Author Topic: Hawaii mango planting project of the best Florida varieties  (Read 880 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Hawaii mango planting project of the best Florida varieties
« on: October 28, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »
Aloha friends. 

For years and years I have been on this forum and seen people post about all these wonderful sounding zill varieties of mangos and left to wonder why in the world no one in Hawaii is planting these mangos. 

As I ask around to all the main fruit people I know in Hawaii it seems that every farm basically circulates about 10-20 of the regularly seen mangos in Hawaii. (And dont get me wrong these mangos are amazing) However I wanted to branch out and do some experimenting now that I have a prime piece of property for mangos and see what all the hype is about.   So Ive been importing grafted mangos over the last year or two and as of last week I have planted about 65 varieties.    With 10 or so more that I need to plant!   I wanted to share this list with all of you and include you on the journey.   I dont know what mangos will be successful here or not and to be honest Im ok with the outcome.  There is only one way to find out and Im doing it.

My mangos are planted every 20 and I plan to prune and guide these trees through their life to be great shaped, Low canopy and highly productive.  My inspiration to undertake this project was two summers ago attending the kona mango festival on the big island of Hawaii (where I live) and being so disappointed with the complete lack of mangos here and flavors.   Seems like in Hawaii everyone grows Haden. Keitt.  R2e2.  And 3-4 other classics.    Well buckle up kona cause Im about to introduce you to some new flavors that nobody in Hawaii has ever seen the likes of.   To you guys in Florida this will probably seem like a normal list of mangos you might have in your orchard.  But in Hawaii I dare say this will be the most diverse mango collection planted on my island.  (If someone knows of another person on big island with an extensive collection pls let me know.   Id love to collaborate).  Here is the list so far.    Any comments or tips are appreciated and any other must haves that Im missing please help me find them.    Hoping to have 100 varieties when its all said and done. 

Behold the list.

Valencia pride
Sweet tart
Orange sherbet
Lemon zest
Coconut cream
Cotton candy
Pineapple pleasure
Rapoza
Golden glow
Mapalehu
Brooks late
Lancetilla
Ceci love
Carrie
Pickering
Pia colada
Crme brle
Tymour
Cabeza
Ice cream
Peach cobbler
Juicy peach

Alampur beneshan/imam passand
Fairchild
R2E2
M-4
Florigon
Fruit cocktail
Gary
Sugarloaf
Cushman
Venus
Duncan
Cogshall
Julie
Juliette
Nam doc Mai #4
Okrung
Angie
Rosigold
(Pirie)
White pirie

Row 3
Zillate
Glenn
Southern blush
Orange essence

Lemon zest
Harvest moon
Triple sec
Fruit punch
Edward
O-15
Super Alphonso
Alphonso
Kesar
Chockanon
CAC
Rapoza
Juicy peach
Sunrise
Madmam Francis
Phoenix
Momi K
Haden
Keitt
Ewais
Mystery lost tag :( (maybe ataulfo)
Raw honey
Maha Chanok

With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii mango planting project of the best Florida varieties
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 07:23:42 PM »
That's very nice looking. Those should grow great with no competition from weeds.

What are the temperatures and rainfall in your area? And what are the main pests and diseases?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 07:24:06 PM »
Awesome! It needed to be done! Whereabouts is that plant out? Looks like theyre going to do great at that elevation and looks dry too.

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 08:44:17 PM »
This looks and sounds epic congrats on going for it !!!
I hope to try your mangos in the Future Cheers.
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 03:22:20 AM »
Hi Kona Fruit Farm,

Well done.  Ive had a similar experience. Some of these varieties have been grown in the islands but I dont know of others besides ourselves who are planting a wide range of the Gary Zill selections in Hawaii. My list looks similar to yours, but Im stopping at about 60 varieties, over 100 trees. Most of mine have been growing for a year and a half at 1350 elevation in dry Omaopio, Kula, Maui, Hawaii. Lets share info when they fruit.

Wed like to hear from anyone else who is growing these varieties in Hawaii.

If theres anyone on Maui or other Hawaiian islands that wants to plant Gary Zill selections and other mango varieties, I have already passed on lots of scionwood to Natureworks Nursery in Haiku Maui. https://natureworksnursery.com/  For example they had dozens of Lemon Zest when I was last there. Nice trees, 3 gal and up.

Aloha, Steph

KonaFruitFarm

• USA, Hawaii, Kailua Kona, 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 10:41:41 PM »
Hey Steph!

yes!  so glad to hear someone else who's going for it!   my location is at 800' in kona,  pretty prime area for mangos to be honest.  Can you message me and we can talk more?  would love to hear about your successes etc.   

for everyone else who's asking the rainfall i'm unsure of  i would estimate 30-40" per year.. but i also set up irrigation on this whole 5 acres and its an option if i need to water them more.   

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 11:26:06 PM »
Its awfully confusing to have a "Kona Fruit Farm" and a "KonaFruitFarm." Are both of you representing the same entity, or is there something else going on?

Quill

• US, HI/ West Maui, Kahana, 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 12:18:14 AM »
That's exciting news.  I have wondered about the lack of mainland mango varieties after watching the many youtube videos based in Florida.  I don't have any nursery mango trees as they tend to be pretty expensive here and I want to graft my own anyway so I have about a dozen seedlings started.  I hope you keep us apprised of your progress and consider selling scionwood or trade for citrus.  Best of luck to you and Mahalo for this project.

KonaFruitFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 12:33:49 AM »
hey Galatians i'm the other Kona Fruit Farm too but i somehow got logged out of that account and i tried every password reset option out there and after weeks of attempts i finally gave up and created this new account.  so yeah  same person, hope that helps

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 05:41:39 PM »
hey Galatians i'm the other Kona Fruit Farm too but i somehow got logged out of that account and i tried every password reset option out there and after weeks of attempts i finally gave up and created this new account.  so yeah  same person, hope that helps

Hey, thanks for the explanation. I wondered if sonthing like that had happened. I don't even remember my password, so I imaginr the same thing will happen to me sometime.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2023, 07:43:27 PM »
Kona, wow!  Congrats & i wish you good luck!
You'll be great knowledge for us wondering about disease resistance, anthracnose, powdery mildew, production, growth habit ect among varieties. 

Question- is hillside tarp to keep unwanted weeds & such away? 

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2023, 12:13:23 PM »
Hi KonaFruitFarm,

I assume youre not ready to trade scionwood. Im looking for more scionwood of M-4 and the Oahu selection Kinney. Let me know if youre looking for scionwood of other varieties.

Heres a photo of my main mango orchard last eve.

Aloha, Steph

KonaFruitFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 01:44:08 AM »
wow steph your place looks awesome  i'd love to come visit sometime,  let me check my M4 Tree tomorrow and see how it looks and if there is any shaping i wanna do at the moment.  (and of course status of buds)  Do you have a list of all your trees? 

EDDIE yeah the black weed mat on the hillside is for weed control   that hillside is like a 60 degree slope  so its basically unmanageable otherwise.   

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 12:53:04 AM »
Hi Kona Fruit Farm,
Yes. Here are the varieties Im growing in Kula. I have Mangifera species at our wet farm.
Ah Ping
(Ambika)  to propagate
Arka Neelkiran
Beverly
Brahm Kai Meu
Cac
Carla
Ceci Love
Choc Anon
Coconut Cream
Cotton Candy
Creme Brulee
Edward
Fruit Punch
Gouveia
Honey Kiss
Ice Cream
Jumbo Kesar
Kathy
Keitt
(Kinney)  to propagate
Lancetilla
Lemon Zest
Little Gem
Maha Chanok
Mallika
Neelam
Orange Essence
Orange Sherbet
Phoenix
Pickering
Pim Sen Mun
Pineapple Pleasure
Po Pyu Kalay (Lemon Meringue)
Rapoza
Rosigold
Sein ta Lone
(Sonpari)  to propagate
ST Maui
Step
Sugarloaf
Sunrise
Super Julie
Sweet Tart
Tete Nene
Venus
White Pirie
Zill 80
Zill M-4
Zill O-15

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 01:42:19 PM »
Steph, Glad to see your list and trees in the ground, awesome view!

Also glad to have helped out a bit at Jeffs (Kona fruit farm) property.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:43:59 PM by ben mango »

booeyschewy

• Bahia, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2023, 04:56:15 AM »
If youre planning to prune and keep your mangos compact and productive 20 spacing is pretty big. Nowadays similar methods use anywhere from 6-12 spacing for high density mangos with good results. That said I would look into an alternative of diversifying and planting either interspersed species or alternating lines of mangos. Diversity in root systems and shading is beneficial for a bunch of reasons. With 20 between the trees you can easily accommodate canopy palm species or shade tolerant species between the mangos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk