PM »
Timbogrow
For the Biew Kiew tree, I used a biew kiew seedling and a Kohala seedling. The Kohala tree was a Kohala seedling.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2022, 11:33:41 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to save some seeds from them all when they fruit so I have some compatible stock to graft to them.

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2022, 11:56:58 PM »
Fruit4me,
Do you use approach grafts or inarching to add rootstocks?

Nice work on mango Timbo.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2022, 11:28:43 AM »
Most of my added rootstocks  for the longans were grafted like picture below