Author Topic: Planting dragon fruit close to wall  (Read 7099 times)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Planting dragon fruit close to wall
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »
I have a dragon fruit in 5 gallon pot and am thinking about transplanting it to ground. The only space available is right by a south facing brick wall. Would having a dragon fruit planted close to the wall cause damage to it in the long run? How aggressive is dragon fruit root system and how close is too close? Thank you very very much!
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Planting dragon fruit close to wall
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:08:36 AM »
Hey Funlul, I am no expert on the subject but I have about 6 fruiting DF in my yard. Their root system is not aggressive at all and planting them in a sunnier location seems to be best for them. My Father-in-law stopped by my house with a few pots and put them in various locations around my yard...I noticed the DF's that had less light grew thinner and vice versa (not to mention fruiting or lack thereof). If you built a little scaffolding across your wall they would enjoy it I'm sure or go the usual vertical "T" route.

Chris

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:29:56 AM »
They will most likely latch on to your brick wall and take over unless you manage it very well. Left untended they tend to go feral if they got the room to cling on and run.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 03:39:05 AM »
I have a dragon fruit in 5 gallon pot and am thinking about transplanting it to ground. The only space available is right by a south facing brick wall. Would having a dragon fruit planted close to the wall cause damage to it in the long run? How aggressive is dragon fruit root system and how close is too close? Thank you very very much!

well, the roots aren't what you have to worry about, it's the plant continually climbing on to your roof. I'd need to see the wall really.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
thanks all, it's a 6 feet tall brick wall between my yard and my neighbor's yard. no roof nearby.
how close to the wall is too close? Is half foot OK? :)

I think watering issue is more serious now. The spot I mention is a raised bed for veggies, which means the dragon fruit risks getting too much water...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:19:08 AM by funlul »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
Dagonfruit, unlike some cacti, are not desert-dwellers--they are from the jungle.  I don't really think too much water will be an issue, provided that the veggies are happy, and not waterlogged also.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 07:20:49 PM »
Your veggie planter might get overrun with DF roots. I'm actually not sure how far out they'll go if they also have the downward option available.

It'll probably not cross to your neighbor's yard too much since your side of the wall faces south.

You do need a sturdy trellis. Imagine 50lbs of weight on top. It could be hundreds of lbs but I'm assuming you keep it pruned. People posted some trellis ideas in the dragonfruit thread.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 05:10:45 AM »
Dagonfruit, unlike some cacti, are not desert-dwellers--they are from the jungle.  I don't really think too much water will be an issue, provided that the veggies are happy, and not waterlogged also.

They will die if planted in waterlogged soil.

The require exactly the same moisture level as papaya.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
Consider keeping it in a large pot, they do great and fruit heavily but you'll definitely need a good trellis.

Simon

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »
Consider keeping it in a large pot, they do great and fruit heavily but you'll definitely need a good trellis.

Sigh, I thought the DF would feel happier in the ground and produce better.
I try to avoid overpotting it or repotting a larger cactus (eeek). 15 gal is the biggest pot I have.

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »
Im kind of a newbie.. but my dragon fruit seem to fruit " mostly" on the downward hanging branches. If this is going to grow up then over the wall, id imagine your neihbor will get more fruit then you in the long run.  Personally I use 4x4 post trellis near my back fence and keep in my own yard.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 02:24:43 AM »
LOL my other neighbour does get lots of my grapes on the fence.

I will build trellis on my side and keep the plant pruned. just hesitating whether to plant it in ground or in pot (overwatering issue vs repotting hassle).

thank you again everyone.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »
how often is repotting necessary?  Seems nearly impossible to do if the vine is mature without problems.  I was under the impression that DF roots will eventually grow down into the ground anyway.  :-\
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 10:29:06 AM »
My suggestion is to start with a 20g or 40g pot to begin with. Once its large and established growing an a heavy T trellis, you are not going to want to try and move it. Cut a huge hole in the bottom and sink an 8 ft 4x4 right through the middle of the pot and into a pre-dug post hole in the ground, maybe 1.5 feet deep. Oh, and make the T trellis on top first. You dont want to try hammering it together after the main post is already upright. ;D
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 10:39:15 AM »
My suggestion is to start with a 20g or 40g pot to begin with. Once its large and established growing an a heavy T trellis, you are not going to want to try and move it. Cut a huge hole in the bottom and sink an 8 ft 4x4 right through the middle of the pot and into a pre-dug post hole in the ground, maybe 1.5 feet deep. Oh, and make the T trellis on top first. You dont want to try hammering it together after the main post is already upright. ;D

Good info.  Short and sweet.  Very helpful as I am hoping to get my DF setup by the end of this year.
~Jeff

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
You guys should just read through the old posts in the dragonfruit thread. Lots of good details there. If I remember correctly, Gray Martin grew his in 1 gallon pots and allowed the roots to go through the bottom. So large pot is not necessary if you plan to let the roots through.

Some of mine are in 3 gallon pots. Some are in a raised planter made just for them. I put the trellis outside the planter so it wouldn't become rotted from being in the soil.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »
If I remember correctly, Gray Martin grew his in 1 gallon pots and allowed the roots to go through the bottom. So large pot is not necessary if you plan to let the roots through.

Thanks! I honestly read thru a lot of the DF threads already, still not sure what size pot to use :P

But I like the idea of letting the roots thru. Will dig a hole near wall and bury the pot with its bottom cut off.
I imagine this will also cause less watering problems.

Trellis trellis trellis...

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 06:44:20 PM »

I personally wouldn't bury the pot more than an inch(just cover the drain holes) or you will run the risk of the pot becoming a pond of water. In the photo you can see how I grow all my Dragonfruit. If you don't like the black plastic pot you can chose something that will be a feature. Pot size doesn't really matter, as long as the roots can work their way into the ground below. If your Dragonfruit grows on the fence, there is a fair chance it will pull your fence down when it gets big enough! Also, dogs(mine at least) can sometimes take a liking to Dragonfruit, as you can see on the left.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »
If I remember correctly, Gray Martin grew his in 1 gallon pots and allowed the roots to go through the bottom. So large pot is not necessary if you plan to let the roots through.

Thanks! I honestly read thru a lot of the DF threads already, still not sure what size pot to use :P

But I like the idea of letting the roots thru. Will dig a hole near wall and bury the pot with its bottom cut off.
I imagine this will also cause less watering problems.

Trellis trellis trellis...

I made the mistake of burying the pots in the ground...  in every case, near by tree's roots invaded the pots through the drainage holes.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »
Thanks all! It will be inside a veggie raised bed, no trees nearby.

I also plan to build a trellis + prune the DF regularly so it barely touches the brick wall. Since the wall is south facing, I imagine DF would happily grow toward this side.

Would the pot potentially become a pond even with the bottom of the pot completely cut off? I am only trying to isolate the watering of DF from that of nearby vegetables. Thought about burying the 5 gallon pot half way thru... THANK YOU again.