Author Topic: Possible solution for HLB?  (Read 2005 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Possible solution for HLB?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 08:09:18 AM »
There was another recent article I saw with another solution. They spray resistant bacteria on the tree somehow it transfers resistance to the tree. This seems to be similar an antibiotic which probably came from bacteria injected into the tree.

People are selling their land for residential development because of insane population growth and land values in Florida. The Florida citrus industry will just be a shadow of its former self. Florida isnít Florida anymore. The old Florida of orange juice, nature, 1960s style motels and strip malls not much left. Itís just city now with a different vibe and different culture to it.

Orange, tangerine and grapefruit juice is my favorite. I do want some good stuff on shelves at the store and some trees for personal consumption.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 01:54:58 PM »
There was another recent article I saw with another solution. They spray resistant bacteria on the tree somehow it transfers resistance to the tree. This seems to be similar an antibiotic which probably came from bacteria injected into the tree.

People are selling their land for residential development because of insane population growth and land values in Florida. The Florida citrus industry will just be a shadow of its former self. Florida isnít Florida anymore. The old Florida of orange juice, nature, 1960s style motels and strip malls not much left. Itís just city now with a different vibe and different culture to it.

Orange, tangerine and grapefruit juice is my favorite. I do want some good stuff on shelves at the store and some trees for personal consumption.

I seem to recall that shotgun-shacks and under-porch dogs appear pretty quickly once you get outside the Orlando city limits to the north and west. There's still some old-school Florida left.

HumongousChungus

• USA, TX, Houston, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 12:54:01 AM »
I have been experimenting with non-drug disinfectants. Not for HLB, but itís seeming to have an effect on mosaic virus and anthracnose. It smells awful though

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 12:22:26 AM »
Just adding my 2Ę worth here . . .

While they won't cure HLB, there is a free parisitic wasp release program underway in Gainsville aiming to help control the Asian Citrus Psyllid populations in Florida.

That program is providing free vials to release of the tiny Tamarixia (non-stinging) wasps that feed on ACPs.  These wasps predate both the ACP adults and their nymphs by laying eggs in them or simply feeding on the adults ACPs.  ACPs are the sole food for this Tamarixia wasp species.

The aim of the program is over time to drastically lower the ACP population that is affecting Florida citrus.

Interested parties may contact Amy Croft at the 'Methods Development & Biological Control
Division of Plant Industry' in Gainsville, FL at [ Amy.Croft@fdacs.gov  ]
to inquire about this free Tamarixia release program and details about it including instructions for ordering the wasps.

I released several free vials of these tiny Tamarixia wasps in my yard here in Tampa back in late spring and now no longer notice any ACPs on any of my citrus trees.

OK ó HTH

Paul M.
==

HumongousChungus

• USA, TX, Houston, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 12:53:26 PM »
Thank you Paul!

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 10:56:25 AM »
I wonder if Texas has a similar program.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a