Author Topic: Fresh figs wanted in San Gabriel Valley, CA  (Read 1851 times)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Fresh figs wanted in San Gabriel Valley, CA
« on: September 15, 2015, 12:00:07 AM »
Dear forum friends, any recommendations on buying fresh figs in San Gabriel Valley,  CA?

I fly to Chicago next weekend, and my friends requested fresh figs. Really not sure how well these delicate fruits travel, but first I'll need to FIND some good tasting fruits LOL

No luck with Wholefoods / Trader Joe. Not sure about Costco yet. Any farmers market that I should check out? Or does anyone have a large tree in the backyard that is still in season? Tips for buying and storing are much appreciated in advance :D
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh figs wanted in San Gabriel Valley, CA
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:15:45 AM »
There are some late cropping fig selections, but unless you know someone growing it may be hard the find. Try wholefoods, they may have some figs but I have not checked recently.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:34:47 AM »
Thanks a lot @nullzero
A very good family friend has a large tree in the backyard, but alas, this year they had very bad fortune with fruits going bad before ripening.
Fingers crossed crossed crossed.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:42:42 AM »
My mom's dark skinned fig also did poorly. The fruits all split open at the eye even though they didn't do that in past years. Then the green beetles were also picking at them and ruining them. And they were sour this year.

I finally got fruit from nullzero's 'carini' fig this year. I'm not sure what color they're supposed to be. The first one was green and very good, then I watered more and they didn't taste as good. But it's in a pot and don't get consistent water so the fruits don't get plump like they should. I'll put it in the ground for next year.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:57:27 AM »
You are doing this backwards a little bit. Actually there are plenty of fresh figs available throughout Chicago metro area, both black and green types.  Many big ethnic supermarkets owned by Italians and Greeks. Their produce sections are award winning. Better than any Whole Foods, in fact better than any supermarkets in the whole America. Fresh figs sometimes cheaper than you get directly from farmer in California believe it or not.  Not sure if you'll get any next weekend. It depends on suppliers in California. Some places with multiple locations to check out:
http://caputomarkets.com/
http://myfreshfarms.com/

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:35:56 PM »
My Wegman's has a good selection of figs. They've been selling for most of the summer. Not cheap though.