Author Topic: Cherimoya fruit stopped growing?  (Read 688 times)

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
Cherimoya fruit stopped growing?
« on: September 12, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »
My booth cherimoya fruited about a month ago, and I was noticing the fruit getting bigger each day. Recently it stopped growing though. It's still getting plenty of sun, and I fertilize with 5-1-1 fish emulsion every two weeks. Our nightly lows are still about 60-65, so I doubt it could be the temperature. This is my first year with this tree though, so I still don't know all the nuances of growing cherimoya.

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya fruit stopped growing?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 06:43:51 AM »
hello,
people who grow cherimoyas in zone 9a have told me that when temperatures drop below 60°F, the fruits stop growing, and will start growing again in the spring (but perhaps they told about 60°F during the day and not during the night).
you grow cherimoya in greenhouse or outside ? because 8a weather seems very cold for cherimoya outside.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:49:22 AM by albert84 »

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:11:57 AM »
hello,
people who grow cherimoyas in zone 9a have told me that when temperatures drop below 60°F, the fruits stop growing, and will start growing again in the spring (but perhaps they told about 60°F during the day and not during the night).
you grow cherimoya in greenhouse or outside ? because 8a weather seems very cold for cherimoya outside.
I currently have all of my cherimoya in 5 gallon pots, and I just plan to bring them inside when it gets too cold. I would like to build a greenhouse in the future, I just need to find a design that would retain heat well. Something that I have found interesting is that my trees are still flowering, despite it being too cold for the fruits to grow, as you said earlier.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 10:26:44 AM »
they dont stop growing when the night temps are below 60.  its around 60 at night all summer here and 100 during the day. 

you just need to stop looking at it everyday.  theres no way you can say, i saw it grow yesterday but today it stopped!

find something else to stare at, it needs many more months to grow. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:40:36 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 12:11:43 PM »
they dont stop growing when the night temps are below 60.  its around 60 at night all summer here and 100 during the day. 

you just need to stop looking at it everyday.  theres no way you can say, i saw it grow yesterday but today it stopped!

so I understand that it's only when the day temperatures are below 60 that the fruits stop growing ?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 02:38:44 PM »

so I understand that it's only when the day temperatures are below 60 that the fruits stop growing ?

i dont know what that person was telling you but certainly not a nightime temp of 59 is going to stop your fruit from growing.   Dont fixate on details.  Sometimes you just need to try doing things for yourself and see how it works out. 
Brad Spaugh