Author Topic: What Might This Be?  (Read 1623 times)

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
What Might This Be?
« on: May 28, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
This popped up 2 days ago and I have no idea what it is. The 2nd photo shows the seed pod laying beside the plant.

Any ideas?

Michael

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What Might This Be?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:29:29 PM »
Looks a little like Schinus terebinthifolius... brazilian pepper.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:33:42 PM »
Brazilian pepper has a tiny seed and looks way different that stuff is every where around here. I'd let it get bigger and see what it dose.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
Looks like Marula to me. The pod fits, with it's size, shape and double seed holes. The cotyledon shape fits. The leaves look a bit blurry in the pics, but though I can't get a good look at the petiole & specific leaf type, the general shape reminds me of it as well.

If it really is Marula, re-plant the pod. I got two plants out of mine. It's really more of a double-seeded stone than a single seed.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 11:34:54 PM »
Looks like Marula to me. The pod fits, with it's size, shape and double seed holes. The cotyledon shape fits. The leaves look a bit blurry in the pics, but though I can't get a good look at the petiole & specific leaf type, the general shape reminds me of it as well.

If it really is Marula, re-plant the pod. I got two plants out of mine. It's really more of a double-seeded stone than a single seed.

You may have nailed it Caesar. I purchased some Marula seeds from Stuart last year and a few
of them never germinated. I'll post a photo after it gets a little larger and compare it with the ones
I have growing.
Michael

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:59 PM »
Looking forward to the pics. I hope you succeed in getting them all to adulthood. My second treeling died, so even if I was lucky enough to get both genders, I'm back to one now. I won't be getting any fruit from it unless I get more of 'em. I'm just gonna let it grow to flowering, and once I find out it's gender, I'll get some more seeds and try to find complementary scion material to ensure fruit production.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:50:15 PM »
I did not notice the seed, yeah the brazilian pepper has small seeds. Hopefully it is marula that would be nice :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk