Author Topic: Fullerton Arboretum - Green Scene 2015  (Read 4882 times)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Fullerton Arboretum - Green Scene 2015
« on: April 16, 2015, 01:01:18 PM »
http://fullertonarboretum.org/event_green.php
Saturday, April 18th & Sunday April 19th, 2015
10:00 am - 4:00pm
Ticket Price $10.00
$5.00 for Arboretum Members or with Titan Card

CRFG OC Chapter listed their trees on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ocfruit
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:29:49 PM by funlul »
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Re: Fullerton Arboretum - Green Scene 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »
Well I am attending! Unfortunately I have no more in ground spaces :'( Would the following varieties do well in containers? Many thanks!!

Cherimoya: Pierce
Fig: Excel
Pluot: Flavor King no pollinator
Mulberry: Pakistan
Guava: clueless here, tips appreciated (Hawaiian White, Red Malaysian, Ruby X, Turnbull)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:33:49 PM by funlul »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
Well I am attending! Unfortunately I have no more in ground spaces :'( Would the following varieties do well in containers? Many thanks!!

Cherimoya: Pierce
Fig: Excel
Pluot: Flavor King
Mulberry: Pakistan
Guava: clueless here, tips appreciated (Hawaiian White, Red Malaysian, Ruby X, Turnbull)

The Fig and the Guava will do well in containers and will have decent production of fruit. Mulberry will produce in container, but will quickly become root bound. Plout may be better suited for the ground if you looking for a decent crop besides several smaller fruits from a container. The Cherimoya will produce in a container, but it will be marginal production maybe 5-7 full size fruit after a few years in a 15 gal container.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
The Fig and the Guava will do well in containers and will have decent production of fruit. Mulberry will produce in container, but will quickly become root bound. Plout may be better suited for the ground if you looking for a decent crop besides several smaller fruits from a container. The Cherimoya will produce in a container, but it will be marginal production maybe 5-7 full size fruit after a few years in a 15 gal container.

Thank you so much!!!! Would black pearl wax apple be better suited for container compared to cherimoya?

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:47:08 PM »
Do you think anyone will be selling grafted Sapodillas?  (Other than Papaya Tree Nursery.)  My relatives live in the area and have been looking for one for a while.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »

Thank you so much!!!! Would black pearl wax apple be better suited for container compared to cherimoya?

I lost my larger Wax Apple in a container to a frost a few years back. It did not flower or fruit yet, but did look like it was adaptable to container growing (its a relative of guava, so I would say its a better bet then cherimoya). Though I can personally say that container grown cherimoyas work and the taste was good, like I said production on lower side but you will get at least a couple fruits every year to eat.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:59:38 PM »
Thank you all!! I think I'll be able to plant both cherimoya & wax apple in ground, and leave fig#2 & guava#2 in pots for long term.
Poor peach tree will leave its home and settle for 15 gal pot. Very vigorous tree and fruitful, but the taste is kinda tart.
Now only if I figure out which guava to get ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:12:16 PM by funlul »

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 11:26:42 PM »
My wax apple set about 15 fruits in a 15 gallon last year so its doable.  Guava produced well for me but can become big fast

Champa nursery in el monte had some sapodi available when i went there last year.
Robert

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
I have a Hardy Chicago fig in a 15 gallon pot. Last year, from August thru October, it ripened several fruits a day. It's only about 4' tall.

gary

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »
Pic of 2 of the of the 30 + avocado varieties for sell in the CRFG booth.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 02:28:06 PM »
Awesome! More please :)
Shane

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 02:35:56 PM »
Awesome! More please :)

I wish i took more but I spend my time talking to Mark Lee  and Behl maybe someone else can add more pix.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »
Here's more pictures:

Lots of people buying grafted avocados at $20 each.
Never saw those super giant Queen nor Choquette variety avocados! I think one Queen would be enough for the wife and I to consume it daily for a week... :)
Sam

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »
The CRFG OC booth was well organized and well run! Thanks everyone for volunteering :)

I arrived Sat 11:15 to grab the last cherimoya and last mulberry. Excel figs were gone fast, fingers crossed I can get a cutting at other CRFG events! Yeah, everyone was taking picture of the avocados, haha.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »
The CRFG OC booth was well organized and well run! Thanks everyone for volunteering :)

I arrived Sat 11:15 to grab the last cherimoya and last mulberry. Excel figs were gone fast, fingers crossed I can get a cutting at other CRFG events! Yeah, everyone was taking picture of the avocados, haha.

Just opened an email from Don (CRFG) that yesterday was the highest gross receipt ever!

He added: "We sold out of many different varieties, some early in the morning.  We could have sold much more if we'd had it.  I heard several customers ask for peaches after we'd run out.  And for many, many other kinds..."

It was my first experience volunteering to write up sales tickets yesterday; and it was fun and rewarding to get to know some leaders of Orange County (California) chapter of CRFG and other fellow members.... also seeing customer's frustration when his passion fruit selection that he already set aside to purchase was no longer there...  :D
Thanks for the opportunity, CFRG!
Sam

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »

Just opened an email from Don (CRFG) that yesterday was the highest gross receipt ever!

He added: "We sold out of many different varieties, some early in the morning.  We could have sold much more if we'd had it.  I heard several customers ask for peaches after we'd run out.  And for many, many other kinds..."

It was my first experience volunteering to write up sales tickets yesterday; and it was fun and rewarding to get to know some leaders of Orange County (California) chapter of CRFG and other fellow members.... also seeing customer's frustration when his passion fruit selection that he already set aside to purchase was no longer there...  :D
Thanks for the opportunity, CFRG!

Glad to hear new member getting involved. I'll be working the booth at the OC fairgrounds this summer, hope to meet you there.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
I am looking forward to meeting you, JF!
I am sure I will get gainful knowledge hanging with you... :)
Sam