Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387479 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #600 on: March 01, 2015, 12:46:57 AM »
Saw CBS_Davie jabos (along with his other amazing trees) and think I will give pot growing a go since my soil ph is so high. Is there a way to know when they are ready to move up a pot size? What signs do you like for or just move up yearly?

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 01, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »
"nice pics...is your tree in ground, or in a pot?
and is it in mostly shade or mostly sun?
have you pruned it ever?"

Thanks. Tree in ground for about 15 years. Mostly shade. Up against SE corner of my house.  Huge Live Oak grows over it.  Only time I prune it is to stop it from touching the roof line. 

I use wood ash (sparingly from my fire pit) and tons of oak leaf mulch. Only water it with captured rain water.  I've got 3 trees that are producing. Some smaller reds/whites that are still young. 

My advice on growing jaboticaba is basically the same mentioned. Low PH, especially the water source.  Heavy mulch. Never let dry out.    I'm thinking jaboticaba don't like nematodes as the only success I've had is close to the house foundation.  They die a slow death further away. 

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 01, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 01, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »
First photo you can see it growing over the roof line. I cut it back so it doesn't hit the roof in wind storms.  I've encouraged it to grow away from the house as best as possible. 

2nd photo is fruit from January bloom.

3rd photo pulled back shot.  Rain water from the roof channels into this corner of the back patio.  I got a pond and use buckets to capture the water and use it when it doesn't rain.

4th photo, detail showing the girth of the trunk.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 01, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »
First photo you can also see the Live Oak that towers over my house.  It gets maybe 2-3 hours direct sunlight. Basically shifting shade the other time.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 01, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »
How long do Jabo's hold on to the fruit ?

Im sure most people pick them as soon as they are ripe
but, if you happen to have a few large trees with a  lot of fruit
(not that i will  have that problem any time soon mind you)
it would be good to know they will keep on the tree for a while

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #606 on: March 01, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
How long do Jabo's hold on to the fruit ?

Im sure most people pick them as soon as they are ripe
but, if you happen to have a few large trees with a  lot of fruit
(not that i will  have that problem any time soon mind you)
it would be good to know they will keep on the tree for a while

depends on species or variety!

sabara can hold for a while, but u cant'really eat them when they first turn black!

they need to turn black, then hang on the tree for a few days or more...then they get a bit rubbery, and soft...this is when they're ready to eat...

but to be honest, it seems like the longer they sit on the tree,(without being molested by wildlife, mind you) the fruits develop a sweeter smoother pulp...up until the inevitable point, when they turn to wine.

the red jaboticaba is unique because it can be eaten at several stages...when partially green (it is tart, and a bit fibrous, but still good if you want to beat the birds)....or when fully red...when the fruit is quite sweet and tart, the skin is thicker when you chew, but comparable to sabara.....or finally when super ripe...the fruits turn a very deep wine red (or purple...not black), and become extremely rubber/soft to the touch...the pulp on the inside is silky smooth, and very succulent...the flavor is so sweet it's incredible...when you juice the fruit at this phase, it's too sweet to drink by itself..i found that it must be cut in half with water, or even use 1/4th juice and 3/4 water...and it will still be sufficiently sweet.

typically the fruits with thicker skins..like M. vexator, M.glazioviana, and P. edulis....can sit on the tree much longer than Sabara, trunciflora, red jabo, and others which are similar.....then you have those like the Grimal, which are in between, having a nice thick skin, that can really hang on the tree even longer than Sabara, but not as long as glazioviana....

the diversity is astounding!  I only have experience with a fraction of what's out there in the world.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:16:11 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 02, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »
Adam, youre not being fair to yourself, you are the closest thing the US has to a jaboticaba research station
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #608 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:04 AM »
Adam, youre not being fair to yourself, you are the closest thing the US has to a jaboticaba research station

thanks David.

I do believe my collection of Myrciaira/Plinia is one of the largest, if not the most extensive in the world (outside of Brazil...of course the most diversity is in the collections down there...but I've had collectors in Brazil contact me for seeds  :P)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 02, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
The jabo at Grimal is blooming now, Patrick says its the biggest bloom he has seen on it yet, and way more than when it would bloom before they cleared it out.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #610 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:27 AM »
The jabo at Grimal is blooming now, Patrick says its the biggest bloom he has seen on it yet, and way more than when it would bloom before they cleared it out.

haha that is great news...

did you have lots of rain down there this year??

that will help too!

I bet he's been showing it some extra attention too...I think he's learned a lot about the tree...and the value of it's seeds.... :D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 02, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »
I need to post a picture of the M. grandifolia I got from you, it flushing at the moment and the new leaves look so cool
- David Antonio Garcia

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 02, 2015, 12:07:32 PM »

that will help too!

I bet he's been showing it some extra attention too...I think he's learned a lot about the tree...and the value of it's seeds.... :D

not a lot of rain, but they do water all the trees now.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #613 on: March 02, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
I need to post a picture of the M. grandifolia I got from you, it flushing at the moment and the new leaves look so cool

for sure!

btw..is that one in ground? or in pot?

I believe it's somewhat sensitive to pH, like white jaboticaba.

also...I didn't realize until the whole confusion with M. spirito-sanctensis and the Grimal (Myrciaria sp., also known as Peluda de Alagoas)....that M. spirito-sanctensis is closely related to M. aurena, M. grandifolia, and M. phitrantha (and probably a few more species I'm ignorant of)...they are part of a species complex. 

(and The Grimal is not part of this group.)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #614 on: March 02, 2015, 12:10:59 PM »
thanks for the info!

that makes sense.

If you can take some pics please do!!

or maybe we can convince Patrick to take some??

that will help too!

not a lot of rain, but they do water all the trees now.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 02, 2015, 12:19:15 PM »
I will on Friday when I'm there with my wife's class.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 02, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
I planted it in the ground a couple months ago, its on an elevated mound with alot of compost.

My in ground collection (stuff ive mostly gotten from you) include Coronata var. restinga, grandfolia, a different Coronata, 2 paulista, 2 cambuca,1 yellow, sabra, 2 white, a grimal, and two reds.
- David Antonio Garcia

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 02, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
My Grimal and a couple other things I planted near it look awful and I finally figure out why. I was so afraid of PH issues that I replaced like 75% of the native soil with compost and that compost degraded to basically sand so it holds like zero water and takes forever to rehydrate
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #618 on: March 02, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »
keep me posted, I'm curious to see how your grandifolia holds up in the redlands soil!

i notice when we have lots of rain, even the plants that are in high pH soil can start to look happy...especially during spring...when temps are not as high, and the plants are not metabolizing as fast.

when the heat picks up in June, then you really start to see nutritional deficiencies, and sun burnt leaves.  Especially if we have a drought!!

I planted it in the ground a couple months ago, its on an elevated mound with alot of compost.

My in ground collection (stuff ive mostly gotten from you) include Coronata var. restinga, grandfolia, a different Coronata, 2 paulista, 2 cambuca,1 yellow, sabra, 2 white, a grimal, and two reds.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 03, 2015, 12:01:33 AM »
Drought is definitely one of Jabos major enemies
- David Antonio Garcia

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 04, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
Since I got her at Benders, she dropped a bunch of leaves, guessing from the cold. Still debating on where to plant her or keep her in pot, need to do a bunch more research and questions till I decide as my soil is very alkaline.  So either gotta figure out how to bring it down enough to keep her happy. Watering is not a problem as where I plan to plant her has a hose feet away.  I noticed today a BUNCH of new growth, and some peeling on the main barks (not sure if that means a good thing or bad thing) What is the expected final container size for a mature Red Jabo and how often does it need to be repotted once mature? At what point would you attack it with the shears to prune it? Wait for this growth to fully flush before nipping branches?

So in the matter of a week !!!!! Looks much better now! She is full of leaves and more coming.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 04, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »
Glad to see how quickly that one turned around for you. It gives me hope for mine that was dropping leaves all over the place as I was loading it in the car.
Dom

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #622 on: March 04, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »
Glad to see how quickly that one turned around for you. It gives me hope for mine that was dropping leaves all over the place as I was loading it in the car.

This time of year they shed leaves.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 04, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »
Was at a local nursery and forgot to take pictures of a nice Jabo with a Zills tag on it. Was in a big container going for $250. Was tempted, but have appointment at Excalibur Saturday lol  If the right Jabo presents itself might walk out of Excalibur with another Jabo.  But yeah Dom, this Jabo was looking pretty leafless not even 2 weeks ago. Kept watering every third day or so depending on rains and she seems happy.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #624 on: March 04, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
Was at a local nursery and forgot to take pictures of a nice Jabo with a Zills tag on it. Was in a big container going for $250. Was tempted, but have appointment at Excalibur Saturday lol  If the right Jabo presents itself might walk out of Excalibur with another Jabo.  But yeah Dom, this Jabo was looking pretty leafless not even 2 weeks ago. Kept watering every third day or so depending on rains and she seems happy.

Probably a 25 gal Sabara...I have them available here in a 15 gal, but probably almost as big as the tree you saw, for $150

The trees are about 6-7ft tall, and beautiful...ready to fruit this year if u r lucky(or maybe 2 yrs max)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com