Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Cold Snap this weekend for North and Central FL...

(1/7) > >>

puglvr1:
Its been so warm lately, I thought maybe the cold snaps were a thing of the past, apparently NOT!
Checked NWS (Weather underground usually slightly colder) and NWS is predicting a low of 36° for Sat night early Sun morning(wind gust as high as 20 mph) and low of 34° for Sun night early Mon. morning (around 8 mph) for me. Of course it can still change and get even colder. I won't be covering them on Sat. since they're predicting wind gusts up to 21 mph.  Waaaay too windy to cover the trees, all the covers will just blow off anyways.  I think I will cover my inground Glenn, its the closest to getting fruits since I've had this tree.

Just wanted to give a heads up for people out there that live in Central and North FL that have cold sensitive plants and trees. Most of you are lucky since you live South of me...shouldn't be an issue for you guys.

Will have to keep close tabs to see if any freeze warning will be issued tomorrow. Did I mention I HATE frosts/freezes!! >:( 

Good luck to us all...

Nancy

HMHausman:
Thanks for posting this, Nancy.  I have been lollygagging around thinking that winter is done with.  I have to adjust some of what I was planning.  Well, I guess it is still February so what did I expect.  The silver lining.....maybe some additional cold will help jolt the lychee bloom.  So far, lots of new vegetative flushes.....few bloom spikes.  :(

Harry

phantomcrab:
I've also noticed some lychees producing vegetative flushes with no blooms. Others still appear dormant.

ericalynne:
I have been dreading another cold snap and keeping thinking to take down my winter preps. My Jean Ellen mango is flowering, and the jaboticaba has been pushing out new growth of 8 -10 inches. I will be bummed if it gets really cold.  :(

Thanks for the heads up, Nancy. I was just planning a relaxing weekend....

Erica

puglvr1:
You're welcome Harry and Erica...keeping fingers crossed every thing makes it, especially the mango blooms!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version