Author Topic: Can I use store bought mango seeds for dwarf mango rootstock?  (Read 1346 times)

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
Can I use store bought mango seeds for dwarf mango rootstock?
« on: September 29, 2021, 02:42:33 PM »
I just potted some seeds from some store bought mango (I believe they were keitt), and I was curious as to whether they would make good rootstock for carrie and/or pickering. I've never grafted before, so I'm not sure whether I'd need a special rootstock for those varieties, or if anything would work.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Can I use store bought mango seeds for dwarf mango rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 05:33:30 PM »
Any rootstock will work. Not sure what you mean by dwarf in your question. Those are not dwarfing rootstock. Pickering will naturally be dwarf, Carrie semi-dwarf.

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 05:40:53 PM »
Any rootstock will work. Not sure what you mean by dwarf in your question. Those are not dwarfing rootstock. Pickering will naturally be dwarf, Carrie semi-dwarf.
I should have worded it better. From what I've read, pickering and Carrie are dwarf/good for growing in pots. I was just wondering if they need a dwarf rootstock to stay dwarf trees.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 10:50:39 PM »
Both the scion and the rootstock have an effect on the overall characteristics of the tree. Also, a rootstock that dwarfs one specific variety may not necessarily dwarf another variety.

If you are using non clonal rootstocks, the effect can be completely unpredictable, especially if using Monoembryonic seedlings because of the randomness of the parent pollen.

All this aside, I usually focus on the scion because it controls much of the shape of the top of the tree including branching structure.

For example, if I used Kent as a rootstock and grafted Lemon Zest onto it, ignoring the fact that the scion could significantly influence vigor, the resulting tree will likely be tall and upright because of the longer internode distance associated with this variety.

If I took that same Kent rootstock and grafted Carrie onto it, the resulting tree will likely have a more compact, dense canopy because of the attributes associated with the Carrie variety.

The rootstock will help influence how fast each of the trees described above will reach a specific height/size.

I had a thread on mango rootstocks but it’s so old that most of the links are broken.

Here’s a link that hopefully works

https://www.mango.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Mango_rootstock_Final_Report_Eng.pdf

Simon

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 09:16:15 AM »
Both the scion and the rootstock have an effect on the overall characteristics of the tree. Also, a rootstock that dwarfs one specific variety may not necessarily dwarf another variety.

If you are using non clonal rootstocks, the effect can be completely unpredictable, especially if using Monoembryonic seedlings because of the randomness of the parent pollen.

All this aside, I usually focus on the scion because it controls much of the shape of the top of the tree including branching structure.

For example, if I used Kent as a rootstock and grafted Lemon Zest onto it, ignoring the fact that the scion could significantly influence vigor, the resulting tree will likely be tall and upright because of the longer internode distance associated with this variety.

If I took that same Kent rootstock and grafted Carrie onto it, the resulting tree will likely have a more compact, dense canopy because of the attributes associated with the Carrie variety.

The rootstock will help influence how fast each of the trees described above will reach a specific height/size.

I had a thread on mango rootstocks but it’s so old that most of the links are broken.

Here’s a link that hopefully works

https://www.mango.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Mango_rootstock_Final_Report_Eng.pdf

Simon
Thank you very much for the info! As I said, I know very little about grafting, much less about grafting mangoes, do this was quite helpful. I'll be sure to give your thread a look.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 09:40:48 AM »
Correction above, I meant to say that the rootstock could significantly affect the vigor but the scion can affect the vigor as well. Here’s a link to my old thread
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20816.0

Simon

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »
My dad’s Carrie is 30 ft tall, my neighbors is about 25 ft tall. Carrie might be tough to keep in a pot permanently.

Pickering is certainly a small tree and great for a large pot. Carrie is a fairly vigorous grower here in south Florida at least.

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 09:02:55 PM »
My dad’s Carrie is 30 ft tall, my neighbors is about 25 ft tall. Carrie might be tough to keep in a pot permanently.

Pickering is certainly a small tree and great for a large pot. Carrie is a fairly vigorous grower here in south Florida at least.
Any other recommendations then? Most sites I read say pickering is generally best, followed by carrie and some others. I picked carrie because supposedly it tastes better than most dwarf trees, but I'm just going off of what I've read so far. I'm still far away from buying cuttings to graft, so I'm entirely open to suggestions.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 08:21:14 AM »
The mango Rootstock issue have been going on for a while,  specially making manageable trees.
An old thread with good information
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20816.25

The Israeli 13-1 has ample literature indicating that has a semi-dwarfing effect on some Florida cultivar and is readily available.  I know of a grower in Mexico that had a few acres of Keitt  mango on 13-1 and he did confirmed that keeps the trees manageable with good production. I have some growing that will be grafted on Keitt this spring.

The issue with the so called "Turpentine"   is that it is not a definite cultivar but a series of generically different cultivars named Turpertine  to indicate a small fruit.  Some call them "Criollos", Juice mango, Chupeta etc   I know of several trees that are used for rootstock that are called  Turpentine and they are all quite different.  It is a shame that no studies have been made to select the best and give it a name. The availability of sequencing DNA is more accessible today to at least be able to identify a local collection of these trees. In reality when a study refers to Turpentine you really don't know what the hell it is.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 12:05:11 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk