Author Topic: Is there hope to save my mango tree?  (Read 1416 times)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
Is there hope to save my mango tree?
« on: October 12, 2022, 10:53:19 AM »
My mango tree was knocked down hard by hurricane Ian. When I tried to straighten the tree, I decided in a split second that I would also correct an earlier mistake of planting it too low. So, I dug up the roots and replanted the tree. Now my mango tree looks like it is dying, and I had to cut it back quite a bit while watering it every couple of days.
Is there a way to increase my chances of saving this mango tree? My wife absolutely loves its fruits.
Thanks.

Tom

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Is there hope to save my mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 11:41:28 AM »
If it was mine (I've only been doing this seriously for a few years), I'd take all the leaves off (I'd usually leave a handful if they look healthy, but none of those in your pics do). Until your roots re-establish, leaves aren't doing anything but drawing moisture/energy from the tree. Looks like you have fairly thick, healthy branches; I wouldn't do anything while that is the case, but watch for any signs of shriveling/wrinkling or discoloration in any branch. If you see that, take that branch off or down to where it looks healthy.

You'll probably start seeing small green nubs of growth at old leaf nodes as the tree tries to put out new branches/leaves, likely many more than would be ideal. I would spend a little time analyzing the existing branches and decide where the best points for new branches to grow from would be, then I would remove (scratching with your fingernail does the trick) all the little nubs besides those where you want branches. Limiting the number reduces the energy drain on the tree (it doesn't have leaves, so it has only its finite, stored energy to draw from) and increases the amount of energy going to the chosen nubs.

Good Luck!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »
You likely severed the taproot, in addition to other key feeder roots.

Maybe get some Superthrive, and mix as directed on the bottle. Water with it to see if the remaining roots respond.

A little shade might help, as its lost most of its leaves and protection.

Good luck!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 03:44:43 PM »
I've not seen them recover once they reach that stage. That said you might be able to save the variety by grafting some to the tree in the background, and then grafting a new tree with the saved budwood.

Do you know the variety? You may be able to obtain another tree of the same type.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 04:09:38 PM »
Can you see where the graft union was? Worst case scenario, if you can locate that on the trunk, you could top the tree as far above that union point as possible, just leaving the main trunk. That will take the longest to get back to fruiting, but it will be the greatest strain reduction on the root system and you'd still get whatever fruit it is your wife loves (likely in 2-4 years).

Looking at your branches in the attached pics, you can see the wrinkling, creases in the one branch. Cut anything that even begins to look like that all the way off. It looks to me like the other branches in the photo are still plump and green, I think it has a good chance of making it. I had a relative do something similar with an avocado tree a little larger than that. Uprooted the entire tree without care for the root system and replanted it in another location. I did as I recommended below, 6 months later it was thriving again.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 07:11:26 PM »
Thank you all for your ideas to save my mango tree.

@JakeFruit: I could see the graft line – see pic. This afternoon, I removed a couple of small branches that were wrinkling. One of the branches in the previous pic looks like it is not giving up on life yet, so that gives me some hope.
@roblack: I may have done that – damage the taproot, to be frank. No excuse, I thought I knew what I was doing.
@Oolie: this is a Kiew Yai tree that I bought from Fruitscapes last year.

I will try to save this one until I can’t help it anymore. It brought us a lot of fond moments when it gave us our first ever mangoes.

Tom

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 07:40:09 PM »
If the search result is correct, it should be the same as golden queen, which isn't too rare, getting a replacement should be possible even if all else fails.
That said, if there's no green under the bark down below the parts that still look good, then the best bet to save it would be to remove some healthy growth and graft it to a thriving tree asap.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 10:58:08 PM »
Drape shade cloth over the tree (or even an old sheet) and mist the foliage. Water several times a day. If it starts dropping leaves, it will live. If it keeps the leaves and they shrivel up, it will probably die in my experience.

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 03:15:16 PM »
I rescued 2 mango and 2 survived. With mango, you need to prune back, remove all the leaves and fruits. Cover with shade cloth until it bounce back. Water regularly. Good luck!

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 03:41:35 PM »
I rescued 2 mango and 2 survived. With mango, you need to prune back, remove all the leaves and fruits. Cover with shade cloth until it bounce back. Water regularly. Good luck!

This is a more well done transplanting, but similar to what was done with the avocado I mentioned below. It's obviously drastic to remove all branches, but (if you lost most/all of your roots) it's your best shot.

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »

This is a more well done transplanting, but similar to what was done with the avocado I mentioned below. It's obviously drastic to remove all branches, but (if you lost most/all of your roots) it's your best shot.

If he dug up and replanted higher in addition to Hurricane Ian damages, it likely severed all the primary roots. It's pretty much like transplanting even if it's the same hole.

Even with that well of transplant, I still have alot of die back.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:06:07 PM by greenerpasteur »

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 08:43:56 AM »
Update: I am still hopeful that this tree will make it. It's been more than a month and some of the branches still look like there's life in them.
I water the tree at least once a day, about a gallon each time. I removed the shade cloth right before hurricane Nicole.
Is there anything else I should do besides watering the tree and meditating until I see a sign?
Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 08:47:56 AM by fruitnoob »
Tom

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 09:52:38 AM »

A gallon a day is far too much water, stop watering it. It's been a month and you don't have any new growth that I can see at the internodes, that's not a good sign. It looks like you *might* have green bark at some of those lower internodes, but that's the only positive I can see. Top branches definitely look dead. You could start removing branches/wood at the top and work your way down until you find live wood on each branch, but I would probably just take all the top off just above or below that trunk scar.

Maybe all the watering is further stressing it, stalling it attempting a new growth push, but it could (likely) be a goner.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 06:20:47 PM »
I will suggest you slow down the watering.  Mango can be very resilient and I have repotted some severely pot bound plants where I butchered the roots.  It had no reason to recover but it did and once it got in its strides, it did so much better than I could expect.  One thing they don't do too well with is too much water when they are not fully established.  If your soil is very sandy or drains very well, perhaps daily is not too bad.  If it isn't super draining soil, wet thoroughly, but less frequently to allow the soil dry out between watering.

If you are still seeing green under the bark, I think your tree is likely going to be OK, just careful with the water.

One last thing.  Were I in your shoes, I would have cut it back further than you did. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:52:44 AM by Orkine »

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 01:37:13 PM »
Thanks all.
Tom