Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 391004 times)

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1150 on: January 27, 2016, 09:49:49 AM »
The other day Matt, Berto and I went out to the FGCU Food Forest to meet some of the new students that would be taking care of the place and give them some pointers on pruning and other general plant care stuff.

They've got a few sabara there in a woefully unpruned state, and I started picking a few dead branches off by hand, and mentioned to Berto that it could use a good pruning. So he picks up some pruners and before the students realize what he's doing, he's got a good half dozen branches off, and the students are all wide-eyed and worried "Wait, wait, what is he doing?" So he goes through and explains the what and why of Plinia pruning, snipping off branches left and right, as the students visibly cringe with every clip of the pruners. This was a few weeks ago and I'm still chuckling about it every time I see a jaboticaba that needs pruning.
Dom

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 31, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
I've got two red jaboticaba that are looking sad and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what they're lacking. All three had been given a good few handfulls of cottonseed meal about 2-3mos ago. The two sad ones are ub an area that I turned a good few inches of compost in before planting, and mulched heavily, the happier one is in a bed that had been very heavily amended with compost, heavily mulched, and had been that way for a good 2yrs before the jabo was planted there.

The happier one is also shaded from about 1pm on, and protected from the cold, whereas the sad two are full sun most of the day, and less protected from wind and cold.

Have I just been slacking on Fe application? Thanks.

Dom

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #1152 on: January 31, 2016, 11:58:13 AM »
If this was in my yard, I would do some chelated iron. If I am making the effort, I always throw in the other micro elements I have on hand as well, magnesium, manganese, and zinc. 

I've got two red jaboticaba that are looking sad and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what they're lacking. All three had been given a good few handfulls of cottonseed meal about 2-3mos ago. The two sad ones are ub an area that I turned a good few inches of compost in before planting, and mulched heavily, the happier one is in a bed that had been very heavily amended with compost, heavily mulched, and had been that way for a good 2yrs before the jabo was planted there.

The happier one is also shaded from about 1pm on, and protected from the cold, whereas the sad two are full sun most of the day, and less protected from wind and cold.

Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1153 on: January 31, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
good advice from Brandon, your trees will respond very well to some chelated Fe, and if needed, some micros.

although this time of year foliage can look drab, regardless of nutritional regimen.

If this was in my yard, I would do some chelated iron. If I am making the effort, I always throw in the other micro elements I have on hand as well, magnesium, manganese, and zinc. 

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 31, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »
Excellent, thanks fellas.
Dom

fourseasonsflorida

• Where the subtropical and temperate meet...
    • USA, Florida, Titusville, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: February 05, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
Similar question:
I have a small potted Coronata that had a couple nice flushes of leaves over the past few months.  New leaves are twice the size as the old ones and it seems happy overall.  However, the new leaves are a lighter green with pronounced dark green veins. 

What do you all think?  Chelated Iron? Micros? Nitrogen? More acidic soil? A little of everything?

Nate

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 05, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »
Put it in a 25 gallon pot full of ProMix and watch it take off. Use Diamond-R 8-4-8 fertilizer with micronutrients also with the iron. Your soil may be way too alkaline for the hybrid.
'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

fourseasonsflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 05, 2016, 03:22:09 PM »
Put it in a 25 gallon pot full of ProMix and watch it take off. Use Diamond-R 8-4-8 fertilizer with micronutrients also with the iron. Your soil may be way too alkaline for the hybrid.

LOL! It's only in a one gallon pot at the moment and isn't ready to pot up, but I'll keep an eye out for Pro Mix.  Anyone in the Orlando area know where I can get Pro Mix around here?  Walmart and Lowes have it online, but not in any stores in my area.  Also will see if I can find Diamond-R.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:31:30 PM by fourseasonsflorida »
Nate

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1158 on: February 05, 2016, 03:33:52 PM »
if you are using city water, it's probably not your soil, but your water.

regardless, the easiest solution is to drench with chelated Fe.

LOL! It's only in a one gallon pot at the moment and isn't ready to pot up, but I'll keep an eye out for Pro Mix.  Anyone in the Orlando area know where I can get Pro Mix around here?  Walmart and Lowes have it online, but not in any stores in my area.  Also will see if I can find Diamond-R.  Thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #1159 on: February 05, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
You can get promix soil at urban sunshine http://www.urbansunshine.com/ there is a location near where you are

fourseasonsflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 05, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
Thanks, buddy - called Urban Sunshine and they have both HP and BX.  Sounds like Pro Mix is considered a "soil-less" medium and doesn't really have any nutritional value in it.  So, if I go with it, I will need to fertilize right off the bat.  Suspect chelated Fe is the key here as Adam suggests.
Nate

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 18, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »
Hi, my name is Joe and I am a Jaboticabaholic. I recently went on a bender and got seven Jaboticaba trees and started dozens of seeds. My living room is starting to resemble a Minas Gerais forest with all the trees standing around waiting to go outside. Yesterday my order of Jaboticaba fruit arrived and I could not resist posing the fruit on my Sabara tree to pretend I grew them myself. I need help, fast!

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 19, 2016, 01:26:04 AM »
When grafting jaboticabas, I learned that it is OK to get a little greedy and graft much bigger and longer scions that are already fruiting. Here is a thumb size scion over 20 inches long and another one over a foot long with the similar diameter. They're both done with whip grafts this past winter which took about six weeks to push.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:33:09 AM by xshen »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 19, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »
Xue, I'm impressed Wow, I know Adam has always said that bigger scion size is better but man I would have never thought that such a long piece of scion wood would take :oConcrats ;)

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: March 19, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
So it got cold on and off for a while after I'd posted this, I had no fruit set, and I figured flowering was done even though there were some small flower buds on there. Now that it has warmed back up, it seems like it has picked up where it left off.

My Grimal is putting out its first flowers now. Approx 4.5 ft tall. Giggity!

Dom

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 19, 2016, 09:03:30 PM »
Hi everyone, what variety of jaboticaba is this?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 25, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »
Hey Adam, I got my first flower on my seedling grown hybrid Jaboticaba. I believe it's about 3-4 years old. I doubt it will hold any fruit but at least I got my first flower!

Simon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1167 on: March 25, 2016, 06:42:40 PM »
Hey Adam, I got my first flower on my seedling grown hybrid Jaboticaba. I believe it's about 3-4 years old. I doubt it will hold any fruit but at least I got my first flower!

Simon

Congrats !  Hope u get fruit set... It's definitely possible
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 27, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
i finally put my jabo in ground a couple of weeks ago.
got this from PIN 2 years ago.
i had been debating on where to put it. - front lawn, near the front door ... LOL

i may have made a mistake though with water.
it hasnt gotten hot yet, and its been raining regularly
and still the other day a few leaves started drying up  :(

i had added some compost in the hole under the plant
which raised it a bit above soil level.
i am used to trying to give plants good drainage, and know whenever i add compost under a plant
in a few months it sags down an inch or 2.

but now the plant is drying up too easy.
i may have to water it every other day during 95F temps

these flowers even dried up...

===

this is the red i got from Adam several months ago
its looking very healthy.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:16:24 PM by greenman62 »

kar1ma3

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: March 29, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
M. cauliflora sabara flowers

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1170 on: March 30, 2016, 01:05:44 PM »
i believe adding compost under your plant when planting was the mistake.

sounds like the compost drains too fast, and lacks water retaining qualities.

forget about good drainage...they can sit in water for weeks with no problem

i finally put my jabo in ground a couple of weeks ago.
got this from PIN 2 years ago.
i had been debating on where to put it. - front lawn, near the front door ... LOL

i may have made a mistake though with water.
it hasnt gotten hot yet, and its been raining regularly
and still the other day a few leaves started drying up  :(

i had added some compost in the hole under the plant
which raised it a bit above soil level.
i am used to trying to give plants good drainage, and know whenever i add compost under a plant
in a few months it sags down an inch or 2.

but now the plant is drying up too easy.
i may have to water it every other day during 95F temps

these flowers even dried up...

===

this is the red i got from Adam several months ago
its looking very healthy.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1171 on: March 31, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »
These are news that will make the jaboticabaholics to go crazy.... Not all of the jabo vars have fotos, but it will pick your attention for sure.
Adhemar is the site owner: http://www.frutasraras.com/buscar?q=jabuticaba

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1172 on: April 21, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #1173 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:37 AM »
Adan
Answer me a question:
Helton ranks jabuticabas as plinias, the difference between Plinia and Myrciaria?

Thank you

I don't think there is much of a difference...and I don't know why some people refuse to use the name Myrciaria....and why some are classified as Plinia (even by those who categorize some as Myrciaria).

but I personally think some of the Myrciarias (like glazioviana, guaquiea, strigipes, and glomerata) should have their own genus.  They are much different than Sabara and it's close relatives (M. cauliflora, coronata, trunciflora, oblongata, etc)

also, Plinia edulis, Plinia rivularis, Mulchi (Plinia sp.), and Myrciaria vexator seem to belong to a separate group....

all i can say is...it's really confusing!  and probably will require genetic profiling to have a definitive answer...

Eugenia, Plinia, and Myrciaria are all closely related...and difficult for a layman to distinguish taxonomically.

Mulchi is Plinia inflata.
 http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18908.msg235411#msg235411
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:26:40 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 30, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
So afters years following this thread and not having much to say... I'm now happy to inform the world that there is another fruiting Jabo in Europe... mine!

I think this is a Sabará but not really sure... whatever the species I'm very happy with the size and quality of these fruits...excellent!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk