Author Topic: Guava recommendation?  (Read 15462 times)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Guava recommendation?
« on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »
Have searched the forum and realized we have not talked about favorite guava varieties for a while :)

I am looking for a pest free, good tasting guava for zone 10b, preferably with minimal/edible seeds. It will be container grown. Recommendations are truly appreciated!

What is your favorite guava? :D
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Guava recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »
Beaumont Guava is a high quality Hawaii cultivar. It has fair amount of seed but the taste is awesome. The baseball size guava is red/pinkish flesh and produce ton of guava (had to put up couple of stake fearing it might snap; growing on a slope) well into late winter. Harvest time for us San Jose starts November and should be a little early for you S. Californian. With the heat in L.A, I can assure you that you can produce the highest quality Beaumont like the Hawaiian. The next door neighbor ask for the tree and it is hard to find one now (might have to air layer him one if I can't track down one). I know Lavern Nursery propogate them. Good Luck.

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »
I like Thai guava😃
RichardN

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
Thank you all! I may get hold of a fully grown dwarf Vietnamese giant guava tomorrow, not sure what to expect in terms of survival and fruit quality haha.

Please keep your recommendations coming! What about Red Malaysian?

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
One with no worms.
Mike

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
Thank you all! I may get hold of a fully grown dwarf Vietnamese giant guava tomorrow, not sure what to expect in terms of survival and fruit quality haha.

Please keep your recommendations coming! What about Red Malaysian?

I have 40+/- Thai guava trees that are 4 years old. I don't think you have any problem growing it. Make sure you grow it in pots just in case you have to move it for the winter. Nothing is impossible
RichardN

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »
One with no worms.

No such thing in Florida.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 03:11:29 PM »
What type of guavas do you prefer? If you like the soft eating types, try turnbull and mexican cream.  Turnbull can get to baseball size with very soft and creamy texture. Mexican cream is on the smaller side but flavor is excellent with a moderate amount of soft seeds.

If you prefer the crispy eating type, our favorite is the crystal seedless.  Fruit must be picked at the right stage.  If it's left on the tree too long, you'll get a large but bland and porous fruit. Seed count is usually around 10 +/- 2 soft seeds.  There are other seedless types that have a completely hollow pit with the same flavor and texture but they are shy bearers.

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »
RichardN,

Nice to hear that you like Thai Guava (white?).How big does your Thai Guava fruits grow to, in the pot or ground? What about taste and texture? I put 2 Thai White Guava into the ground this month. Size of the tree on the ground? Thanks.

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »
@Funlul, check out xshen's collections, he has a lot of good tasting varieties and he can sell you some trees. He lives in el monte too.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »
Thank you everyone!

I have 40+/- Thai guava trees that are 4 years old. I don't think you have any problem growing it. Make sure you grow it in pots just in case you have to move it for the winter. Nothing is impossible

Is Vietnamese guava essentially the same as Thai? The tree in question is currently blooming and I'll need to dig it out... Hence the question of survival!

I am not sure if this tree will get (container + full sun) or (in ground + part shade)... Sigh.

What type of guavas do you prefer? If you like the soft eating types, try turnbull and mexican cream.  Turnbull can get to baseball size with very soft and creamy texture. Mexican cream is on the smaller side but flavor is excellent with a moderate amount of soft seeds.

If you prefer the crispy eating type, our favorite is the crystal seedless.  Fruit must be picked at the right stage.  If it's left on the tree too long, you'll get a large but bland and porous fruit. Seed count is usually around 10 +/- 2 soft seeds.  There are other seedless types that have a completely hollow pit with the same flavor and texture but they are shy bearers.

Pest free + low maintenance preferred! Would smaller fruit size be more suitable for container growing?

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
RichardN,

Nice to hear that you like Thai Guava (white?).How big does your Thai Guava fruits grow to, in the pot or ground? What about taste and texture? I put 2 Thai White Guava into the ground this month. Size of the tree on the ground? Thanks.
It very in sizes from a large egg -  little bigger than a softball. Sweet and crunchy. When rip skin will have a greenish yellow. I like to pick the guava before the skin turn any sign of yellow.
RichardN

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
I like xshen's Crystal Seedless Guava....crunchy and tasty!  It can be grown in a container too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:08:33 PM by wslau »
Warren

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 08:39:14 PM »

I may just give this cv a try. Saw some 1gal pots of these loaded with fruit. It was barely 8 inches tall. Seems very precocious.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »
I grow red Malaysian and a strange orange beaumont seedling. The red was a bit of a disappointment but the orange is fantastic. I've also had the small pink mexican and cream mexican, both are good, the pink was really nice. The seedless whites are a little boring for me, kinda like an apple or pear, doesn't really have the tropical attraction as the seeded ones. I can't wait for my beaumont to come back in season.

Fyi, the orange beaumont was a Durlings purchase by way of a local nursery. Durlings plants are usually much larger and better quality than the La Verne variety. Almost all guavas sold commercially are seedlings. They usually come close to the parent, though my orange one obviously didn't turn out pink or red.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 11:02:04 PM »
I have two lemon guava and a strawberry guava, both are pest free and are delicious, albeit a bit on the small side, but... they make up for their small size in production. I've had Ruby supreme and the fruits I got were excellent but I could not control the scale so I pulled it.

I'm awaiting the mexican cream and Thai white fruits to mature so I can't report on the taste, but so far I have not had a pest on the several I have.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:14:39 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
Josh,
Any chance I could score some scions from you on that orange guava?  It looks very interesting. 

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:15:19 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 11:22:15 PM »
One with no worms.

There is one.

Variegated Honeymoon Guava. The most delicious smell and taste of any Guava I've tried.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 12:07:24 AM »
I have Mexican Cream in Nor Cal. Tastes really good, I recommend it....

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
Thank you all! I ended up with a turnbull in container :)  and a Vietnamese giant transplanted from ground, not sure if it will survive yet :(  Hoping for grafting success as well...

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
Thank you all! I ended up with a turnbull in container :)  and a Vietnamese giant transplanted from ground, not sure if it will survive yet :(  Hoping for grafting success as well...
Where did you get that turbull?

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 09:58:14 PM »
One with no worms.

There is one.

Variegated Honeymoon Guava. The most delicious smell and taste of any Guava I've tried.
Anyone else growing this honeymoon guava? Not much information about it online.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:00:11 PM by MangCau »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 10:13:46 PM »
One with no worms.

Excalibur variegated pink.  Hopefully there should be some available later in the summer.
- Rob

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
My friend has 3 Taiwanese yellow guavas in her yard. Very soft with a very strong aroma. It has become my favorite guava because how it smells, literally using them as air freshener!

I will definitely ask for budwoods next spring.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:55:52 PM by funlul »