Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387476 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1050 on: November 15, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »
definitely not red jabo, looks exactly like my coronata (I suppose one of the most common forms)
Well it's very beautifull!  ;D

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1051 on: November 15, 2015, 12:20:41 PM »
definitely not red jabo, looks exactly like my coronata (I suppose one of the most common forms)

my trees seem to enjoy a bit of shade...I put them in full sun, and it burned the leaves.

I hear this tree can get very tall, and takes a long time to fruit.

But the fruits are large and delicious
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 15, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »

my trees seem to enjoy a bit of shade...I put them in full sun, and it burned the leaves.

I hear this tree can get very tall, and takes a long time to fruit.

But the fruits are large and delicious
Mine is in shade of a big olive tree, very happy, she loves a lot of whater and stands very well our frosts. Last year we get several frost days of -3C.

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 15, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »
This is a plant that Miguel gave me 2 years ago... as a suposed red-hibrid jabotibaba.  :)
Another two pics more near...

M. trunciflora ... jabuticaba-de-cabinho

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 15, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »
Olá Miguel! I don't think so, because it's totaly diferent from the jaboticaba-de-cabinho you gave me, and totaly diferent from the J.sabará i have... i will post pics of this ones too...  :)  Any way it's a great beautifull tree!  ;D

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1055 on: November 15, 2015, 10:09:14 PM »
Olá Miguel! I don't think so, because it's totaly diferent from the jaboticaba-de-cabinho you gave me, and totaly diferent from the J.sabará i have... i will post pics of this ones too...  :)  Any way it's a great beautifull tree!  ;D

Luisport your tree has new growth that is slightly pubescent, the new growth of trunciflora is hairless
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 16, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
One of my Jaboticaba grimal sedlings

my jaboticaba sabara

my jaboticaba de cabinho

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 16, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
Hello friends
Jabuticaba could identify this for me?
I do not remember where I got this tree, it has hair, and does not grow very slowly, is growing as I like, wild.
I never paid much attention to jaboticabas because this plant in my region is spontaneous, cultivate it so?
Now I participate in the forum, I have seen that is an important tree.
Thanks

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1058 on: November 16, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
The first species that comes to mind is phitrantha....but I could easily be mistaken.

It's very difficult to positively identify some of these rare myrciarias by just looking at photos of immature plants.

Hello friends
I do not remember where I got this tree, it has hair, and does not grow very slowly, is growing as I like, wild.
I never paid much attention to jaboticabas because this plant in my region is spontaneous, cultivate it so?
Thanks

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 16, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »
If this jabuticaba will be great.
I've been very careless with my collection of trees, I have many trees that I need to bear fruit to be sure.
A tip I give to anyone who wants to start cultivating:
Write down everything, shoot everything, our head failure.
I think I live in Jaboticabaland, each place has a different jaboticaba, I will get to see the trees from neighbors with new eyes, can have different trees and different trees = $$$, LOL

The first species that comes to mind is phitrantha....but I could easily be mistaken.

It's very difficult to positively identify some of these rare myrciarias by just looking at photos of immature plants.

Hello friends
Thanks

Facebook
Alexandre Neles

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1060 on: November 16, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
You are in jaboticabaland for sure!

I think you can discover lots of hidden treasure.

As for growing tips, I do not think you will need much advice...most of these species will love your natural growing conditions...my only suggestion is to fertilize them, but not excessively...it seems like high amounts of nitrogen can kill a small tree easily....or too much nitrogen can promote vegetative growth, while inhibiting reproductive growth.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: November 16, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
My last ones... Blue jaboticaba seedling

White jaboticaba

guaquica seedling

sabara seedling

Cambuci seedling

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:25:58 AM by Luisport »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: November 16, 2015, 11:03:15 AM »

Luisport your tree has new growth that is slightly pubescent, the new growth of trunciflora is hairless
Yes i can confirm it, it has hairs on leaves. Thank's!  ;D

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1063 on: November 16, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »
you have a great collection already Luis!

some of the trees you posted earlier look very interesting...I couldn't identify them readily.

you never know what you might find...I'd say you are in a great place for collecting these species...the motherland, of the motherland of jaboticabas!

My last ones... Blue jaboticaba seedling

White jaboticaba

guaquica seedling

sabara seedling

Cambuci seedling

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: November 16, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
LOL! Yes, and the best thing is that they can be planted in the ground and stand our winter very well without protection!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:26:35 AM by Luisport »

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: November 16, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »
I really like the behavior of the M.guaquiea, upright and "robust" (yeah, not really but in comparison to red jabo who struggles to bear its leaf without bending to the ground) , and not that slow-growing either. Too bad there isn't much info on it, only place I've found anything is in "Brazilian Trees vol.3". Anyone here who've tasted the fruit?

How old is your Luis?

Mine is probably 8-10 months by now.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:52:22 AM by jackedfruit »

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: November 16, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
Here is my tree of guaquica, I think she has three years that this planted on this site.
In October was flowers.
Look at the picture, as I like and the trees look like, wild place without much care.
The fruit has a transparent pulp, like glazoviana Myrciaria, however has greater amount of pulp and very sweet. When you bite into the fruit it explodes in your mouth.

I really like the behavior of the M.guaquiea, upright and "robust" (yeah, not really but in comparison to red jabo how struggles to bear its leaf without bending to the ground) , and not that slow-growing either. Too bad there isn't much info on it, only place I've found anything is in "Brazilian Trees vol.3". Anyone here who've tasted the fruit?

How old is your Luis?

Mine is probably 8-10 months by now.

Facebook
Alexandre Neles

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1067 on: November 16, 2015, 12:02:43 PM »
jackedfruit, nelesedulis,

those plants are looking really good.

i have a pair that i grafted onto M. glazioviana...they are very happy...I only grafted them about 1yr ago, and I just put them in 15 gal pots the other day.

this species is nice because it is precocious.

it's supposed to be just like strigipes, and glazioviana....but has more edible portion than glazioviana.

once you collect glazioviana, strigipes, and guaquiea...the next step is to find the true Myrciaria glomerata!

it's very rare...looks just like the others in this species complex, but it has red fruits!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 16, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »
WOW! Nelesedulis your guaquica is big! Very beautifull tree! Mine is almost one year old i think.  ;)

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 16, 2015, 12:29:17 PM »

The fruit has a transparent pulp, like glazoviana Myrciaria, however has greater amount of pulp and very sweet. When you bite into the fruit it explodes in your mouth.

it's supposed to be just like strigipes, and glazioviana....but has more edible portion than glazioviana.

once you collect glazioviana, strigipes, and guaquiea...the next step is to find the true Myrciaria glomerata!

it's very rare...looks just like the others in this species complex, but it has red fruits!

Very sweet, better seed:pulp ratio than glazioviana and precocious, sound like it could be a real winner.

Btw nelsedulis all your trees look crazy good, growing plants in their native soil/climate must be such a thrill. Which one of glazioviana and guaquiea do you prefer? Which one seems the most productive?

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 16, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
Between guaquica and M. glazioviana?
Guaquica is better, save more pleasant, and does not have what I hate about glazoviana, forget and bite the bark ....... is almost equal drinking perfume, bad taste.
On the appearance of the trees, just clean the area with a hoe, fertilizer with manure, coffee straw, that photo to see some of my coffee trees, 2 x 150 g for years, NPK 05.20.20, without irrigation because I have 1490 mm of rainfall a year.
In this way the plants grow more naturally, soon intend to take NPK, I will use only organic fertilizer.

Very sweet, better seed:pulp ratio than glazioviana and precocious, sound like it could be a real winner.

Btw nelsedulis all your trees look crazy good, growing plants in their native soil/climate must be such a thrill. Which one of glazioviana and guaquiea do you prefer? Which one seems the most productive?
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 16, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
Adan
Answer me a question:
Helton ranks jabuticabas as plinias, the difference between Plinia and Myrciaria?

Thank you
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1072 on: November 16, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Adan
Answer me a question:
Helton ranks jabuticabas as plinias, the difference between Plinia and Myrciaria?

Thank you

I don't think there is much of a difference...and I don't know why some people refuse to use the name Myrciaria....and why some are classified as Plinia (even by those who categorize some as Myrciaria).

but I personally think some of the Myrciarias (like glazioviana, guaquiea, strigipes, and glomerata) should have their own genus.  They are much different than Sabara and it's close relatives (M. cauliflora, coronata, trunciflora, oblongata, etc)

also, Plinia edulis, Plinia rivularis, Mulchi (Plinia sp.), and Myrciaria vexator seem to belong to a separate group....

all i can say is...it's really confusing!  and probably will require genetic profiling to have a definitive answer...

Eugenia, Plinia, and Myrciaria are all closely related...and difficult for a layman to distinguish taxonomically.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: November 16, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
Don't I know it!!

and many others over the years.

Taxonomy can be fun, though.

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1074 on: November 17, 2015, 05:06:42 AM »
This is a plant that Miguel gave me 2 years ago... as a suposed red-hibrid jabotibaba.  :)
Another two pics more near...

Luis, I have a grafted coroada da restinga that has the same appearance... I´ll try to upload photos later. ;)

Guaquica is better, save more pleasant, and does not have what I hate about glazoviana, forget and bite the bark ....... is almost equal drinking perfume, bad taste.

Alexandre, I never saw a Gaquica closely, but I saw dozens of cabeludinhas, which has good taste but little pulp. I have a small ubanaxica (strigipes) but not fruiting yet.
Talking about differences... I know the tree of Guaquica grows taller, while Cabeludinha and Ubanaxica looks almost equal, just the leafs are a bit different and, while cabeludinha has a hairy skin, ubanaxica has a plain skin. I also read that ubanaxica has a bigger amount of pulp, so, this is the reason why I chose her.
Do you know the ubanaxica? Can you tell me the difference between ubanaxica and Guaquica fruits?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:18:50 AM by Cassio »