Author Topic: The Yam Checklist: Starting a Backyard Dioscorea Germplasm Collection  (Read 20311 times)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: The Yam Checklist: Starting a Backyard Dioscorea Germplasm Collection
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »
I harvested the first plant (out of 5, 4 to go) of Dioscorea esculenta, which I had received from Chandramohan. The verdict... It was great! Tender, quick to cook, mild and starchy. The skin is thin, but inedible and bitter (I tried it); if you cook the tiny ones in the skin, they're easier to pop out with your fingers than if you tried to peel them. Yields were small no fertilizer, infrequent watering, 2 gallon pots. I expect yields to be much better when given actual decent care.

I ate the first plant's worth of tubers. From the remainder, I'll save some seed tubers for myself and for anyone else interested. The other plants haven't died back yet, but when they do, I'll be leaving them in the ground until it's time to plant or ship (and shipped in media, as I received them). I had left this first batch of tubers exposed for a few days, and they turned a bit ugly outside though they were still nice and tasty inside.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »
I had a good enough harvest from the Dioscorea bulbifera from Caesar to show and even eat. I picked bulbils and dug out  tubers to relocate them this spring. They were strong growers and began to overtak some young mango trees planted close by. In the photo the round ones are bulbils and the tubers with roots were the "mother" vines. Disregard the one in upper right that was an aexceptional D. alata bulbil which touched the ground and rooted in to become very large.
The two largest mothers were 2 years in ground, the smaller ones were one year. So, by about the second year you can get substantial large bulbils from these.

The flesh is yellow and not so slippery as most yams. I fried some and the taste was excellent, very neutral flavor with nothing off-putting, equal to potato. The batch pictured I left the skin on but it was too tough to chew, however it pulled off easily with no waste.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »
That last pic looks mighty tasty!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2021, 11:14:06 PM »
One thing about these is they are good eating and the outward appearance is pretty regular, smooth and not gnarly bumpy or covered with roots. Plus they do taste very good!