Author Topic: Wanted: 'Valentine' Pomelo Seeds  (Read 3319 times)

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Wanted: 'Valentine' Pomelo Seeds
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »
I am looking for Valentine Pomelo seeds, not a tree. This is because it is difficult to ship live trees to my location. The Asian Citrus Psyllid and the citrus greening disease makes it difficult to transport to Arizona. I am interested in seeds, not cuttings, as this is the only way to transport it without it being illegal.

-users.kymp.net/citruspages/pomelos.html
"One of the most promising pigmented selections, pummelo hybrid 6C-28-18, resulted from a cross of ‘Siamese Sweet’ pummelo x (‘Dancy’ mandarin x ‘Ruby’ blood orange)...Valentine fruit are round to somewhat pyriform in shape, usually with a slight to pronounced neck at the fruit base (stem end), but in some cases the neck is absent, resulting in a more typical spheroid grapefruit-like shape. The fruit apex (blossom end) is rounded and smooth. Rind color is medium to dark yellow for fruit harvested in Riverside in mid-February, with similar values for fruit harvested from the Lindcove Research and Extension Center in Exeter. Valentine does have seeds, averaging somewhere in the 20's per fruit. The rind is moderately easy to peel when fruits are mature. ‘Valentine’ combines large size and low acidity from its pummelo parent, complex, floral taste from ‘Dancy,’ and juicy red pulp from ‘Ruby.’
-citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/Valentine.html

This post is directed more towards Californians and Arizonians, as this variety had originated in UC Riverside.
I know it will takes 5-8+ years to fruit from seed and not true to type, but this is the only way to ship or transport this tree without smuggling.
Thank You. PM me if you have this.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: 'Valentine' Pomelo Seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 12:22:52 AM »
I've been keeping my eye out for this one as well. I just found two at Mimosa Nursery in LA and bought one. Trees label indicates that they came from Durling Nursery. 
Shane

lazygardener

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »
I have limited quantities of Valentine pomelo seeds.  The seeds are collected from a fruit grown at
Lindcove REC. The seeds are light pink in color.   I will pot them soon if no one wants them.

Ken

dxgn

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »
Hi Ken, If it possible that I can have some seeds too? I stay in Singapore.  Let me know how much is the cost of shipping + seeds? Thanks.

BTW, I know Polmelo can grow in true tropical climate. But I am not sure this hybrid will do well in the tropics. If not, I will drop the idea then.

Regards,
Jet

I have limited quantities of Valentine pomelo seeds.  The seeds are collected from a fruit grown at
Lindcove REC. The seeds are light pink in color.   I will pot them soon if no one wants them.

Ken

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:00:37 AM »

Ken
Hi! This pomelo is sweet or acid? Maby i'm interested...

lazygardener

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:19:10 PM »
Yes, the fruit is quite sweet and great flavor. No bitter aftertaste.

Sorry to say all the seeds have been committed.

Ken

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »
Sorry for abandoning this post, but next time you find some seeds, I'll try to respond.

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
I am also interested in Valentine pomelo. So somebody has it, Plz PM to me.

Thanks.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 07:13:56 PM »
Is valentine pomelo suppose to have seeds? Mine has thin rind and no seeds. First one i ever tried. I have few more hanging on tree, will see if they have seeds.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 12:44:46 AM »
Pau,

You're Valentine fruit has very dark red flesh, you must get some cold/frost days at your location. All my Valentine fruits only has pink flesh and some fruits only has a streak of red color in the flesh. Since I have a lot of different varieties grafted on all my trees, my fruit usually has a lot of seeds. My Valentine seeds do not have any pink color, just looks similar to a grapefruit seed but slightly larger.

Here's my Valentine fruit I just took photo recently of.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 02:20:34 AM »
Yes my valentine pomelo looks very different than what I see online. I do not know if it is a genetic mutation of that one branch as the fruit looked different than the other fruits. The skin resembled that of a myer lemon. My other fruit that is still green/yellow has skin that is bumpy and I can tell it is thick in rind without even opening it. This is my first valentine pomelo ever so I did not know what to expect. But the SEEDLESS is what amazed me. It is also very red and thin rind, different than what I see online. Most valentine pomelo i see online is like yours. Also, i didnt know cold makes a pomelo more red. Im in zone 9b northern CA

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 02:25:08 AM »
I do have some Valentine fruits that are smaller and they sometimes have no fruits also. But most of my fruits that are normal size (more that 1 lbs) have seeds since I have so many varieties grafted next to my trees. My tree is over 15 years old so the fruits are mature fruits on my tree.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 02:30:50 AM »
I do have some Valentine fruits that are smaller and they sometimes have no fruits also. But most of my fruits that are normal size (more that 1 lbs) have seeds since I have so many varieties grafted next to my trees. My tree is over 15 years old so the fruits are mature fruits on my tree.

Good to know, thanks for your knowledge!

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 09:28:44 AM »
Sorry wrong info
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 03:12:13 PM by Pneuma »
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

BenjaminJohnson

• USA,WA,Bellevue,8B
    • View Profile
    • https://eastsidegardening.etsy.com
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 01:09:50 AM »
I've heard that it's allowed to ship certified disease free budwood into AZ from the CCPP, but I'm not 100% certain.  Just an idea.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 03:22:12 AM »
The original poster has not been on since 2016. So, he probably found some seeds or doesn't care now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk