Author Topic: Looking for Nangaka mini jackfruit  (Read 589 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Looking for Nangaka mini jackfruit
« on: November 28, 2023, 10:33:08 AM »
Anyone got this variety?
I know a few sellers from overseas were offering this one.
My only hope of fruiting jackfruit up here...
Thanks!

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Nangaka mini jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 05:30:38 PM »
Iv been trying to find that for some time now with no luck. I havent even come across seeds from anywhere I would trust ordering from. If you happen to find anything let me know! I think its nangka if I rememeber correctly, unless those are different lol.
Bill

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 05:37:30 PM »
so far my friend has one in the ground. Seedling.  It has run away from him and hit 18' before he decided to trim it back to trigger more flowering. He got a few fruit first time. he said it wasn't the greatest...but he's going to let it mature and see if it improves. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 07:35:26 AM »
I tried grafting a few on the weekend onto dwarf rootstock. I had past success but not so much this time. They are small leafed, thin trunked and very productive. The fruit are usually spherical, a couple of kgs and of good quality. I have seen some being sold in SE Asia that are not the real deal.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 05:09:34 PM »
So itís the tree and not just the fruit that are mini? Iíve had a small jackfruit that was soft-fleshed, very easy to open , little to no latex, but the taste wasnít anything that great. Came across another fruit in borneo before that looked like a possible cempedak on the outside, small fruit about a kg to one kg if a bigger one, the taste was pure jack. I wondered if it was a hybrid or just a pure jack.  Sounds like this nangka mini is special if itís getting talked about. Anyone have a pic inside of the fruit ? Also is this soft-fleshed or a crunchy variety ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 02:58:24 AM »
They are a dwarf tree but still can get to 5m or so but are gracile. Fruit can be over 4kg and are good. Soft but not a sloppy type and low latex. They are certainly not a hybrid.