Author Topic: WTB Kumquat seeds.  (Read 1068 times)

LazarusLong714

• Outside of Cleveland, Ohio. Zone 6a.
    • View Profile
WTB Kumquat seeds.
« on: September 12, 2023, 10:10:36 PM »
         Hi.    I would like to buy a few kumquat seeds.   I think I would like to specifically look for FUKUSHU, or Nagami, but I would like to be sure of what I am getting as the seedlings I have at this time are from grocery store kumquats and cannot be positively identified.

New to this CITRUS obsession.   All I have right now are generic kumquat seedlings and some generic grocery store lemon seedlings.   I would like to grow some seedlings/trees I can identify.    Let me know what you have and what you would like for them and we will see if we dan work something out.   

I am in Northern Ohio, so no problems with being in a restricted state!

Thanks for looking.

Lazarus.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Re: WTB Kumquat seeds.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 11:00:50 PM »
It will be cheaper and give better results to just ask for help identifying your grocery store kumquats from fruit; there are very few varieties available in grocery stores in the US outside of specialty markets, and I don't think it would be likely to be very difficult :)

LazarusLong714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 10:37:37 PM »
You know, that's a brilliant idea!   I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

Looking at pictures of the fruits of different varieties, I suspect Nagami, but am unsure.   They averaged about 1 inch in length, possibly a little more, and definitely more egg shaped than round. The larger few could have been close to 1.5 inches in length.  They had seeds, but many were not viable.  I eventually ate two packages of them (1 pound packages, packaged by a company called "Melissa's Fruits" or something like that) and all of the seeds I expected to be viable did end up germinating and I have 25 little seedlings growing.  I posted a couple of pictures on another thread but will also include them here, if that could help identify them.

Thanks caladri, for making me take a deep breath and think.  It always comes back to your training, right?

Like I said, I suspect Nagami, but I would appreciate knowing if anyone had any other thoughts on the subject based on my description of the fruit I ate.

Of course, that doesn't change my mind about wanting to buy some FUKUSHU seeds and/of fruit, if anyone has a Fukushu that is fruiting or getting into the season for it.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 09:01:02 AM »
If you had originally bought kumquats that were oval with some sourness it was likely Nagami. Round sweet ones are likely Meiwa. I see kumquats in stores from time to time. I think due to their appearance the ones I generally see in store are likely Nagami.
Trying to grow it all!

LazarusLong714

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 08:57:01 PM »
Hi D-Grower.

That has been the predominant thought.  On another thread I posted pictures of the actual fruit (I went back and bought more) and that was the answer I got based on actual pictures along with my description. 

I thank you for your response sir.     

Would you by any chance be growing FUKUSHU kumquats?

Lazarus.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 08:55:07 AM »
Don't have that variety myself. I do have a grafted nagami and meiwa tree. Fruit on them now. Could probably send you seeds if you like soon. I've noticed meiwa seeds don't like to sprout well but occasionally one will pop up. Not sure why they are like that for me anyway.
Trying to grow it all!

LazarusLong714

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 09:37:49 PM »
Thanks D-Grower.     I will take you up on that offer!   Starting off with some meiwa seeds would be great.   My Nagami seedlings are still mostly doing well.    I had a little set back because I wasn't fertilizing them and most of their leaves were turning yellow, but I have that sorted out now.  I lost a couple of the seedlings, and most of the rest lost a few leaves but the remaining leaves greened back up and new leaves are in good shape and color.

How old is your plant?  is this the first year of it fruiting?  I would be happy to cover postage.  Please keep me posted, and thanks!

Lazarus

Rajski15

• Florida - 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 08:13:39 PM »
Dont have your preferred varieties but i do have a 2-3 yr grafted Meiwa.
Small tree, very high yield, taste is pretty good also.
Highly recommend it, dont know how it compares to the other varieties.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 08:51:23 AM »
Thanks D-Grower.     I will take you up on that offer!   Starting off with some meiwa seeds would be great.   My Nagami seedlings are still mostly doing well.    I had a little set back because I wasn't fertilizing them and most of their leaves were turning yellow, but I have that sorted out now.  I lost a couple of the seedlings, and most of the rest lost a few leaves but the remaining leaves greened back up and new leaves are in good shape and color.

How old is your plant?  is this the first year of it fruiting?  I would be happy to cover postage.  Please keep me posted, and thanks!

Lazarus

I do have a few ripe fruits now. Its pretty cold at the moment. Seeds would likely freeze in transit this time of year.
Trying to grow it all!

LazarusLong714

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 08:23:03 PM »
Hi Rajski15 and D-Grower:

Sorry I have been a little distracted lately.    Youngest son is a high school senior and have had college visits, etc......Busy busy busy.

Anyway, I will be down in Dunedin Florida visiting Family on January 26 and 27.      I mentioned the Kumquat festival to my wife months ago (when I started asking on this site about it) and to my surprise, my wife made it a weekend trip for us.  Not sure where you guys live but I will be in Dunedin most of the 26th and in Dade City most of the 27th.   Not sure what time the flight out is on the 28th, but the 29th is Monday and I will have to be back at work that day...   If either of you are close maybe we could meet up for a coffee or a beer (depending on the time of day and your inclinations).

I have not tasted Meiwa, just Nagami.   Hoping to taste some other varieties in January.     I have no idea what to expect, except to enjoy the time with my wife and her cousin (the family that lives in Dunedin).

D-Grower, if seeds would still be an option, I would be happy to trade a beer and some good conversation for a few seeds!

Anyway, gentlemen, It's almost time to ring in the New Year.    I wish both of you (and everyone else) the best possible 2024.   Happy New Year to everyone and their families.

Lazarus.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 08:29:55 PM »
If they grow any of the extra large, juicy, and seedless meiwa kumquats I've gotten from some Chinese growers, you're in a for a treat! But even a relatively mediocre meiwa kumquat is super nice. Sounds like a fantastic trip :)