Author Topic: Avocado seed growing  (Read 654 times)

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
Avocado seed growing
« on: December 03, 2023, 08:34:25 PM »
Anyone growing avocado from seed and experience this? Avocado pit turning black and breaking off? Is this normal or cause for concern?!

Rajski15

• Florida - 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado seed growing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 08:39:00 PM »
The question is, is it only the pit? what does the rest of the plant look like?
Any shoots/ roots?

If there is nothing else and its just the pit and this is what it looks like then im afraid its time to try again as this one is no good.

The avocado seeds that ive grown have all kept the pit even as they grew into small trees, they did all turn a very dark black.

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 10:06:07 PM »
The tree looks fine. I grafted it once and it failed and grew a new shoot. it's a zutano seed. I have a gem graft and the same thing happened. It seems to be growing fine for now. But other grafts this hasn't happened. Don't know if it's normal process or Im over watering or some disease. There seems to be some really small insects on it.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 11:03:02 PM »
Are you going to cut off one of those stalks after you retry tour graft?

That will be a very narrow crutch angle if you kept both.  Not sure if that works well for avocado.
On most trees, I would graft both and remove whichever is weaker or doe snot take and retain just on main stem from which a better shaped tree can be formed.

SplorKeLZ

• mmmm Cherimoya
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 11:32:30 PM »
Anyone growing avocado from seed and experience this? Avocado pit turning black and breaking off? Is this normal or cause for concern?!

this is very normal for many plants once they reach a certain age, not sure abt avocado though. on my jackfruit this was fine. it is usually a normal part of the plants life when it loses its cotyledon.

drymifolia_again

• Seattle 9a, sunset zone 5 (10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »
That's normal for avocados. I've grown a few hundred avocados from seed, and among those it usually happens between 9 months and 2 years from seed, where the seed remnant (actually the cotyledon) shrivels and falls off.

It isn't related to the cotyledon issue, bit the plant in that photo looks like it needs more light and a larger pot.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 09:54:28 AM by drymifolia_again »

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 04:20:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I was planning on cutting off one shoot but now I might graft both and cut off the weaker one.

And you are good. It does in fact need light and bigger pot. I left on a vacay and came back and it had grown very thin and tall. I start my seeds in small pots. I learned not to waste my time with weak seeds. this way I weed out the weak growing seeds. I'm trying to hold off until January to put in bigger pots.

drymifolia_again

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 05:42:09 PM »
I start my seeds in small pots. I learned not to waste my time with weak seeds. this way I weed out the weak growing seeds. I'm trying to hold off until January to put in bigger pots.

For avocados in particular, I've found the deep & narrow pots work really well, much better than standard 1 gal nursery pots (what yours looks like, and what I started out using a few years ago). My two favorite right now are Steuwe deepots (D60H) and Steuwe "Tall One" treepots (TP414). You can really cram a lot of seeds into a small area and the roots develop like crazy, with less soil per pot than the standard 1-gal (at least the deepots, the treepots are about the same). Here's what my seed germination area looks like this time of year:

What the roots typically look like on a deepot-grown tree by around 9 months from seed, when I pot them up (notice this one still has half the seed/cotyledon, the other half had recently shriveled and fallen off):

« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 06:49:06 PM by drymifolia_again »

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 08:51:16 PM »
Wow those are some serious roots. I've thought about those deep pots but everyone says avocado  roots like to spread. Do you see any issues after up potting? Or since you have tons of roots they spread out quickly after transplanting?

fishie

• USA, CA, Diamond Bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 12:32:14 AM »
I start my seeds in small pots. I learned not to waste my time with weak seeds. this way I weed out the weak growing seeds. I'm trying to hold off until January to put in bigger pots.

For avocados in particular, I've found the deep & narrow pots work really well, much better than standard 1 gal nursery pots (what yours looks like, and what I started out using a few years ago). My two favorite right now are Steuwe deepots (D60H) and Steuwe "Tall One" treepots (TP414). You can really cram a lot of seeds into a small area and the roots develop like crazy, with less soil per pot than the standard 1-gal (at least the deepots, the treepots are about the same). Here's what my seed germination area looks like this time of year:

What the roots typically look like on a deepot-grown tree by around 9 months from seed, when I pot them  ; ;DDup (notice this one still has half the seed/cotyledon, the other half had recently shriveled and fallen off):

Did you go from the D40 to D60? I picked up some D40s and do like the space savings from these pots. I believe I heard about it from you. Do you up pot from the TP414? Or into the ground at that point?

I have some of the taller ones if you want to try, Louie  ;D.
- Lucas

drymifolia_again

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 03:06:49 AM »
Wow those are some serious roots. I've thought about those deep pots but everyone says avocado  roots like to spread. Do you see any issues after up potting? Or since you have tons of roots they spread out quickly after transplanting?

Haven't noticed any problems as long as I don't leave them in the deepots more than a year or so, and closer to 9 months is better. I usually move them from either the TP414 or the D60H directly to 7 to 12 gal pots, or into the ground, that next size is then the final pot for almost all the trees, and they go into the ground after one or two years in that pot. Occasionally one moves up to 15 gal or so, but those are too heavy to have more than a few.

drymifolia_again

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 03:09:53 AM »

Did you go from the D40 to D60? I picked up some D40s and do like the space savings from these pots. I believe I heard about it from you. Do you up pot from the TP414? Or into the ground at that point?

As soon as the seeds start to germinate, I put them in either the D60H or the TP414, those are the two starting sizes I use. Next step is either 7+ gal or the ground.

fishie

• USA, CA, Diamond Bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2023, 12:31:56 AM »
Great info, thanks!
- Lucas