Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387223 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #375 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
so what if i have 3 in-ground, 5 in pots, and NEED aureana (white) and a grafted grimal (if that is even possible),  I don't have a problem.  I can quit any time.  I feel bad for others who are clearly out of control  ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 07, 2014, 09:37:45 PM »
I shed a tear two weeks back when I went through the pots of the 15 or so varieties of Jab seeds I planted out didnt make it  :'( Wouldnt you know it, the only thing from that batch to come up was E dysinterica! hahahahahahasob.

Oh well, maybe having 10 Jab species planted out will be enough?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #377 on: April 07, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »
I shed a tear two weeks back when I went through the pots of the 15 or so varieties of Jab seeds I planted out didnt make it  :'( Wouldnt you know it, the only thing from that batch to come up was E dysinterica! hahahahahahasob.

Oh well, maybe having 10 Jab species planted out will be enough?

10 will be enough...until you learn about a new one!  There's so many out there that are yet to be discovered.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2014, 05:43:11 AM »
Can one of the Jabowizards out there help ID a few jablings I have? Here is the first.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2014, 05:45:04 AM »
Here is the second. It has a label as 'Rio Jaboticaba'

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2014, 05:48:02 AM »
Here is the third and final. If I remember correctly the three were originally said to be either trunciflora and or grandifolia. If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #381 on: April 08, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »
third is def grandifolia...second looks like it could be grandifolia as well...first might be trunciflora....one way to tell, is to check the new growth...grandiflora is fuzzy, trunciflora is totally hairless.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 08, 2014, 11:32:31 PM »
Ok, I consider myself a proud member of this club because I've had a seedling jaboticaba for over 10 years that hasn't ever fruited. But, I want to be a real member, I want fruit!

A few years ago, I found one at a nursery in a big pot with flowers, very pretty but not impressive and was for sale in the hundreds of dollars. Today, I've been pointed in the right direction by a reliable source, to jabo trees with flowers that are impressive and for about the same price as a few years ago, but still in the hundreds.

I'm 'gonna' try to find out a little bit more info., like what variety is it. I hope it's the 'Grimal' variety. I already have a great spot in the yard for this new jabo fruit tree addition to my fruit collection. This anticipation to get it is killing me. I feel a bit better now that I got this off my jaboticabaholic chest.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 08, 2014, 11:37:57 PM »
mike has some red jabos (precocious) that are pretty large for under $100, if i recall.  Fruiting size...i know you want fruit yesterday so this may not help....just fyi

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 09, 2014, 01:50:27 AM »
Ok, I consider myself a proud member of this club because I've had a seedling jaboticaba for over 10 years that hasn't ever fruited. But, I want to be a real member, I want fruit!

A few years ago, I found one at a nursery in a big pot with flowers, very pretty but not impressive and was for sale in the hundreds of dollars. Today, I've been pointed in the right direction by a reliable source, to jabo trees with flowers that are impressive and for about the same price as a few years ago, but still in the hundreds.

I'm 'gonna' try to find out a little bit more info., like what variety is it. I hope it's the 'Grimal' variety. I already have a great spot in the yard for this new jabo fruit tree addition to my fruit collection. This anticipation to get it is killing me. I feel a bit better now that I got this off my jaboticabaholic chest.
Mine had the same problem 10-12 year old, I took a bat to the trunk, (just one swing), pruned it heavily and 3 months later it started behaving.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 09, 2014, 07:05:35 AM »
just like the old electronics method of hitting the vcr or whatever....once just might do it, but frequently, over time, it will break for good.  Sounds you you may need to give it the old Love Tap, Leo. 
~Jeff

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 10, 2014, 02:04:06 AM »
Will try just about anything at this point.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 11, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »

Mine had the same problem 10-12 year old, I took a bat to the trunk, (just one swing), pruned it heavily and 3 months later it started behaving.
I like your attitude Mark, when my trees get older and don't flower I'll know what to do! ;) 8)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #388 on: April 13, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »
some pictures from my friends house...he's got a great collection of fruit trees...(myrciarias)

Bart Simpson would be proud of this slingshot....check out the dual scions on this grafted M. trunciflora

whole tree

a 4 yr old red jabos first fruiting...been planted for 2yrs...still less than 5ft tall...in quite a bit of shade, right underneath an oak tree.

Grimal with decent crop...not a bumper crop though.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #389 on: April 13, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
Adam: are those jabos producing fruit right now? I hope my red hybrids would bear fruit when 4 years old :-D for now they are just 10cm to 15cm tall

By the way: here we are in autumn, it's getting cold and we have 4º C min, 20º C max, would be wise to move these tiny babies indoors? I mean: they are in places were there will be no frosts in winter, but will be really cold... (1º C min, 10º C max)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #390 on: April 13, 2014, 06:43:53 PM »
Adam: are those jabos producing fruit right now? I hope my red hybrids would bear fruit when 4 years old :-D for now they are just 10cm to 15cm tall

By the way: here we are in autumn, it's getting cold and we have 4º C min, 20º C max, would be wise to move these tiny babies indoors? I mean: they are in places were there will be no frosts in winter, but will be really cold... (1º C min, 10º C max)

yes the grimal and Red are both fruiting except the grafted M. trunciflora.

if u look close at both pics of the red jaboticaba you can see fruits on the trunk.

I would recommend to protect the tree from freezing weather just to be safe...but I know they can handle a brief freeze...and might benefit from the cold weather when they are older.

in my experience with the Red jabo (sabara, grimal, trunciflora and other similar species), the cold weather strips the leaves..and exposes more light to the branches...so it will flower more, and produce more fruits.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Adam what's he doing to keep the trunc so healthy and the leaves so green?  I wish mine was like that!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2014, 08:49:42 PM »
Adam what's he doing to keep the trunc so healthy and the leaves so green?  I wish mine was like that!

nice acid pH, and well water...being in shade can help too.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
I tested my well water once with a kit and it tested neutral so I bet that's what's working against me.  Anyone else notice that their well water is neutral or even a touch alkaline?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #394 on: April 13, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »
I tested my well water once with a kit and it tested neutral so I bet that's what's working against me.  Anyone else notice that their well water is neutral or even a touch alkaline?

yes..well water ph can be variable...i notice people who have lots of sulfur  in their well water, who seem to have trouble keeping M. vexator happy...it's almost like giving M. aureana city water.....but M. vexator doesn't mind city water..at least not at my house...with chlorine so bad u can smell it.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2014, 06:53:14 PM »
It appears that I am going to have a few jabos to enjoy from a couple of grafts done a few months ago.  They are starting to ripen up and the bigger one is a bit bigger than a quarter!

Grandifolia

paulista parked on a large sabara

White, grimal, and grandifolia.  The grimal graft on the lower left was eaten back by a locust.

Another Grimal growing rampantly

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:58:33 AM by xshen »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »
very cool!

I can't see the pics though...

what variety did u graft?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 01, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
very cool!

I can't see the pics though...

what variety did u graft?

The pictures should be fixed.  The fruiting branches are from a mature sabara tree.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #398 on: May 01, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
cool beans!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 02, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
Xshen,

Nice!! It's great to see a graft flower and fruit so quickly..:) Great job!