Author Topic: Growing Mango trees in Southern California  (Read 89298 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mango trees in Southern California
« Reply #550 on: April 07, 2021, 07:45:24 PM »

It would appear this Valencia pride seedling is flowering. It is 2 years old.

You're correct. Usually my seedlings flower at 3 years old. Yours looks skinny; Why not plant it on ground?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 07, 2021, 07:48:14 PM »
can someone help me to buy scions of "cat hoa loc"?, please?

A member here name Squam (Alex) has many different scions to choose. But we don't know it's true Cat Hoa Loc or not. I wish someone visits VN and gets some true scions back.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 07, 2021, 09:58:08 PM »

You're correct. Usually my seedlings flower at 3 years old. Yours looks skinny; Why not plant it on ground?

I'm in 9b and it's pretty cold up here. I don't have any soil to put it that stands out as a microclimate. I am tempted to risk it but... It's so near and dear, babying it along as I have. Hit 24f last year and 26f this year.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 07, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »

I'm in 9b and it's pretty cold up here. I don't have any soil to put it that stands out as a microclimate. I am tempted to risk it but... It's so near and dear, babying it along as I have. Hit 24f last year and 26f this year.

24 or 26F is deadly. If you really want to eat fruits, I think you should have it in very big container -- deep is more important than diameter I think. I know once my seedlings are in ground and they grew much faster after 2 or 3 yrs.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2021, 03:02:45 PM »
I believe Simon is correct about Sapdodilla trees. I have included (4) photos for comparison. I purchased a number of Sapodilla Trees in 2017 including an Alano and Molix. You can see for yourself the difference in growth between June of 2017 and Nov of 2019 in my Alano. I have since sold my Alano since I successfully grafted three scions from this tree onto my Tikal sapodilla which was already in the ground.

My Molix sapodilla tree has grown quite well in the three years I have had it. You can see the photo from 2017 and another one was just taken recently.

Johnny

Alano Sapodilla 6-3-2017

Alano Sapodilla Tree 11-15-2019

Molix Sapodilla Tree 6-3-2017

Molix Sapodilla Tree11-18-2020

Johny, where did you buy Sapodillas from?

LuvFig

• USA, CA/SoCal, Los Angeles, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: April 09, 2021, 04:34:32 PM »
Greetings!

I am new to this forum.  Great info!  Has anyone grown Philippines Carabao mango in SoSCal or in Los Angeles?  How does it compare to Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart and Nam Doc Mai? 

It seems Ong Nursery in San Diego may have it but they don't opened until the weekend.  Trying to find out if this Carabao from Ong's is the same that is grown on the island of Guimaras that are supposedly very sweet.  Is it grafted or on its rootstock, and does it grow well in SoCal with clay soil etc.

Thanks in advance!
Grace