Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 389554 times)

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #400 on: May 11, 2014, 10:28:31 PM »
I'm so envious , I want 1 of each preferably 3 of each. so many varieties out there for me to track down, I'm sure all our grandchildren will appreciate the fruits of our labour of love, even if we don't get to live long enough to see them all flower and fruit. I'm hoping my new obsession with collecting fruit trees doesn't get too bad, i'm itching to get new seed everyday now. Is this what an addiction feels like?
Russell

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 27, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
I'm well on my way to full membership on this Club. Over the weekend I traveled hundreds of miles (no kidding) to meet up with Jaboticaba Yogui-Master ASaffron. I asked for guidance from the master about a jaboticaba that I've had for well over 10 years waiting for it to fruit. Sure enough, the master gave me a new jaboticaba fruit tree which he said would fruit in about 3-4 years, and I was the wiser for my effort. Jabo Master ASaffron showed me some of his fruit trees, many had fruit on them, impressive for this time of year. The ones that made the biggest impression werer the Jaboticabas. I struggled a bit to control my amazement at the sight of these trees full of fruit. Up to then, I had only seen such things in pictures, videos, and in far off lands like Brazil. I crossed a threshold when Adam invited me to taste a Jaboticaba for the first time in my life, it was almost akin to a religious experience. There was no doubt I was in the presence of a fruit tree master. - Thanks Adam for showing me some of your wonderful fruit trees, I really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:41:01 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #402 on: May 27, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »
I'm well on my way to full membership on this Club. Over the weekend I traveled hundreds of miles (no kidding) to meet up with Jaboticaba Yogui-Master ASaffron. I asked for guidance from the master about a jaboticaba that I've had for well over 10 years waiting for it to fruit. Sure enough, the master gave me a new jaboticaba fruit tree which he said would fruit in about 3-4 years, and I was the wiser for my effort. Jabo Master ASaffron showed me some of his fruit trees, many had fruit on them, impressive for this time of year. The ones that made the biggest impression werer the Jaboticabas. I struggled a bit to control my amazement at the sight of these trees full of fruit. I crossed a threshold when Adam invited me to taste a Jaboticaba for the first time in my life, it was almost akin to a religious experience. There was no doubt I was in the presence of a fruit tree master. - Thanks Adam for showing me some of your wonderful fruit trees, I really enjoyed it.

Hahaha!

great to have met you!  Thankfully the trees are pretty much everbearing...because I had fruit available to get you hooked!

you have completed the first step of myrciaria mastery...you have recognized your addiction!

;D

PS...try growing your Red jabo in a pot for the next 2-3 yrs...they will usuallyl fruit much faster that way.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 27, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
I'm well on my way to full membership on this Club. Over the weekend I traveled hundreds of miles (no kidding) to meet up with Jaboticaba Yogui-Master ASaffron. I asked for guidance from the master about a jaboticaba that I've had for well over 10 years waiting for it to fruit. Sure enough, the master gave me a new jaboticaba fruit tree which he said would fruit in about 3-4 years, and I was the wiser for my effort. Jabo Master ASaffron showed me some of his fruit trees, many had fruit on them, impressive for this time of year. The ones that made the biggest impression werer the Jaboticabas. I struggled a bit to control my amazement at the sight of these trees full of fruit. Up to then, I had only seen such things in pictures, videos, and in far off lands like Brazil. I crossed a threshold when Adam invited me to taste a Jaboticaba for the first time in my life, it was almost akin to a religious experience. There was no doubt I was in the presence of a fruit tree master. - Thanks Adam for showing me some of your wonderful fruit trees, I really enjoyed it.
LEOOEL, I wish I knew you were going up there, I would of carpooled with you!
Joe

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:17 AM »
I'm well on my way to full membership on this Club. Over the weekend I traveled hundreds of miles (no kidding) to meet up with Jaboticaba Yogui-Master ASaffron. I asked for guidance from the master about a jaboticaba that I've had for well over 10 years waiting for it to fruit. Sure enough, the master gave me a new jaboticaba fruit tree which he said would fruit in about 3-4 years, and I was the wiser for my effort. Jabo Master ASaffron showed me some of his fruit trees, many had fruit on them, impressive for this time of year. The ones that made the biggest impression werer the Jaboticabas. I struggled a bit to control my amazement at the sight of these trees full of fruit. I crossed a threshold when Adam invited me to taste a Jaboticaba for the first time in my life, it was almost akin to a religious experience. There was no doubt I was in the presence of a fruit tree master. - Thanks Adam for showing me some of your wonderful fruit trees, I really enjoyed it.

Hahaha!

great to have met you!  Thankfully the trees are pretty much everbearing...because I had fruit available to get you hooked!

you have completed the first step of myrciaria mastery...you have recognized your addiction!

;D

PS...try growing your Red jabo in a pot for the next 2-3 yrs...they will usuallyl fruit much faster that way.

any idea how much longer if growing reds in-ground?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 28, 2014, 07:22:29 AM »
I have a few questions for perhaps the Master of Myrciaria, the King of Cauliflory, the Sultan of Sabara, the Prince of Plinia. Maybe a warm up series of questions needing just quick answers, before hitting the stage and being called back for multiple encores would help.

Is the scarlet/scarlet a cross between white and red hybrid?
Why do my coronata restingia and common cornonata seedlings look so different?
Are the fruit of M.oblongata sour?
Does M.grandiflora take a long time to reach fruiting age?
Is M.quaquieba a worthwhile species to grow as I have a few seedlings?
Should the seedlings of different white jaboticaba varieties look really different from each other?
Is it normal for M.trunciflora to be really slow growing?

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 28, 2014, 08:00:41 AM »
Regarding your last question Mike - and the only one I can answer (not being the Master of Myrciaria, the King of Cauliflory, the Sultan of Sabara nor the Prince of Plinia); my M. trunciflora have been amongst the quickest growing Myrciaria spp. I have had. Got seeds from Carlos V 7-9 years back or so and were amazed about the speed, as Myrciaria spp. are usually consider 'slow'. Can imagine parent ecotype, soil, humidity, shade/sun exposure, fertilizing etc. and more of that did play a big role in it, but I actually neglected them a bit so its not because of my caretaking.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
Soren thanks for that and it is the same source as my seeds about a year ago, Have yours fruited yet?
Altogether I have had seeds of 6 varieties of trunciflora but only one sprouted that did not have a variety specified.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
Soren thanks for that and it is the same source as my seeds about a year ago, Have yours fruited yet?
Altogether I have had seeds of 6 varieties of trunciflora but only one sprouted that did not have a variety specified.

No - mine are in pots and still neglected, but age-wise they should be close to fruiting age...
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #409 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
I have a few questions for perhaps the Master of Myrciaria, the King of Cauliflory, the Sultan of Sabara, the Prince of Plinia. Maybe a warm up series of questions needing just quick answers, before hitting the stage and being called back for multiple encores would help.

Should the seedlings of different white jaboticaba varieties look really different from each other?

yes, I hear it is basically a hybrid of the hybrid. I believe the components are the Red (hybrid) and the white.

there are so many variations of this species it's amazing (something like M. cauliflora)...hopefully it's just this species exhibiting it's vast diversity, not just some mislabeled seeds.

Never tasted, but hear it has some good acidity....(much like some of the more acid types of M. cauliflora, where they use fruit for juices and processing...not so much eating out of hand)

yes I believe so...a bit longer than the common Sabara....but not as long as coronata or trunciflora...but I can't be for sure...I don't have any fruiting trees yet....but maybe this is a testament to it's non-precocity...I have seen some trees about 7-8yrs old...no fruit yet.

You mean M. guaquiea?  Yes I think it's worthwhile, but may not be an easy species to grow for those who struggle with high pH, or only have city water...I'm still testing this species...grows super slow....looks sensitive...but time will tell...the fruit is supposed to be great.

I have noticed a great deal of variation within this species, even from seeds planted from the same batch, same source.

this species actually grows somewhat swiftly (when it's growing)...faster than Sabara in my opinion....putting on long 2ft shoots during spring and summer.....but man this tree gets tall!  and takes forever to fruit....over 15 yrs is what it took for a few growers in FL...despite the trees being very happy.....on a side note...try breaking some branches of this species with your hands....the wood is very brittle compared to sabara, or M. cauliflora...(and other similar species)...the species with brittle wood seem to enjoy some shade and wind protection.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #410 on: May 28, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
depends on soil pH (water pH), lighting, your cultural care, and if the seedling is an early bloomer..

some just take longer....like people maturing.

anywhere between 2.5-6 yrs...maybe longer if you have poor growing conditions.

Hahaha!

;D

any idea how much longer if growing reds in-ground?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 28, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
Not sure the best way to word this but here goes:

What types of jaboticaba have you encountered that have  adifferent growth habit than red hybrid or sabara.  I am especially interested in the growth habit of coronata, aureana, and Grimal varieties. 

Also, can coronata take a little shade, especially when young (a la jackfruit) until it grows up into the sun.  I want to plant one of my coronatas (crown 3) a few feet back from a fence with passionfruit on it so it'll be shaded a little until it reaches about 3-4 feet (2 feet now in a 3 gallon)

Thanks.  Hope that wasn't too confusing.  Every time I get "caught up" with your JA meetings, it seems like you have more species that I haven't heard of before.  Started with sabara and hybrid red, then grimal and crown, you really keep them coming!  FL just may be running amok with jabos in 20-30 years 8)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #412 on: May 28, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
Not sure the best way to word this but here goes:

What types of jaboticaba have you encountered that have  adifferent growth habit than red hybrid or sabara.  I am especially interested in the growth habit of coronata, aureana, and Grimal varieties. 

Also, can coronata take a little shade, especially when young (a la jackfruit) until it grows up into the sun.  I want to plant one of my coronatas (crown 3) a few feet back from a fence with passionfruit on it so it'll be shaded a little until it reaches about 3-4 feet (2 feet now in a 3 gallon)

Thanks.  Hope that wasn't too confusing.  Every time I get "caught up" with your JA meetings, it seems like you have more species that I haven't heard of before.  Started with sabara and hybrid red, then grimal and crown, you really keep them coming!  FL just may be running amok with jabos in 20-30 years 8)

not sure what u mean by different growth habits...they each seem to have unique growth habits...while all being some what similar....there are too many varieties and variations to compare them all briefly.

most all of the jaboticabas can take shade...that is why they are so great...off hand, I can't think of one that demands full sun...but seems like full sun is best for maximum production on some varieties...not all of them though.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 28, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
Adam thanks for the answers, you truly are a Prince.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #414 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »

M. guaquiquea is very similar fruit to cabelluda (yellow jaboticaba) M. glazioviana. Just that guaquiquea has larger fruit. This is what i heard from nursery in Brazil.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 29, 2014, 10:02:30 PM »
LEOOEL, I wish I knew you were going up there, I would of carpooled with you!

I'll let you know beforehand the next time I head up there.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
Any of you guys ever taste a crown1? if so how is it? I just picked up one today DIRT CHEAP!
Joe

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 03, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »
It's my understanding that crown is M. coronata.  I have 1, 2, and 3 but haven't tasted them yet.  I think Adam has a thread on coronata and maybe even info on his website
~Jeff

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 03, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
Cut back my Paulista months ago as suggested, sorta like Oscar did.  Now I have buds all over the tree, especially where I cut off a limb division.

Now, that the experts are aboard...I have a Myrciaria jaboticaba - Jabuticaba capirinha from a fellow in Brazil.  One seed sprouted, totally different from all others I have sprouted (every one that Oscar offers).  The cotyledons are huge, and so far the single leaf is different from those I have seen and grown.  So....anybody familiar with Jabuticaba caipirinha or capirinha?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #419 on: June 03, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »
jack

I have some of these caipirinhas...they dont appreciate high pH or city water

supposedly just like sabara, but smaller, and has small leaves....very sweet...good for bonsai and container culture.

mine are making a slow comeback...leaves are very small.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 04, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »
never heard of caipirinha, that sounds like one to add to the list
- David Antonio Garcia

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 04, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »
Thanks Adam... I wasn't sure if these were a true variety or not.  Guess so.

Thanks for info on pruning as I really slashed my big fruited Paulista and am now seeing little buds pushing all over.  That's more than I have ever had before.  And...this is the first year since slashing.  Looks like my other jaboticabas will be undergoing the same torture treatment. Another question: is that cruel treatment as effective on the other varieties of Jaboticaba?

Jack

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #422 on: June 04, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
Thanks Adam... I wasn't sure if these were a true variety or not.  Guess so.

Thanks for info on pruning as I really slashed my big fruited Paulista and am now seeing little buds pushing all over.  That's more than I have ever had before.  And...this is the first year since slashing.  Looks like my other jaboticabas will be undergoing the same torture treatment. Another question: is that cruel treatment as effective on the other varieties of Jaboticaba?

Jack

Jack....

not all Myrciaria/Plinia species benefit from such pruning....M. cauliflora, M. jaboticaba, M. aureana, M. coronata (these are some that should benefit from some pruning, to encourage old wood to get more light...and there are others that can be pruned)

but M. vexator, P. edulis, P. rivularis, M. glazioviana, M. strigipes, M. guaquiea, and others that don't fruit heavily on the caulis, will not benefit from pruning.

check out this Myrciaria species, (I haven't been able to identify)...it just fruited for the first time (in deep shade)....makes small black fruit...thicker pulp, with an acidic taste...(not much of a seed, but I only ate one fruit)...I really enjoyed this one.  I've never really had an acid tasting jaboticaba....the flavor was intense! 

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 04, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
Adam, the grafted Grimal I bought a while back from you has plenty of new leaves ... would you say Grimal prefers sun or shade? It gets filtered light.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #424 on: June 04, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »
Adam, the grafted Grimal I bought a while back from you has plenty of new leaves ... would you say Grimal prefers sun or shade? It gets filtered light.

Full sun!

seems to actually enjoy city water!!!

doesn't enjoy excessive humidity or standing water (but doesn't mind a flood if grafted on sabara)....but can endure both...although foliage and fruits can be cosmetically affected by rust.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk