Author Topic: Apple disease ID  (Read 994 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Apple disease ID
« on: May 14, 2021, 11:52:02 AM »

Anyone have ideas on this malady? This tree is 30-40 years old and all the old trunk was in very poor health. I’ve been taking off old funky looking wood and it leaves an orange coating on your gloves or hands / tools. This is healthy new growth but I want to get ahead of this stuff before it spreads.

The tree was way too cluttered and airflow was poor and it’s much more open now.

Santa Maria 9b

• Santa Maria, CA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Apple disease ID
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 12:48:07 AM »
I believe it's fire blight caused by the very cool year we are having. If you have any pear trees or loquats you may want to watch to make sure they don't get it too.

https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/got-fire-blight

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
I believe it's fire blight caused by the very cool year we are having. If you have any pear trees or loquats you may want to watch to make sure they don't get it too.

https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/got-fire-blight

It doesn't ooze at all. It's white and powdery and leaves an orange coating on tools or hands if disturbed. The tree hasn't died back at all either, it just looks kinda ugly... We have a ton of oaks and lichen around and I wonder if it may be related?

The other option is maybe mealy bug or something

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:50:35 PM »
I can’t tell anything from the pic posted but your description of white stuff that bleeds orange sounds like an insect problem I’ve seen but can’t remember what it was called. I don’t remember it causing a major problem though. Google it or send better pics to extension service agents.

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 11:33:57 PM »
Could it be woolly apple aphids? i recently started taking care of some neglected apple trees in my garden. they make branches malformed, form this cotton like covering for protection, and when I squish the cottony stuff with the aphids, it is orangish red.