Author Topic: Seedless papaya  (Read 800 times)

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Seedless papaya
« on: November 29, 2023, 07:49:27 AM »
On my walk this morning I found this Rouge papaya tree that the animals planted but havnt looked at it in a while. It's growing in the shade of several pine and Sable palms behind the hedge row of clusias. Upon cutti g it open there weren't any seeds and never knew they could be Seedless. It's actually got less of a dumpster taste than the ones I planted. Small sized fruit though, maybe because it's in shade.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Seedless papaya
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 09:44:47 AM »
Female papaya's that dont get pollinated will produce seedless fruit, i believe they are considered parthenocarpic.
I prefer the taste of seedless papaya, much milder. Lucky find!

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 09:44:58 AM »
it depends on how they're pollinated.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 10:01:18 AM »
Could be Boron deficiency.I had the same this year on wild plants

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 10:36:49 AM »
I'll pick some of the next fruit it set when there ready and see if they all are Seedless. The other trees I did from seed I had cut the taproot while they were still under 1' to stress them into being fruit bearing. Seemed to have worked since I have no male trees.  That one without seeds, the rodents/birds get credit for planting. This tree gets absolutely no attention or irrigation either so boron deficiency could be it. Or could be some other factor like you all suggested. Thanks for information 👍 😀

MadFarm

• Royal Palm Beach, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 10:02:22 PM »
Quite common in female papayas. I prefer the taste as well

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 11:17:34 PM »
Yum, enjoyed a tasty seedless today! Must be fairly common, donít have many plants.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 06:30:18 AM »
The winter time papaya are always better since the fruit fly isn't as prevalent. I had nearly given up on them cause they were infesting all the fruit in years past. I don't eat much papaya after all that. It must have been the most perfect one yet so I harvested it.
That looks like an exact clone of the one I ate yesterday. Lol

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2023, 08:43:59 PM »
In my yard, I get a lot of variability in papaya taste also.

More often than not, the seeded fruit taste sweeter but they are sometimes bland also as also are the non-pollinated seedless ones. Overall, I usually prefer the seeded papaya.

Remember to fertilize them to increase your odds of having sweet fruit.

The cooler months usually are better odds of sweet fruit than the hottest months.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 02:37:07 AM »
Seedlessness is most common in the first fruit flush and seeds do happen as they age. The initial 2 seasons have better tasting fruit I reckon. I am not a fan of them too hollow in the middle and some types are solid all the way through

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2023, 06:10:18 AM »
I'll most likely just leave it to its own since nobody in my family really like them. But good to know all that info about them. There one loaded with larger fruit out back i just let the animals chew em up lol. At least until I get a dehydrator. Can anyone confirm that dehydrating will actually remove the garbage can flavor? The dehydrated ones in store bought trail mix were always good and this co.ing year I'll need a good way to preserve the harvests.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2023, 03:51:22 PM »
Poor varieties and many grown in a cool climate have a quality often referred to as nasturtium. An almost hydrocarbon taint. The solution to the problem involves an axe.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2023, 05:59:42 PM »
The one big one is getting the axe for sure since I got another 25' row of dragonfruit trellis installed real close. Plus the fruit are almost 15' up there.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2023, 06:41:13 PM »
I'll most likely just leave it to its own since nobody in my family really like them. But good to know all that info about them. There one loaded with larger fruit out back i just let the animals chew em up lol. At least until I get a dehydrator. Can anyone confirm that dehydrating will actually remove the garbage can flavor? The dehydrated ones in store bought trail mix were always good and this co.ing year I'll need a good way to preserve the harvests.

You will not end up with anything like the store bought Papaya chunks if you simply slice and dry in a home dehydrator. There is a lot of sugar and dye in those things. Actually, I have never been able to produce anything at all like the store bought stuff. What I made (with no added sugar) would be best descrribed as papaya hard tack, and I started with a good papaya! If anyone has had success with this you are welcome to comment. Pineapple is exactly the opposite--the home dried blows the commercial product away with rich full candy flavor and no added sugar.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 12:40:06 PM »
The dehydrated pineapple sounds much more delicious. Thanks for saving me the effort on the papayas. I did make some fruit leather from dragonfruit, grapes and some blackberries with some honey in the oven. It took forever though. Tasted great and good texture but the seeds need to be strained out next time around, it's a little too crunch. I'll try again next season or maybe.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2023, 01:14:58 PM »
A snack master dehydrator with the fruit leather inserts is worth the money. Most conventional ovens don't have the airflow to dehydrate things properly. I think some convection ovens and air fryers have dehydrate settings, though. I dehydrated a lot of mango leather this year and threw blueberries, cranberries, passionfruit juice, etc into the mix for variety. It all came out great.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 01:33:32 PM »
Thank you!  I'm going to research that now! Sounds like you made a good investment on that.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 07:16:36 PM »
Thank you!  I'm going to research that now! Sounds like you made a good investment on that.

Indeed! And that was 18 years ago. I have no idea if the new ones will last that long, but mine has.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2023, 06:00:06 PM »
I usually bring in papaya without thinking about what plant it was off. I am trying to remember and let you know if one is much better than another per a possible factor.

I just brought in a roundish papaya in almost full sunshine as on south side of a mamey sapote that is not too big. It is sweet and full of seeds. I had previously fertilized it 1 to 2 months ago as this and the extra sunshine is my guess as to why it is sweeter.

I picked 2 papaya today off a tree that fell over during Sept. when raining a lot but has since reestablished and started growing. Unfortunately it fell toward the house and the top I lifted with a brick to see if the papaya would finish maturing. They did but all have been bland and I'm guessing it is due to the house blocking the sun after 1pm on the top leaves. It also was not pollinated and seedless vs. the other roundish papaya about 50 yards away.

A greater amount of sunshine increases chance of a sweeter papaya.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 06:02:15 PM by palmcity »